TIG brazing copper radiator baffle??m
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

TIG brazing copper radiator baffle??m

So I've never been any good at brazing copper. Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this hole ( bracket rubbed on it) . I think my past mistakes are getting it too hot and staring at the hole instead of building up a bead around the hole and working in. What kind of settings would you use? Pulse or not? I am planning to use silicone bronze.... Will that work?
    Yes I will be taking the radiator out to repair it.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Re: TIG brazing copper radiator baffle??m

I think that's brass not copper - silver solder it.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

you do NOT want to tig this.

braze? yes.. tig-no
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    I think that's brass not copper - silver solder it.
    Ok. So will a propane plumbing torch be enough? Don't want to melt trough it with OA.
    Will the solder fill the hole?
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

solder will flow like water, so when you get it hot enough to flow it can be difficult to fill a hole in a vertical orientation. There
    are brazing alloys for where you don't have a good tight joint, or in your case a hole to fill, for example joining copper to itself
    you can use Stay-Silv 15 which doesn't require a flux (on copper to copper joints only)

Harris has a brazing alloy selector HERE, use the drop down box to select the material

A real radiator shop would just use plain old 60/40 lead solder. BTDT a few hundred times over the decades. As for torch? A standard plumbers propane torch should be more than sufficient. The only trick to soldering is getting it all clean to begin with and using the proper flux. Silver solder is a very expensive OVERKILL! The radiator is built with 60/40 so why would you need to exceed OEM spec’s?
    Last edited by Rog02; 06-05-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

acid core solder is for radiator repair, use a propane torch , heat the radiator and tin around the hole and then pull torch back to build it up and close off the hole and your done..

Thanks

I like silver solder...
    Do not believe everything that you think.

the problem with using solver solder or brazing is the original radiator is all solder, and if you heat it too much to braze the whole thing will fall apart on you, you will have a puddle of solder and the tanks will fall off and the cooling fins will fall out...solder the holes with controlled heat and you will be fine....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252041687353 These work nicely for such things. Especially when you don't want to melt the surrounding joints. Nice focused heat.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

A large soldering iron works best but a micro butane is probably next best bet to keep heat only where you want it and the controlled heat from a iron is so much easier to do buildup.

I do a lot of silver soldering with 5% silver content. It is a lot more resistant to cracking that lead/tin solder types.

Made up over 100 of these tanks with brass bung silver soldered to Stainless tank and studs for mounting. It takes heat control for sure.

Stay-bright solder kit and butane if you don't have large soldering iron. Sometimes I like to preheat with butane and final solder with iron.

Last edited by danielplace; 06-07-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Why could you not just use the tig to heat the braze?