Help set me up for Flux Core
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Help set me up for Flux Core

Guys,

I'm needing help getting set up with a Flux Core rig. I weld outside on cellphone towers from the ground up to 300' in the air. I currently weld with a Lincoln 250GXT, 7018 3/32-5/32 in most cases. I weld anything from 1/4" thick pipe to 2" thick plate in overhead, horizontal and vertical positions. The metal always is galvanized so I have to grind it off before I do any welding. There is usually wind involved but it usually does not effect SMAW from what I can tell. So to my questions:

I am wanting to get into Flux core to help speed up my production and cut down on time on the tower. About all I know is that i need a suitcase welder, but I dont know anything about size or how exactly it is rigged up. Anyone out there have experience with what I need to get set up for this. Wire size, suitcase size/model number, exactly how the whole process works. Sorry but i have no experience with this, SMAW is all I have ever used. The company I work for is willing to buy all the equipment needed for me to start using this process, so money is not necessarily an issue.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I will have more questions.

Re: Help set me up for Flux Core

Quote Originally Posted by clint_taylor95 View Post
    Guys,

I'm needing help getting set up with a Flux Core rig. I weld outside on cellphone towers from the ground up to 300' in the air. I currently weld with a Lincoln 250GXT, 7018 3/32-5/32 in most cases. I weld anything from 1/4" thick pipe to 2" thick plate in overhead, horizontal and vertical positions. The metal always is galvanized so I have to grind it off before I do any welding. There is usually wind involved but it usually does not effect SMAW from what I can tell. So to my questions:

I am wanting to get into Flux core to help speed up my production and cut down on time on the tower. About all I know is that i need a suitcase welder, but I dont know anything about size or how exactly it is rigged up. Anyone out there have experience with what I need to get set up for this. Wire size, suitcase size/model number, exactly how the whole process works. Sorry but i have no experience with this, SMAW is all I have ever used. The company I work for is willing to buy all the equipment needed for me to start using this process, so money is not necessarily an issue.

All my flux core was from transforms
    But size you around 300 amps @60% duty cycle
    I found Tewco is gun fast changing of guns for size wire

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Guys,

The welding machine go to your local supplier
    Use one brand they stock.
    The best bands is Miller, Hobart or Lincoln

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

I would try some .068 Lincoln inner shield not sure if a 250 would burn anything bigger probably a LN25 with a 25 foot gun can’t remember wire number but I have some old LN22’s and I use 14 lb spools and do 1/4 and 3/8 a lot

You'll have to choose between a Miller 12vs or Lincoln LN-25 for the suitcase feeder. Feature wise they are essentially identical. Either one will get the job done. I use an LN-25 with 15' k126 gun for .062 through 5/64(.078) wires.

Setup wise just run your electrode lead to the feeder and the feeder pulls its power from the welding circuit. Set your engine drive to CV mode and dial in your voltage. It might help to have a remote control box so you can fine tune your voltage as your welding.

One thing to be aware of is that this won't work real well 300' up in the air unless you have some heavy (maybe 4/0?) Welding cables. Do you ground directly to the tower or run ground and electrode leads to where your welding?

It might be best in those cases to stick weld that stuff, or even run your machine as a generator and run 240v power up to a small machine.

Dont have any experience with the Lincoln 250gxt, but it should handle flux core just fine. You might want to stay with a 062 or 068 wires and make sure you you're not to close to maxing it out.

I tend to use Lincoln Nr-232 or 233, or Esab coreshield 8 wires.

Self-shielded flux core has a bit of a learning curve, but with 5/64" wire at around 250 amps I can probably weld about as fast a someone with a 3/16" or maybe even 1/4" 7018. And that speed can be maintained for the most part in the verticle and overhead positions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    1988 Big 50 Diesel CC/CV
    1982 Weldanpower 225/210
    1968 SAE 300 motor generator
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

The metal always is galvanized so I have to grind it off before I do any welding. There is usually wind involved but it usually does not effect SMAW from what I can tell.
    clint I worked marine construction all my life. We built a lot of all galvanized steel docks. Hobart’s self shielded flux core 21-B works great on galvanized steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

When i'm welding stick I just hook my ground to the base of the tower and run 1/0 up the tower to where I am welding for my stinger, sometimes 300'. It seems to weld fine using that size cable but 75% of the time I am only welding at 120 amps.

We are currently borrowing the Lincoln 250 GXT. We plan on getting a new engine drive as well so we arent borrowing one. What would you recommend as far as engine drive and suitcase setup that would fit my needs. What size self-shielded flux core should I start out with to practice. Say I am welding a 3/4" plate to a 3"diameter x3/8" thick pipe, doing a 3/8" fillet weld uphill.

This is a real nice setup!
    Use .068", or 5/64" wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Most suitcase welder threads argue for the 12vs, or ln25, over the 8vs because they cant take the bigger 12 inch spools, for the cost savings. I got a 8vs cause the cost of it was good, and am pleased with it.
    This sounds like a situation where the smaller suitcase might be better.
    Tho functionally similar, a 12vs empty weighs 36 lbs, a 8 vs weighs 28. With a full 12" spool of wire a 12vs, and I suppose a ln25 weighs about 80 lbs, but a 8vs with a 8" spool weighs 38lbs, and is a considerably smaller package.
    I did 15 years of tree climbing for the FS, been 260' up a fir tree, and many 200'+ sugar pines, and thousands of 150' trees, hauling **** straight up is work. Those towers are way taller. My vote is for a 8vs, and the lightest cables you can get away with.
    At least ya can ground to the tower and only haul one lead, I suppose.
    Last edited by Poleframer; 06-05-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Also look at the Lincoln Activ8 and if they still make it, the ESAB 300AVS, which I used to own and sold to a member here.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

What do the specs call for wire.

I have a miller 12vs and run Mig wire or dualshield. I really like it. Running .03-.045 Mig wire or .045-.052 dualshield. I’m setting up for fluxcore soon and I think I’m going to run a Bernard gun. I use the 33 or 44 lb rolls of wire. I prefer to run it on cc.