New Apprentice
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: New Apprentice

New Apprentice

Hello,

My name is Nima. I am from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I'm brand new to the field. I have been trying to get into the trades for a while and didn't know the best way to go about it.

I did a couple of insulation jobs and then took on a permit job with a union (Boilermakers Local 146).

I was registered as a 1st-year apprentice and given my first job which I completed. I did their assessment exam which was straightforward and easy and sent my high school marks and information and completed the initial certificates (BSO, CSTS-09, Fall protection, Confined Space, CPR, mask fit, etc.).

I thought everything was going well and was told I will get a response and everything should be fine but apparently, the job steward gave me a negative review (he did an assessment over a 2 day period - details not specified). I'm not sure what the next step is from here because I was told I can't take another job due to the review.

The situation is what it is. So now I have a Bluebook and ~280 hours. I need 1560 before I can go to school and don't know many welders or have many friends that can help.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm having difficulty finding a job since this is all I have for experience and am new. I'm trying to think positive here and find friends and have a career in the field and trade.

I don't want to talk about feelings or complain but I just wanted to say that I feel like I got "trapped" for a certain amount of time and am just trying to get to where I should be and have a means to the end I want.

I'm off to a bit of a late start as I just turned 32 and was working odd jobs which didn't go anywhere (factory, labor).
    Last edited by Nima Karimi-Busheri; 06-05-2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Update

Re: New Apprentice

I'm not aquainted with the Canadian procedures, however it appears you are Indentured to the Boilermakers Union since you say you are a registered apprentice. My initial suggestion would be for you to request a meeting with the Apprentice Coordinator to have him explain the situation to you.

If that doesn't work your next step would be taking a copy of your Blue Book to the Provincial apprenticeship authority for help.

However it goes, I think the Boilermakers have told you to go away.

You may be better off going to the Ironworkers or Plumbers if the Boilermakers don't want you, but talk to the Boilermaker Coordinator first.

Look closer at the "job steward".........just sayin.
    There are a lot of people in this world that get themselves a name tag( or a badge) that can become quite problematic......

You mean be careful around the job steward or in the future with him or into him? Or?

Yes, they essentially told me to "go away". They are sending me my Bluebook and I decide what to do with it. I spoke with the coordinator already.
    Don't worry what others think about you unless it's going to affect your future or livelihood or hurt you or someone else.

I just called both of them. Ironworkers is out of work even for members so they are closed.

Local 488 I know someone that works there that recommended it or possibly switching to an apprenticeship which sounds interesting.

They told me check the job board at 1:30 and see if there are any 1st year openings. We'll see how that goes.
    Don't worry what others think about you unless it's going to affect your future or livelihood or hurt you or someone else.

There are no jobs available.

Welcome sir, and best of luck with your situation.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I just skimmed your Facebook,

No doubt it's you, unique name - plus your main photo is a photo of a business card of a person in the BM union

You've got dozens of posts complaining about how You've been wronged, how it's not fair....and on and on.

You look like a a big headache from a long way off.

Any employer or organization sees that, I would deny your application too.

If you come off like that in person too - big problems

quotes - as far as i can tell - these are all open ended posted by you - no conversations with others -

Nima Karimi-Busheri updated his bio.
    21 hrs ·
    I'm waiting for everything to work out including the unfairness and truth. We're working on it.

Nima Karimi-Busheri
    22 hrs ·

They agree with me but it doesn't change it.

22 hrs ·

There needs to be some sort of law or process to stop unfairness.

22 hrs ·

There's a higher truth to the world and some people were against it (God).
    Li
    23 hrs ·

The thing I want is small communities to evolve past them in future generations.

23 hrs ·

I just want protection from them and the place in the world, life, & career I wanted.

23 hrs ·

I called it too and people said I was being paranoid and he's not like that.

Yesterday at 14:36 ·

Please help me get out of here I told people I’m not OK with this.

Yesterday at 14:33 ·

Can you please help me get out of here? People are trying to put me to sleep.

Yesterday at 14:23 ·

I want “this” to change one day in the “future”.

Yesterday at 11:13 ·

It's a little too late for forgiveness I just want my life (keep them separate).

Yesterday at 10:57 ·

I'm trying to get my freedom after what happened.

Yesterday at 02:50 ·

People tried framing this a certain way, you get it? The karma needs to come back.

3 June at 20:53 ·

This is going to balance out, right?

3 June at 13:41 ·

There was some form of exclusion from the community, financial, career, social, etc.

31 May at 10:03 ·

I also want my own space.

30 May at 12:40 ·

I want it to balance out and look at it as a discrimination, restriction, and persecution and then leave. What’s the problem/hold up?
    Last edited by 12345678910; 06-06-2018 at 10:51 PM.