amico mts-205 anyone have one
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

amico mts-205 anyone have one

been looking at them can find no reviews or videos on them. i know this unit is a newer one, comments anyone...

thanks
    frogg

Re: amico mts-205 anyone have one

I don't have one, but I have some comments. First, I wouldn't recommend one. I bought and reviewed an Amico TIG-225 so I at least have some experience with the brand.

The included accessories look to be mostly the same as what was included with my machine, and they are poor quality. I can't speak to the MIG gun, but I would expect it to be bottom of the barrel as well.

If you are primarily looking to MIG, consider that it doesn't show the drive system or even tell what size rolls it will accept. It comes with 4" rolls, so I would assume it accepts those, but can it use larger rolls? It says it can do aluminum, so can you get a spool gun for it? It comes with a roll of aluminum wire, so I assume they are figuring on running the aluminum through the included gun/liner. May or may not work well and if you mess up the liner, can you get another one (at least, easily)? What are the max voltage and wire feed speeds? Lots of more proven options out there with a lot fewer question marks.

If you want it for TIG, consider it will be lift start, manual valve gas control and no foot pedal or other remote amperage control. Not a huge deal, but understand it is the most basic of TIG welders. Also, the included TIG torch is terrible. Huge, bulky, heavy, stiff cable and with super cheap consumables.

For stick welding, again it is basic, though probably functional. The electrode holder is poor quality and the insulation on the work clamp cable and electrode holder won't hold up to much spatter/hot slag (they melt at rather low temps).

As a package, it doesn't some with a regulator. Not a huge thing, but most package setups include a regulator. The work clamp isn't the worst ever, but it isn't as good as it initially seemed either.

They claim a one year warranty, but it will have to be shipped back to them for evaluation if anything goes wrong (not uncommon, but be aware the user is responsible for shipping cost both ways). And the warranty in the manual isn't clear where you would even ship it. You have to contact them for an "authorized" location.

I will say, they responded quickly to my complaint of my machine having an incorrect gas fitting and sent me out a replacement rather quickly. However, the replacement was incorrect as well.

Those are my thoughts on that welder.

Even though I just bout the Tig205, I would not recommend a cheap mig setup. A mig is a mig, and there doesn't need to be any fancy bells and whistles, but the quality of components do matter a lot. The precision of the spool flow and the wire speed is paramount to ease of welding, whereas with stick, you are the controller of the speed of which you control the rod. Without being able to see the mechanism and innards (good rollers? hows the drag control?) it could be very problematic to make a good decent weld.

The package size is tiny- 13.4 x 9.1 x 17.3 in. I don't think it will take a standard spool size, and only the mini's. That drives up your cost.
    If your using only argon, thats an expensive fill compared to 75/25. Switching bottles all the time will get old quick.

The welding of aluminum is dependent on too many factors.
    You can run DC in reverse and run aluminum rods, and voila, welding aluminum.
    Or you can run DC tig with helium gas. (if you think argon is pricey... try pure helium!)
    or you can setup your mig for aluminum....but I don't know if those smoother liners will fit this model.

So advertising is certainly deceptive, and for 600 dollars, its quite a bit of coin.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls...606703523.html Lincoln 175T 220V (not tapped) sold for 250. Thats a nice deal.
    https://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls...602407358.html weldpac 100 with gas and cart for 300. Tapped unit, but still a good unit.

There are probably 5 good deal most of the time within 50 miles for under 300 for a good, reliable mig setup.
    Its always an interesting mix when they combine Constant current with constant voltage machines...

advise taken, looking elsewhere
    frogg