Unsure of which way to swing - Miller or Lincoln used
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Unsure of which way to swing - Miller or Lincoln used

Hey all, this is the first time I've posted on weldingweb. I've done a lot of reading and have taken advice from many of the posts here.

My rig was stolen and stripped last week, so I need to rebuild it - and that includes buying a new welder. From the local (read province wide) classifieds I've picked two I like. I have the choice of either a 2011 Miller Trailblazer 302 with around 300hrs on the subaru engine and 150' of lead, or a 2005 Lincoln Vantage 400 with 9000 hrs on a perkins Diesel - with freshly replaced motherboard, brushes and rad. The Miller is $4,800 and the Vantage will be $4,000 (CAD).

So far, though my previous welder was a Kohler powered Trailblazer and I really enjoyed it while I had it, I'm leaning towards the Vantage because I have the capability to haul it and I know my way around engine and mechanical maintenance so the 9,000 hrs doesn't scare me too much.

Thoughts? Am I right?

I should mention that I am a structural steel welder by trade, and will also use the welder for side work.
    Last edited by AdrianKanary; 06-11-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: More info

Re: Unsure of which way to swing - Miller or Lincoln used

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianKanary View Post
    Hey all, this is the first time I've posted on weldingweb. I've done a lot of reading and have taken advice from many of the posts here.

My rig was stolen and stripped last week, so I need to rebuild it - and that includes buying a new welder. From the local (read province wide) classifieds I've picked two I like. I have the choice of either a 2011 Miller Trailblazer 302 with around 300hrs on the subaru engine and 150' of lead, or a 2005 Lincoln Vantage 400 with 9000 hrs on a perkins Diesel - with freshly replaced motherboard, brushes and rad. The Miller is $4,800 and the Vantage will be $4,000 (CAD).

So far, though my previous welder was a Kohler powered Trailblazer and I really enjoyed it while I had it, I'm leaning towards the Vantage because I have the capability to haul it and I know my way around engine and mechanical maintenance so the 9,000 hrs doesn't scare me too much.

Thoughts? Am I right?

I should mention that I am a structural steel welder by trade, and will also use the welder for side work.
    They both great welders
    Some will like one brand over other
    So blue or red or witch one does your local supplier stocks they some parts in stock

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Re: Unsure of which way to swing - Miller or Lincoln used

Trailblazers are great little machines, I've owned a few of them with Onans and never had any trouble but I don't think I could justify paying what they're asking for them nowadays. And once you put a thousand hours on it it's only gonna be worth half what you paid for it. If it was me and the Lincoln runs and welds good and don't look like it's had the chit beat out of it I would get it. With the Perkins engine, as long as you keep it up you could probably allways get your money out of it.
    CR