What to look for in a used vert band saw
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

What to look for in a used vert band saw

Looking to buy used a vertical band saw for cutting aluminum primarily. Future could include steel and stainless.

What do you look for as far as speeds and brands?

Can machines that do wood also do other materials if you have the correct blades? Or whatever you call the band part that does the cutting.

Anyone remember a good thread discussing bandsaw that I should read up on?
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Re: What to look for in a used vert band saw

A wood saw can cut metal with a metal cutting blade, but the saw has to be capable of slower speeds.

I have looked in my area and I found very few wood cutting bandsaws that are capable of running slow enough to cut steel. Wood/Aluminum/plastics are one speed class, and steel or other hard materials are another. There are some new machines with DC motors and inverter controls that are capable of the wide speed range needed. But they are very spendy.

You might find a really old wood cutting bandsaw and re-engineer it to cut steel. But that's typically going to be a change that's not easy to reverse.

Jet makes a line of machines that they sell for wood or metal cutting. I did a quick search and a new saw was $2800 online.

IF you just need a machine that will cut wood and aluminum then any of the reputable brands will do the job. Delta, Jet, Rikon, all make decent tools. Some of the imported stuff is OK too.

Check out Woodcraft's website for info on what makes for a good/better/best quality tool. I seem to recall they have some buyers guides or the like.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Another difference is rigidity on the frame. You will need more blade tension to work properly on steel. Slowing down a wood saw with a gear reducer or other methods would probably allow you to cut sheet metal, but that would probably be about it without loads of work.

Quote Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
    A wood saw can cut metal with a metal cutting blade, but the saw has to be capable of slower speeds.
    No. Wood-cutting bandsaws run at speeds 10+ x that of metal cutting bandsaws, which often have other features unique to metal cutting, like chip brushes for removing chips from the blade.

The carbide blade on my table saw easily rips through 1/4" aluminum. Best to set blade height at the maximum, so blade tips cut, relatively, downward.

For a vertical bandsaw, consider the HF Bauer portaband, and build a tabletop mount for it. This makes for a cheap, powerful saw.

Wood cutting bandsaws work just fine on AL Talk to the guys at a REAL hardware for blade selection or look at MK Morse or Lenox' website.
    For steel ? Vertical ? Portaband on a stand(4" material max) or a Do-all $$$$.