Bending metal
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Bending metal

Bending metal

I have a tractor with two semi circles of metal that are used to attach check chains on either side. They are attached by two bolts each. The are bent and now need to be straightened in order for my new PTO guard to fit. I could try hammering them back with a sledge hammer while cold or heat them up with a torch before hammering them out. Which would be better for preserving the strength of the metal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Bending metal

This is a pic. I need to bend back in place the metal with the chains attached to them.

Just take the chains off and hammer it back.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Remove chains and you could hammer as stated above or flatten in a hydraulic press.
    Or make two new ones.

They appear to me they'd function better and with less tendency get bent with the twist like the right one has.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    They appear to me they'd function better with the twist like the right one has.
    Mike
    I thought they were designed that way until I bought a PTO guard . The guard uses the same bolts to attach, but unless the above pieces of metal are straightened, the guard won’t fit.

Take them off heat and beat them

There's a 50 50 chance you will throw the pto guard away before long the one thing they are really good for is skinning your knuckles when you are hooking up stuff
    Mike

Unbolt, press flat, bolt back on. Jobs like that were always a pleasure to do.
    My name's not Jim....

How long do you think it will be before their bent again, probably the first time you hang an implement on there. I could be wrong but I don't think thats where the chains should be connected, either that or somethings missing back there there.
    Last edited by CrookedRoads; 06-13-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    CR

What is that called that's over the PTO shaft now?
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    What is that called that's over the PTO shaft now?
    Mike
    That is a dust cover it comes off when you are using the PTO. The PTO cover keeps stuff out of the U joint when it is attached.
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225 converted to AC/DC
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers Clamps and Grinders

I agree with the others, I’d unbolt it, set it on a sturdy flat surface, and have at it with the BFH.

Sure, a little heat never hurts, just don’t get ‘Er too hot or she might twist round the other way on ya! Cooling shrinkage and the like.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    How long do you think it will be before their bent again, probably the first time you hang an implement on there. I could be wrong but I don't think thats where the chains should be connected, either that or somethings missing back there there.
    These hold check chains and not stabilizer chains and they are located in the correct place. They are not seen on most newer tractors because newer tractors use stabilizer chains to act as check chains. The purpose of theses check chains is to allow the implement to freely move left and right but limit or check the movement so the lift arms don’t hit against the tires. If I pulled a plow they would be used and I might bend the metal. But I just need to have them straight to get my PTO guard installed. I was wondering if heating the metal would weaken it so they would be more likely to bend again. I was also worried about the bolt spacing if I removed it for straightening. I was thinking about leaving it on the tractor bolted in place to keep the bolt spacing and heating it so it would bend easier and cause less stress on the bolts.

Remove and make another set with thicker material. Get two longer bolts then.

From what I see in the picture I'd use a 16" crescent wrench and twist them back straight without even removing them.