TIG Coolers
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIG Coolers

TIG Coolers

I've seen the various home brewed TIG coolers and am very impressed by the various designs and approches to cooling. My question revolves around building one for a Maxstar 150 STL. It is run on 220 VAC. I have an unexpected job coming up that will probably tax the limits of the current torch and the machine. I know the real solution is get a larger machine ,but that's not going to happen for about another 6-8 months. I think I can convert it to water cooling buy rerouting the gas by using a solenoid to select which way the gas flows, stock route or to the water torch. Using some adapters and fittings I believe it can be done. I have half way priced it out and figure I can do it for a little under $400.00 for everything. This includes the cooler , pump, torch and fittings. Any ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

Re: TIG Coolers

Dumb question: instead of messing with pumps radiators etc, have you considered running an open loop system using tap water? That solution should be extremely cheap.

Open loop tap water=least expensive. DIY recirculating cooler + fittings + mods = medium expense, a challenge, satisfaction of DIY. Factory setup =most expensive, quickest (and probably easiest) way to get to the job. I built mine, using stuff I had laying around, and a pump/motor for carbonated drinks purchased on eBay, cost under $50. Your choice.....Good Luck!

Not understanding your rerouting gas comment. You need a water cooled torch set up for this to work. Totally different from a non water cooled torch.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Its only a 30% duty cycle at 150 amps. adding a cooler won't help except to over load the welder and burn up the thing. Total waste of time and money.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Repair
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's.
    PRIMEWELD DEALER

A cooler is only for cooling the torch, power cable, and connecting block. It will not help with the limitations potentially posed by the welder. Ironically, if you have to stop periodically to let the welder cool down, that'll give time for the torch to also cool down, negating the need for the cooler.

Put that new torch money towards the bigger machine, and for this upcoming job, weld, wait, weld, wait, weld wait.....

Steve W.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

A typical 17 series tig torch is rated at 150 amps - 60% duty cycle.
    Your welder will overheat before the torch.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by bfjou812 View Post
    I've seen the various home brewed TIG coolers and am very impressed by the various designs and approches to cooling. My question revolves around building one for a Maxstar 150 STL. It is run on 220 VAC. I have an unexpected job coming up that will probably tax the limits of the current torch and the machine. I know the real solution is get a larger machine ,but that's not going to happen for about another 6-8 months. I think I can convert it to water cooling buy rerouting the gas by using a solenoid to select which way the gas flows, stock route or to the water torch. Using some adapters and fittings I believe it can be done. I have half way priced it out and figure I can do it for a little under $400.00 for everything. This includes the cooler , pump, torch and fittings. Any ideas on this? Thanks in advance.
    Use the proper adapter and you don't have to do anything except connect the lines and make the cooler. Without using the adapter you will have a mess of adaptation to do to get the gas out of the power and have the water return through the power lead.

As mentioned the torch is your kinda your temp limiter. Nice to have a cool torch as long as you don't run your little inverter machine into the ground. Don't wanna let out the majic smoke.

https://www.arc-zone.com/safeloc-con...071rshrmndf89p
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-13-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Not understanding your rerouting gas comment. You need a water cooled torch set up for this to work. Totally different from a non water cooled torch.
    Because the gas is in the dinse now.
    He means to get the gas out of the 25mm dinse where it comes through now so it can be connected to the gas line of the water cooled torch. The water has to return on the power lead once you go water cooled so it has to be powered by 25mm dinse and yet be a water line return connection also. They didn't make it easy to swap to a water cooled setup.

Thanks for all of the replies. one of the problems I'm having is the torch is getting hot before the machine quits. In fact I can't remember overheating the machine to the point where it shuts off. I'm talking about running it in t he 75-100 amp range. I'm still waiting on the final details on the job, dimensions , thickness, type of materiel. I agree on the weld and wait, but that may not really be an option. This is a side job apart from my real job which is currently taking up 60 -80 hours a week. I was figuring on spending about 2-3 hours a day on this as it is probably going to be piece work. Again thanks for your suggestions.

Get a second air cooled torch.
    The maxstar has a quick connect torch right?
    I use one at work all the time but have never removed the torch lead from the machine.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    A typical 17 series tig torch is rated at 150 amps - 60% duty cycle.
    Your welder will overheat before the torch.
    I think his hand might overheat first lol

Thanks for all of the replies. one of the problems I'm having is the torch is getting hot before the machine quits. In fact I can't remember overheating the machine to the point where it shuts off. I'm talking about running it in t he 75-100 amp range. I'm still waiting on the final details on the job, dimensions , thickness, type of materiel. I agree on the weld and wait, but that may not really be an option. This is a side job apart from my real job which is currently taking up 60 -80 hours a week. I was figuring on spending about 2-3 hours a day on this as it is probably going to be piece work. Again thanks for your suggestions.
    At 75-100 amps I don't think anyone would expect your machine to over heat - and neither would your 17 series torch.
    Your machine is 100% duty cycle at 100 amps.

Are you trying to hold it up at the head instead of the handle or something?

I'm confused by the need for water cooled based on your amperage needs?
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 06-13-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Over time 100 amps will eventually make the torch hot and uncomfortable to hold. That's why I went water cooled

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Over time 100 amps will eventually make the torch hot and uncomfortable to hold. That's why I went water cooled
    Exactly.

At 75-100 amps I don't think anyone would expect your machine to over heat - and neither would your 17 series torch.
    Your machine is 100% duty cycle at 100 amps.

Are you trying to hold it up at the head instead of the handle or something?

I'm confused by the need for water cooled based on your amperage needs?
    Just as motolife313 said. Welding for 5 minutes and stopping for 3-4 minutes , then repeating this over an hour or so will heat the torch. I don't use a glove on my torch hand very often, when I do ,it is a very thin one and doesn'y really offer any protection from the heat. Thanks for the replies

Try a little thicker glove for now. There seems to be ego getting in the way around here and guys saying the torch don't get hot

Just as motolife313 said. Welding for 5 minutes and stopping for 3-4 minutes , then repeating this over an hour or so will heat the torch. I don't use a glove on my torch hand very often, when I do ,it is a very thin one and doesn'y really offer any protection from the heat. Thanks for the replies
    Ah, I wear a glove

You don't have to worry about torch damage, so wearing a glove on your torch hand will hook you up.
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 06-13-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    Dave J.

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Name:  IMG_1056.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  86.0 KBheres a decent pic of the cooler I built

Ah, I wear a glove
    Yep I usually always where a glove on the torch hand, rod feeding hand not so much

Here's a pic of my cooler, and I STILL wear gloves....

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Ok, to alleviate the pain in my throbbing noggin, what is the lenth of your aircooled power cable? What is the brand of said power cable and aircooled torch?
    Last edited by shovelon; 06-13-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

This is a 150 amp max output inverter tig welder??????
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

This may solve your problem and stay aircooled if you are interested. This compact 17style torch system is rated to 180 amps. I purchased an optional adapter parts(special order, PNs on request) to fit a standard non valved 17 style flextorch to the 200 amp rated power cable(which is the key to running cooler). The power cable was described to me by TecTorch as being a dual cable swivel at the torch side. I also run TecTorches medium stubby gas lens. Runs noticeably cooler.

Name:  rocker_kategoriebild.png
Views: 240
Size:  322.5 KB

http://www.tectorch.com/Rocker%20Tig...ig_torches.pdf

shovelon, the torch is a 25 ' Weldcraft. The 12' Weldcraft that was on it previously did the same thing. The glove issue is one I don't want to change because I have a better feel for the manipulation of the torch. The heavier duty torch might be the way to go for now,I'll still need a cooler when I get the larger machine.
    motolife313, that's a nice setup. Does the gas go through the Dinse connector, which is the power cable? Water circulates around the power cable? I tries to find a drawing of that connector but was unable to. More research. Thanks again for your help.