Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 94
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    1,739

    Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    I need to make these 6x6 tube frames, like a door frame going into the ground, 45° corners fairly straightforward. So I hired a guy, I wanted him to work on the frames while I did other work, I figured it'd save me time, but here's how his cuts were coming out.

    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...71b762f586.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9e6ef25655.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac87a47a6c.jpg

    I had to spend so much time fixing grinding and cutting to get the joints to fit up properly.... He said he had experience with plasma cutters, I don't think he did, he was long arcing it so much it kept tripping the breaker, then he used cutoff wheels to make the rest of the cuts...

    I don't think I'm being too demanding, a straight line is a straight line, and none of those cuts were straight,

    And then I set up a test joint for him to weld with the MIG, 16ga square tubing, simple 90 degree joint, and he failed,
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...49a51b234c.jpg
    Maybe next time I try to hire someone I should just have them set up the MIG and weld a couple joints without any input from me and see how they do
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 06-13-2018 at 10:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,068

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Perhaps he will get better. Be thankful for the help and gently show him how you want it. If that is all you need him for the cut long and have him grind back.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Perhaps he will get better. Be thankful for the help and gently show him how you want it. If that is all you need him for the cut long and have him grind back.
    Maybe I was displeased because he made it seem like he had a lot of experience, I didn't want to let him try to weld it together. He kept saying he wanted to use 1/4" 7018 on 1/4 wall tubing


    Perhaps I should try to be more patient.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfield,CT
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    If you were closer I would work for you.....
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    A 45 minute drive is nothing....... Although it's probably more than that if there's traffic
    Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    If you were closer I would work for you.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    bar stool
    Posts
    133

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    You didn't conduct In Service training, did you?
    Did you rely on his Certs?

    He did do a nice job of laying the pliers on the table.

    Maybe you should grade on a curve.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,068

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    I hope he is trainable. At least now you know, he knows nothing. Show him the metalman way. I hope he's a positive contributed to your business for a long time.

  8. #8

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I need to make these 6x6 tube frames, like a door frame going into the ground, 45° corners fairly straightforward. So I hired a guy, I wanted him to work on the frames while I did other work, I figured it'd save me time, but here's how his cuts were coming out.

    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...71b762f586.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9e6ef25655.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac87a47a6c.jpg

    I had to spend so much time fixing grinding and cutting to get the joints to fit up properly.... He said he had experience with plasma cutters, I don't think he did, he was long arcing it so much it kept tripping the breaker, then he used cutoff wheels to make the rest of the cuts...

    I don't think I'm being too demanding, a straight line is a straight line, and none of those cuts were straight,

    And then I set up a test joint for him to weld with the MIG, 16ga square tubing, simple 90 degree joint, and he failed,
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...49a51b234c.jpg
    Maybe next time I try to hire someone I should just have them set up the MIG and weld a couple joints without any input from me and see how they do
    Typical for employees
    I found I had watch them every minute or cost me more money.
    If go some where they got day off save me money

    Dave

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

  9. #9

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    PS
    If train the first on second retraining was need too

    Dave

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    532

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    I'm not sure I could do that on purpose. Yeesh.

    Livin the dream.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I hope he is trainable. At least now you know, he knows nothing. Show him the metalman way. I hope he's a positive contributed to your business for a long time.
    I don't know if I want to try or not. I suppose I could give it a shot and see what happens
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Typical for employees
    I found I had watch them every minute or cost me more money.
    If go some where they got day off save me money

    Dave

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    I was hoping to avoid having to babysit someone
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotmatriks View Post
    I'm not sure I could do that on purpose. Yeesh.

    Livin the dream.
    I know right? And that's after 10 minutes of grinding,

  12. #12

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I don't know if I want to try or not. I suppose I could give it a shot and see what happens I was hoping to avoid having to babysit someoneI know right? And that's after 10 minutes of grinding,
    I did too it just cost me money not to babysit.

    Dave

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    2,011

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Hire an illegal. Get a Nicaraguan if possible. Coco can cut that with no mark, by eye.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,910

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    This and a drag tip. Notice the lip is trimmed. That's to clear the plasma head.

    Why aren't you bandsawing anyway?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My name's not Jim....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    358

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    So even using cutoff wheels he couldn't cut the line....maybe he needs glasses?


    EDIT: or was he already taking some sort of 'eye' medication...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    15

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Looks good!! Tack it!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    This and a drag tip. Notice the lip is trimmed. That's to clear the plasma head.

    Why aren't you bandsawing anyway?
    Thats a good idea with the speed square, it's not easy to move these things around the shop, I should try to set up the bandsaw for the rest of the cuts

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    bar stool
    Posts
    133

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    If you don't treat him right, and give him a raise by end of week, his mommie will be at the shop showing you what for. She don't take no s#!t when she's protecting her boy either.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    If you don't treat him right, and give him a raise by end of week, his mommie will be at the shop showing you what for. She don't take no s#!t when she's protecting her boy either.
    Hes an older guy probably 50,

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    358

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    ^^ That means his mom is only 65-70.... she could still put some hurt on ya'

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    ^^ That means his mom is only 65-70.... she could still put some hurt on ya'
    Haha,

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    How much are you paying this guy? I'll send my 16 year old son to work for you during the summer for minimum wage. He's got no practical skills, but he is a big strapping boy (6'1" ~200lbs), is highly intelligent and a quick study. Just a thought.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    How much are you paying this guy? I'll send my 16 year old son to work for you during the summer for minimum wage. He's got no practical skills, but he is a big strapping boy (6'1" ~200lbs), is highly intelligent and a quick study. Just a thought.
    I told him 25-40 based on experience, the work that he's done for me already has ended up costing me money.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Well I don't think my boy could do any worse of a job 😁

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,796

    Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

    Oh no he’s not worthy of the pay from the three pics you posted. How do you get along with him, is he a know it all that claims to be better than he is or is he an easy going good listener that is capable of learning?
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement