Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

He's an easy going guy, easy to get along with.

I put an ad on Craigslist, perhaps that was a mistake,

I'm not trying to turn this thread into one that bashes him, it's more asking what you guys would do in my position, he seems like a guy who knows a lot of different things, but that's not what I'm looking for.

When I was 16, I was making cabinets and furniture in my dad's wood shop/basement

When I started welding, and before I even touched a welder I read every book my library had on the subject, it gave me a understanding in the theory side, you'd be surprised how many young guys wanted to work for me, I told them go get some books and read up first so I'm not wasting my time teaching you basic terminologies, but they don't want to do it.
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 06-14-2018 at 12:32 PM.

There would have been a very short conversation when I saw the first "weld", either get it together or get gone. I might have grabbed a pair of gloves and a helmet to prove to myself there wasn't a problem with the machine first.
    I got over all the altruistic crap long ago, labor is only labor, not friends, not investments in the future, just extra hands producing profit.

Kids including those up to age 60 today are just along for the ride, with no intention of improving themselves or their skills. Be it the result of TV or Public Education or whatever we have evolved into a society of useless creatures who will occasionally perform one or two basic labor functions. That may be workable in a large operation such as car building, but it won't keep the doors open in a small shop. You see what's available, and regardless of how much you hope and dream, the available labor situation ain't going to improve.

Over ten years you'll make more money and keep more of what you make working alone and sticking with jobs you can do alone. You already knew that when you sent kids to the library and none came back. It's pathetic, but it's reality.

Late term abortion...REAL late. That's absurd, yet no surprise.
    My God man. I can show my house keeper gurl how to cut a damn tube, multiple ways, in 30 minutes. No problem.
    https://vimeo.com/214253581

if it were me, and you hired me to basically cut 45' cuts in 6x6, AND you gave me a plasma torch....

I'd ask for a few pieces of scrap 1/8th bar metal and a few slips of 20GA. I'd then build a jig that gave me exactly 45 degree miters on all sides.20 ga is to give me some play as I built the jig. C clamp it in place top and bottom so it doesnt move.

Probably take me 20-30 min to build the jig, but then each cut would be done in 5 minutes to perfection.

BTW if you build a jig, you can easier train your "guy" so that he cuts straight.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax718 View Post
    if it were me, and you hired me to basically cut 45' cuts in 6x6, AND you gave me a plasma torch....

I'd ask for a few pieces of scrap 1/8th bar metal and a few slips of 20GA. I'd then build a jig that gave me exactly 45 degree miters on all sides.20 ga is to give me some play as I built the jig. C clamp it in place top and bottom so it doesnt move.

Probably take me 20-30 min to build the jig, but then each cut would be done in 5 minutes to perfection.

BTW if you build a jig, you can easier train your "guy" so that he cuts straight.
    Not Hired. I can show a 10 year old how to blast a chalk mark with a plasma cutter in 2 minutes. It's a hell of a lot more simple than cutting up a loaf of bread
    Name:  plasmalaser.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  plasmalaser2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  120.0 KB
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 06-14-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Not Hired. I can show a 10 year old how to blast a chalk mark with a plasma cutter in 2 minutes. It's a hell of a lot more simple than cutting up a loaf of bread
    Haha

I'm not trying to turn this thread into one that bashes him, it's more asking what you guys would do in my position, he seems like a guy who knows a lot of different things, but that's not what I'm looking for.

When I was 16, I was making cabinets and furniture in my dad's wood shop/basement
    Well you know my advice, replace him with someone younger and eager to learn
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

A jig isn't a bad idea, but it really shouldn't be necessary imo

I cant buy 2'. 2 1/4 ...2 1/2...3 whatever.... like you guys. I buy sheets, make what I need to stock and shelve it.

Name:  plasmalase01.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  154.1 KB

Jig ?? Yeah. Cutting angles is a lil hard..

Name:  20170405_114131_resized.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  110.5 KB

Name:  P4071170.jpg
Size:  135.1 KB

Name:  20170425_101634_1493154514980_resized.jpg
Size:  79.8 KB

Your cutting in a single direction on flat stock. People cant even cut a baguette on a 45 degree bias consistantly through the whole loaf.This is why pre sliced bread is so damn popular. what he's asking for on a 6x6 requires he switches directions 4 times. Your basically doing the same thing, but you only accounted for one of the sides. Plus, he has a lot of cuts to make. You will have to make sure you reposition your guide 4 times, and at the proper angle each time.

And for the chalk line, you still used a guide. Looks like the OP's 45 degree cut was marked with a thick sharpee.

Id say cutting miters that line up without adjustment is harder than freehand work. Though that work is quite beautiful.

I understand that using the plasma cutter on the two sides that are not angled will be difficult because the cut itself would have to be angled and that's difficult to do with a plasma cutter in that case I would cut it a little bigger and then grind the angle

I would probably fire the guy that hired him.

Id say cutting miters that line up without adjustment is harder than freehand work. Though that work is quite beautiful.
    I'm not looking for perfection, but I am looking for something that's within an eighth of an inch all the way around, if both sides were out an eighth that leave you with a quarter gap which is impossible to fill

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I would probably fire the guy that hired him.
    Hey now that's outside of the scope of this thread although that might not be a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by metalman23 View Post
    i'm not looking for perfection, but i am looking for something that's within an eighth of an inch all the way around, if both sides were out an eighth that leave you with a quarter gap which is impossible to fill
    amen.

actually after much reconsideration, a gravity band saw would have saved you money and aggrevation. Set the cut, and walk away.
    414559, JET HVBS-712, 7" x 12" Horizontal / Vertical Bandsaw, 1400 bucks.

If you hired this guy for 40 bucks an hr for 8 hrs, its already 320 bucks.

actually after much reconsideration, a gravity band saw would have saved you money and aggrevation. Set the cut, and walk away.
    414559, JET HVBS-712, 7" x 12" Horizontal / Vertical Bandsaw, 1400 bucks.

If you hired this guy for 40 bucks an hr for 8 hrs, its already 320 bucks.
    Bring it over. I'll cut for $20 an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Well you know my advice, replace him with someone younger and eager to learn
    I have a and had a few youngsters in my shop. You will spend time watching and training and then the they will leave. It is not about alturism. Why hit reset, if this guy can be brought up to speed.

If you were hiring for a full time year round gig,
    I’d apply myself.

After TJ of course.

LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I have a and had a few youngsters in my shop. You will spend time watching and training and then the they will leave. It is not about alturism. Why hit reset, if this guy can be brought up to speed.
    I don't know if I can bring him up to speed

A lot of small shops are having this sort of problem. Right now there is a serious shortage of skilled tradesman, so it's all but impossible to hire someone onto a shop like yours or mine. A guy like you or me can pay well, but anyone who's skilled enough to come TIG weld aluminum for me could go up the road to a big operation that makes SS boilers and whatnot, and can get roughly the same pay, plus 401k, plus health insurance, plus an air conditioned shop, etc. And those operations can't find enough people. The people that do show up looking for work with us, well, you see what you've got.

Training is tough, too, because no one seems interested at starting at a training rate.

Same song and dance at every single shop I deal with.
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by bassboy1 View Post
    A lot of small shops are having this sort of problem. Right now there is a serious shortage of skilled tradesman, so it's all but impossible to hire someone onto a shop like yours or mine. A guy like you or me can pay well, but anyone who's skilled enough to come TIG weld aluminum for me could go up the road to a big operation that makes SS boilers and whatnot, and can get roughly the same pay, plus 401k, plus health insurance, plus an air conditioned shop, etc. And those operations can't find enough people. The people that do show up looking for work with us, well, you see what you've got.

Training is tough, too, because no one seems interested at starting at a training rate.

Same song and dance at every single shop I deal with.
    Heck, I'm tempted to go work for a company with benefits like that

In Florida, most guys who are looking for welding jobs are pretty useless for a job shop so we always tested them. I found that you could quickly tell if a guy knew what he was doing with a simple test where they had to do some layout, cutting and welding. One thing I did for millwrights was have them make a 6x8 offset transition out of 1/4 plate, and if it was for more structural type work I would have them cut a peice off the end of a scrap I beam and tack weld it back onto the flange of the beam, then stand it up to weld it so they had to do some welding in all positions. Simple stuff but so many guys would struggle trying to do these tests, some would give up and just walk out and some couldnt even figure out the simple instructions to even get started. Most of the time the guys that were good I could stop way before they even finished the test. You can make a test for pipe work or sheet metal, a machinist or whatever and just let them prove that they can do what they say they can.
    Last edited by CrookedRoads; 06-14-2018 at 08:07 PM.

CR