Is this a class b truck, and is the license worth it?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this a class b truck, and is the license worth it?

So I work at a lumber yard and we get different answers from every agency we ask. We have a international 4300 dt466. It is plated at 26k and has airbrakes.
    Since forums are always the best place for legal advice I figured I'd ask you guys lol.

Also, is a class b worth it? Will it open enough jobs or opportunities to justify is expense and the limitations that come with a cdl compared to an A.
    If this is a class b truck Im sure the owner would let me take the test with it.

Re: Is this a class b truck, and is the license worth it?

This is in Indiana sorry forgot. I also have a for hire endorsement on my license so I can drive up to 26k no airbrakes I think.

From FMCSA

"Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.

Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

Class C: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73."

It's based on the manufacturer's weight rating (on the door tag) of the truck, unless it weighs more than the rated weight. It doesn't matter if the truck is registered for less weight; if the door gvwr is over 26k you have to have a class a or b. I'd be willing to bet that it's rated for more than 26k since it has air brakes.

Indiana may also have other requirements.

Regardless of the weight class, you will have to have an air brake endorsement. Since you will have to go through the testing anyway, you might as well get the class b.

Zach
    Last edited by WTXBTUMOVER; 06-13-2018 at 08:00 PM.

In Indiana I dont think we have an airbrakes endorsement without a cdl. So that's why I believe regardless of weight you need a class B in Indiana.

Max and Moto...

driving team coast to coast. I can see it now.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Max and Moto...

To be fair, Im actually fairly paranoid about running legally and safe. No trying to hide an extra 10 tons of gravel "in the corners" for me.

Worst I have done is run a stock trailer with no trailer brakes and baldish tires for my gf's mom, which I dont like doing. If I was on the clock I would flat out refuse. Part of the reason I'm trying to get a better idea of what Im dealing with here. I currently wont take this truck off the lot because I dont think its legal for me to.

Altho... with my cheap junk vehicles and moto's rule bending, we would either be the more cost effective team ever, or kill several buses full of puppies and nuns. Wont know till we try tho!!!!

a class b is not that hard to keep up and then you know your covered. Cant sip a beer and drive it does lower were your considered impaired. and a physical every couple of years. if you get busted on the cell phone its a lot different fine costs, experience talking here
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

From what I was told, in CT you don't need an air brake endorsement if your truck is under CDL, other states might have the same rule, I was thinking about buying a hino truck with air brakes a couple years ago.

If you're under 26,001 then you don't need a CDL, and it looks like you are, so you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    From what I was told, in CT you don't need an air brake endorsement if your truck is under CDL, other states might have the same rule, I was thinking about buying a hino truck with air brakes a couple years ago.

If you're under 26,001 then you don't need a CDL, and it looks like you are, so you should be good.
    I believe the CDL is not required in VT under 26000, even if you have air
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Remember Commercial Endorsements are a Federal interpretation also.
    Depending on the DOT Enforcement Officer, he may be using the "other" book that day.
    State requirements don't always apply!

Quote Originally Posted by drujinin View Post
    Remember Commercial Endorsements are a Federal interpretation also.
    Depending on the DOT Enforcement Officer, he may be using the "other" book that day.
    State requirements don't always apply!
    Absolutely.

Same thing goes for all these wack jobs walking around smoking weed in public ... thinking they are safe because of a state law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Looks like I'll be trying to contact Indiana dot. State Boys don't really come into our county much. Local and sherif MIGHT pull us over if we are being stupid.

Dot on the other hand likes to spend a dew days in our county racking up fines as fast as they can. Poor farmers those days of the year.

If you are going to pay to get a CDL class b then you might as well go all out and get the class a. Same penalties associated with both class a and b but less opportunities for employment with only class b license.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Stand corrected on the state police. Saw one on my way home today. Guess they just blended in with city before to me.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    If you are going to pay to get a CDL class b then you might as well go all out and get the class a. Same penalties associated with both class a and b but less opportunities for employment with only class b license.
    That's I was thinking, but can I get a class a license in this truck with no trailer? It's also automatic so no stick endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Zubrenic View Post
    That's I was thinking, but can I get a class a license in this truck with no trailer? It's also automatic so no stick endorsement.
    Stick endorsement?? Good grief.

I thought that was just a truck driver story... I didn't realize it was actually true...

I believe it though... My company hires guys who can't drive anything but an auto

As far as getting your class A without a trailer... WHY??

If you are going to get a class A license, Do it right. Learn how to back in a trailer and do basic maneuvers ... otherwise you are a hazard on the roadways.

Also learn how to drive a stick.
    What happens if you break down and the tractor they bring you has an 18 speed??
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Max and Moto...

I like the sound of it! We would be the best of the best. I'd be in the 105,500 pound truck whatching Johnt pull out of LOVES cutting of cars like a mad man trying to get back on the road

Stick endorsement?? Good grief.

I thought that was just a truck driver story... I didn't realize it was actually true...

I believe it though... My company hires guys who can't drive anything but an auto

As far as getting your class A without a trailer... WHY??

If you are going to get a class A license, Do it right. Learn how to back in a trailer and do basic maneuvers ... otherwise you are a hazard on the roadways.

Also learn how to drive a stick.
    What happens if you break down and the tractor they bring you has an 18 speed??
    I was under the impression that you had to take the test in a manual truck for your license to allow you to drive manual. Is that wrong?

And I am learning how to drive a 5 speed right now getting pretty decent at it. But I havnt had a chance to learn on a non synchronized trans. I understand the splitter and high low but never had a chance to try one.

What kind of truck or car is the 5 speed? If u can float the gear in a gasser then diesel with be piece of crum cake

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    What kind of truck or car is the 5 speed? If u can float the gear in a gasser then diesel with be piece of crum cake
    Do you have a class A?
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

I wish, I'd be driving semi for FedEx instead of box truck, my brother does and he said we can rent a truck and practice in a quit parking lot, then I can just go for the test instead of going to school, obviously study the book aswellName:  IMG_7270.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  103.2 KB

Since you don't have a class A then telling some one how easy it is to drive or shift gears in a big class a vehicle does not make you look very good. Just saying .02˘

it's not a piece of cake all the time. For example if you are going up or down a grade your vehicles speed will be changing and you have to know specific RPM feel to Road speed to get the gears to mesh and go in with out grinding. It takes time and not a piece of cake when you are just learning how to drive a stick shift.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

U don't need a cdl to drive one. Lol

Once u get good at it it's easy to do, and a diesel is 2x's as easy to float a gear as diesel because U have half the rpm range and that's a fact is what I was getting at, the principle is the same no matter how much gears of what size truck. I'm guessing u only have heard how to do it but actually don't know how. Up hill is less rev and down hill u gota pull it out quick and rev it a lot more to do a downshift yes becuase it starts gaining speed as soon and u pull it out of gear especially if loaded.
    Last edited by motolife313; 06-16-2018 at 11:28 AM.

N2 do u know how to float gears?

It's a 98 subaru. And I can kinda float 4th up to 5th but that's all. I'm a bit scared to practice as I don't want to damage it before I pay it off lol