New tools at work
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

New tools at work

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Re: New tools at work

YAY ! Why ? I can do it as fast with a 9" grinder. If you do it all day---every day. AWESOME. If not. Hmmmm ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    YAY ! Why ? I can do it as fast with a 9" grinder. If you do it all day---every day. AWESOME. If not. Hmmmm ?
    Time, did that whole plate in about 20 min

Less than 5 minutes with a good Makita and a 36 grit fiber

But you don't get the 19 minutes of texting and surfing the web....
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

I like it. Very cool.

I think you are exagerating a little bit Bonzoo. Please take a pic of this setup you speak of. If it what I think it is that fiber would not last long enough to do that whole plate. They are not cheap either. I would probably use a track torch to cut that chamfer and clean it up with a fiber disc.

double post!

is that a power feed?

at the shipyard we had one that looked very similar without the under plate and other bits... hand held. basically leaned into it and slid it along the plate edge.

its cool and makes a perfect bevel but didn't really get used that much. mostly used to step plate down from say 1/2" to 1/4" where the uniform appearance was important. a torch and grinder are just as fast, but not quite as pretty.

i dont know what they cost but always thought a jig could be made for a hypertherm 45 and be faster, cheaper, and more useful all around. probably comparable is price too

i used a burn bar ( 3" wide piece of SS, probably 16-14g with magnets, would bend just enough to follow the shape of a hull) for my torch and with it i could run laps around the bevel router.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    is that a power feed?

at the shipyard we had one that looked very similar without the under plate and other bits... hand held. basically leaned into it and slid it along the plate edge.

its cool and makes a perfect bevel but didn't really get used that much. mostly used to step plate down from say 1/2" to 1/4" where the uniform appearance was important. a torch and grinder are just as fast, but not quite as pretty.

i dont know what they cost but always thought a jig could be made for a hypertherm 45 and be faster, cheaper, and more useful all around. probably comparable is price too

i used a burn bar ( 3" wide piece of SS, probably 16-14g with magnets, would bend just enough to follow the shape of a hull) for my torch and with it i could run laps around the bevel router.
    It is a power feed unit, I did 520 inches of 3/8x3/8 bevel in about 20 min, and it cost $35k

Quote Originally Posted by colindstark View Post
    It is a power feed unit, I did 520 inches of 3/8x3/8 bevel in about 20 min, and it cost $35k

Holy chamfer Batman, that is a lot of money no matter how fast it is. You have to chamfer a lot of plate to pay for that. I do not see it being cost effective at that price. I guess a fiber disc isn't that expensive after all. I have seen them far cheaper than that in the past . I would have guessed $3-$4K at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I think you are exagerating a little bit Bonzoo. Please take a pic of this setup you speak of. If it what I think it is that fiber would not last long enough to do that whole plate. They are not cheap either. I would probably use a track torch to cut that chamfer and clean it up with a fiber disc.
    Video on the way....3-4 daze

Holy chamfer Batman, that is a lot of money no matter how fast it is. You have to chamfer a lot of plate to pay for that. I do not see it being cost effective at that price. I guess a fiber disc isn't that expensive after all. I have seen them far cheaper than that in the past . I would have guessed $3-$4K at the most.
    We're a large tank shop and have started doing thicker tanks that require beveling before subarc

Plate nibblers or bevelers are the way to go. Grinding is slow and labor intensive. You get an accurate bevel and you can put a helper on the machine and give the fitter more important work. The big caveat is that you need sharp cutters which means the company has to be willing to send out the cutters for sharpening or replacing on a regular basis.
    Grinding actually is one of the most inefficient ways to remove metal. It takes considerably less power to cut the steel than it does to grind. There are tables that give numbers on power required to remove metal using various tools such as drills. milling cutters, single point tools and grinding. Grinding always loses out.

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    Plate nibblers or bevelers are the way to go. Grinding is slow and labor intensive. You get an accurate bevel and you can put a helper on the machine and give the fitter more important work. The big caveat is that you need sharp cutters which means the company has to be willing to send out the cutters for sharpening or replacing on a regular basis.
    Grinding actually is one of the most inefficient ways to remove metal. It takes considerably less power to cut the steel than it does to grind. There are tables that give numbers on power required to remove metal using various tools such as drills. milling cutters, single point tools and grinding. Grinding always loses out.
    Totally agree, this particular machine used carbide inserts with four sides per insert and tell head changes worth is only $90

Get negative rake carbide cutters and you get 8 sides per insert.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Video on the way....3-4 daze
    Thanks Bonzoo! I look forward to watching it.

I still think a track torch is more efficient and cost effective. It could even be setup with a plasma torch to make it more cost effective. It would probably be 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of that gizmo and as fast or faster.

I still think a track torch is more efficient and cost effective. It could even be setup with a plasma torch to make it more cost effective. It would probably be 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of that gizmo and as fast or faster.
    I agree it would be cheaper, but you'd still have to use a grinder to prep for welding, and some alloys lose there corrosion resistance with repeated heat cycling

A plasma torch would take care of most of the heat cycling problem. It looks like that plate edge was flame cut to begin with in that video but it is a little hard to tell. Clean up with a grinder would not be more than a few minutes. I was including clean up in the time allowed for the chamfering. I think it would still give that gizmo a run for its money time wise. It might even be cheaper to operate depending on how long those carbides last. An intermittent cut is hard on carbides.

Thanks Bonzoo! I look forward to watching it.
    I didn't get after it today....kabobs and hair cuts and stuff... I's on da way.

I didn't get after it today....kabobs and hair cuts and stuff... I's on da way.
    No hurry.