Trouble finding scrap metal...
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Trouble finding scrap metal...

Hello folks,

Hoping to get some suggestions on where to find scrap metal. I’m very much a newb at this and just a backyard hobbyist so buying new pretty steel really isn’t for me, yet anyway. The nearest scrap yard that will actually let me walk the property and pick out the items I want is a 100 mile round trip. The scrap yards closer to me either don’t sell used material (they only buy it) or they want me to tell them what I need and they’ll go find it.

Any suggestions out there? I’m sure backyard guys like me are using scrap instead of shiny pretty stuff.

Thanks for any input!

Oh btw, I’m in St. Tammany Parish Louisiana if anyone knows of something. Thx!
    Hobart Stickmate LX235 AC/DC 230V

Re: Trouble finding scrap metal...

Check Craigslist in the free section, materials, or business.
    is there a Local steel supplier near you ? Give them a call and see what they have in drops.

Do you have a local dump? Ours has a section for appliances and metal. I've found engines, transmissions, transfer cases, complete axles, etc. I've pulled some good stuff from it on occasion. It might help that I know the people in charge. I think the way they see it sometimes is the more us dumpster divers take, the less often they have to have it hauled.

Put an add on craigslist and say your a welding student looking for metal, wow what a great idea, maybe I should do that
    CR

These are good ideas, thanks! I’m guessing “drops” are the lengths they cut off for contract work eh? Do they usually charge less for the drops?

The dump is a great idea, I do have a dump a few miles away. We usually have to pay by the pound to dump stuff but I’ve never asked if I can take stuff away - lol. They may look at me funny at first. Haha.

Craigslist is a good option but I haven’t seen much there yet. I’ll keep checking.

Thanks all!

Bed rails/frames are a good source for making some projects. They have an epoxy finish that must be ground off in the welding area but the steel used is pretty hard so it is kind of hard to drill. It is a rare time when I pass it by as it is free for the pickings. A grinder with cut-off wheel and punch takes the rivets out easily. Some people believe the steel used is junk steel but it is not. It is blended to make the frames more rigid, as in stiffness. For free it is hard to beat. Bob

Yes, drops are the leftovers of the metal shops. Around here they are around half the cost of full or custom cut pieces.

As far as dumpster diving, it's often forbidden due to liability or just the fact that others before you were pains in the a$$ that ruined it for the rest of us (made a mess or took what they weren't supposed to). This was especially true back in the hay day of the "scrappers".
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

I work at a Kubota dealer about 1/3 of all tractors we get in come in large steel disposable crates there about nine by five good square stock and lots of angle pieces we throw them in the dumpster at least what I don't gather up I haven't bought steel in ages if you have a tractor dealer nearby you could always check

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I seen a scrap metal bin at a fab shop I deliver to and seen he had nice 1/8" aluminum sheet in it. They were about 2'x3' and figured 1$ per pound was fair deal for the bolth of us. He said ok

Check with garage door installers, they bring back the old tracks and springs from a new installation and have to get rid of them, the tracks can be utilized for all sorts of framing.

Check with fab shops, machine shops or even large manufacturing shops.
    They all have some need for weldable material and may have small pieces they will sell.
    Make friends, coffee and doughnuts or pizza might help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Westbrook View Post
    I work at a Kubota dealer about 1/3 of all tractors we get in come in large steel disposable crates there about nine by five good square stock and lots of angle pieces we throw them in the dumpster at least what I don't gather up I haven't bought steel in ages if you have a tractor dealer nearby you could always check

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    All good ideas folks, thank you. The Kubota dealer thing seems viable. I have a couple of dealers very close that I’ll check with thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Check with fab shops, machine shops or even large manufacturing shops.
    They all have some need for weldable material and may have small pieces they will sell.
    Make friends, coffee and doughnuts or pizza might help too.
    Snacks do help! Lol

Fuel costs looking for scrap are a big consideration. That has to added into the overall price. Time is a biggy, unless looking for scrap is an enjoyable part of the fabbing hobby. For some it is and that's great if so. Cuts cost money, doesn't matter if it is a blade, zip disc, torch or plazma, all that needs to get plugged into the scrap price. Never having just the right size,,,,, that's another problem I've run into with junk yard scrap, that or nearly impossible clean up. I dunno. Don't get me wrong, I do have and get a lot of scrap, but it's all either dropped right in my lap or I've tripped over it so many times it's obvious I need to give it a home but I don't go looking for scrap anymore.

Do yourself a favor and buy a couple of sticks of brandy new stuff. You'll see the light.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

i work for a place that builds and remodels mofular buildings..classrooms ..offices etc...all these companies seem to have scrap tubing...angle bar...h beams etc ... from when they pick up used buildings we spent a month torching and scrapping somr of it wich i made me 2 welding tables and stocked up on random metal. I don't know if you might find a yard that mskes or refutbishes modular /mobile buildings if you find one ... youll get plenty scrap metal ...they don't wanna pay to get it scrapped

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jd_830 View Post
    i work for a place that builds and remodels mofular buildings..classrooms ..offices etc...all these companies seem to have scrap tubing...angle bar...h beams etc ... from when they pick up used buildings we spent a month torching and scrapping somr of it wich i made me 2 welding tables and stocked up on random metal. I don't know if you might find a yard that mskes or refutbishes modular /mobile buildings if you find one ... youll get plenty scrap metal ...they don't wanna pay to get it scrapped

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
    Whoa! Awesome. Good tip, I’ll try as we do have an operation like that pretty close. Great advice from all!

And Sandy, I’ll definitely use the brandy and shiney when I get some more hood time. I’m so green that I’m welding and breaking to test strength and stuff like that. I just can’t afford to invest in quality materials right now but appreciate the nod for the good stuff. It’ll be coming soon I’m hoping!

HD,
    Try the Honda atv dealer between I12 and 190. They usually have a few of those shipping frames they will let you have. Also, some of the lawnmower shops give them away too. If there is anything else you need, let me know. I bet we don’t live far from each other.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gary miley View Post
    HD,
    Try the Honda atv dealer between I12 and 190. They usually have a few of those shipping frames they will let you have. Also, some of the lawnmower shops give them away too. If there is anything else you need, let me know. I bet we don’t live far from each other.
    Gary
    Cool, thx Gary. Yep I’m in Simalusa Estates off Lee Rd. North Covington.

If you depend on scrap metal you wont get anything done.Projects made from scrap always look like scrap.You are penny wise and dollar foolish.Bed iron is high carbon steel,it will ruin drill bits and hack saw blades.It will crack near welds often.Buy your steel from a steel yard.Ive welded since the mid 50s.