Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

    I purchased a couple of these torch sets (which arent cheap if youre familiar with them) and wanted to know just how thorough the customer service is with the company handling them, Detroit Torch.

    Now, the sets themselves are really well made, but for such an investment--even though they lack the handy boxes they once had as Henrobs and Dillons--, i was curious how accessible their warranty ("lifetime") and service dept. is, and it turns out with my experience, not very.

    I've been unsuccessful at receiving a call back from leaving voice messages on their phone line and the warranty number on site is literally an unavailable number. 'Not exactly instilling brand confidence there; i get people are busy, but thats just sloppy.

    I did manage to finally contact somebody on their Facebook page, but only after numerous messages over a span of days, and was... sort of... informed that "that page handles the warranty work". Again, less than inspired, and I dont think sending my gear to some dude on a Facebook page in the event that something goes bad seems very smart on the customer end.

    I heard good things about this company and the owners, and theyre all american made (and great torches by the way), but my experience has been shaky at best. What do any of the other DHC2000/Henrob/Cobra users make of this? Surely i'm not the only one!

    Feedback very welcome.
    Last edited by Jonathan Bradley; 06-16-2018 at 04:44 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    2,216

    Re: Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

    Cobra torches are a scam.

  3. #3

    Re: Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Cobra torches are a scam.
    Would you care to elaborate?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Posts
    121

    Re: Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

    I've used my Cobra torch for awhile and purchased several tips, etc from Detroit Torch. Very happy with both but I've never had a service requirement so I can't vouch for their warranty. George Goehl and Kent White (both have YouTube videos) use them and Kent even lightened his up by removing the cast handle assembly since he uses his for welding/brazing but apparently not for cutting.
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    2,216

    Re: Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradley View Post
    Would you care to elaborate?
    No reason to. I bought one and unloaded the POS three weeks after.
    Ya see. Crap like that won't make you a welder you aint.

  6. #6

    Re: Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    No reason to. I bought one and unloaded the POS three weeks after.
    Ya see. Crap like that won't make you a welder you aint.
    Well, "OK" is probably the most appropriate answer to that. . .

    Anybody else with company input and/or experience?

  7. #7

    Re: Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

    Quote Originally Posted by JimboTN View Post
    I've used my Cobra torch for awhile and purchased several tips, etc from Detroit Torch. Very happy with both but I've never had a service requirement so I can't vouch for their warranty. George Goehl and Kent White (both have YouTube videos) use them and Kent even lightened his up by removing the cast handle assembly since he uses his for welding/brazing but apparently not for cutting.
    Jimbo, thanks for the feedback.

    That's the thing, these torches are top-notch (i think the price point and practice required to use them turns some people off/brings haters), but the service people behind them just had me scratching my head when i looked into it. I'm just hoping my experience with them was an errant one.

    Yeah, some aircraft guys who use this torch, from what I understand, prefer that aluminum casing off the handle to keep the weight down. However, I enjoy its cutting ability, so mine stays on.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Posts
    121

    Re: Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

    I watched a YT artist making a sculpture out if rebar and he was welding and cutting using the Cobra with the cutting head. Small enough to maneuver within the artwork.
    It startled me when I got MY first good cut on sheetmetal. Narrow crisp cut. Does have a learning curve but I enjoy mine.
    I keep watching the TIG welding videos but at my age Oxy/fuel meets my hobby/DIY needs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

  9. #9

    Re: Detroit Torch (Cobra/Henrob/DHC2000/etc.) Dodgy CS, help?

    Quote Originally Posted by JimboTN View Post
    I watched a YT artist making a sculpture out if rebar and he was welding and cutting using the Cobra with the cutting head. Small enough to maneuver within the artwork.
    It startled me when I got MY first good cut on sheetmetal. Narrow crisp cut. Does have a learning curve but I enjoy mine.
    I keep watching the TIG welding videos but at my age Oxy/fuel meets my hobby/DIY needs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I enjoyed GTAW a lot in school, and I bet you would too (it was pretty choice for most aluminum), Jimbo, but I will say, unless its a funded situation, ponying up for the Argon mixes, 7+ lenses, various tungsten sets and torch heads expense is already sounding "old" as I type this. (Lol) This TN heat makes it tough to do much torch welding though!

    Still welcoming any input on Detroit Torch's service dept./experiences., if only to save others some grief.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement