Thermal Dynamics SL100 torch start cup
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thermal Dynamics SL100 torch start cup

I recently bought a TD Cutmaster 102 for $950. The torch wasn't working, so I found a repair shop that had a torch, and got them to test it for me. It worked just great.

So, at first, with the torch that came with the machine I was getting the 80 psi error. Consumables not in place. So, after searching the manual, It seemed that the lower end fitting of the start cup was back too far. I drove the lower end fitting out just under an eighth of an inch, reassembled the torch, and started up the plasma.

Now, I'm getting the 85 PSI error. Shorted torch. The manual states that this error is many times caused by the lower end fitting being stuck.

So, my question is, is there any way to make the lower end fitting move in an out freely for testing purposes?? I would just like to know if it's the problem, and it's a long weekend. I'm getting bored, and want to get this niggling detail out of my mind. I'm not looking to make a permanent fix with this. Just figure out the problem.

Re: Thermal Dynamics SL100 torch start cup

Have you switched the start cartridge? and replaced/lubed the o-rings? sometimes worn o-rings cause air leaks and cause other issues.

or post up some pics of the the gun innards...

I don't have a spare start cartridge right now. Hence the angst about fixing this one... O-rings seem soft and not cracked or worn.

I have three of those torches and most of the time it's just something loose or crud get inside the start cart or main cup, also have had debris in the plug at the machine.. give that a close look and blow it out insects love that receptacle... anymore I stuff a rag in it when the torches are disconnected

I've checked for crud, and something loose. Nothing. The lower fitting (what the manual calls the smaller piece of copper tubing in the start cap) isn't moving in and out freely as it's supposed to.

The start cartridge is bad, you need a new one. Also make sure its a thermal dynamics sl100 not a radnor mc100. They use different consumables.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Repair
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's.

Go with the HD start cartridge when replacing. Price should be similar to the standard, but less issues. Part Number 9-8277

It is an SL100. Says 1torch on the sticker.

The HD start cartridge will work?? I read in a manual that it was only for non HF machines. I'm not sure if this is a HF machine of not.

Those torches do work with Hifreq start. Might say it does not, but works great on older Esab Hi freq machines. Just pin the Start Cartridge down if needed. The SL-40 torch will not work with hi freq, but does with CD start. The 102 uses the SL-100 torch from the factory. Heavy duty will work, but don't bother with it.. Just run the standard unit. last forever generally ..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

I got a new start cartridge. Torch worked right away. Now for an air regulator and proper air filter and drier.

Quote Originally Posted by woodworker_nathan View Post
    It is an SL100. Says 1torch on the sticker.

The HD start cartridge will work?? I read in a manual that it was only for non HF machines. I'm not sure if this is a HF machine of not.
    The 102 is a non HF machine. The note is just for those using the torch on HF machines -- 1Torch can be retrofitted to a large number of older and other brand machines. HD start cartridge is less prone to the sticking you had on yours. As Brand X mentioned, under general use it's not much of an issue. Heavy use can see the sticking.
    Glad you got it working with the easy fix!

I have a bunch of Adaptors to put a 1 Torch on various machines if anyone decides to do so. The start cartridge is the weak link in the SL torches. The HD cartridge was just made with a brass case but the problem is the spring loaded center so I agree don't waste the extra money on a HD cartridge. The front of the spring loaded center will get carbon track and fried oil/moisture on it and eventually it won't conduct properly. Clean regularly with a scotchbrite pad.
    Thermal Arc 320SP
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC
    Thermal Arc 161STL
    Thermal Arc 190S
    Cut Master 82, 42.
    Victor Gas App.
    Ellis 1600
    Evolution Compound Mitre.
    Boxes of welding crap.

Not a week link with clean/dry air.and scotchbrite pad. Learned that from a MK products/Thermadyne, Esab rep back in 2003. I have never replaced one do to failure. mostly on a CNC table..I had a 101/151/52/82/152 (A specs on the later models.) The SL-40 torch can be a issue, but running on my 29 amp 38XL consumable life is excellent I think the 42 over powers those consumables in that torch.. (240 power) Made my own adapter out of a old Thermal to Esab adapter.. ATC,and everything .. Had a SL-60/38XL way back when, but the SL-40/38 is a sweet setup. Hooked to a new in box/ old stock 38XL..

When Esab came out with the 1125 the consumable life was horrible at 70 amps.. The one torch really made it a great machine. Friend did the swap just using the Non atc setup.. If people want to use the ATC torch just buy that adapter,, Kits to hook up will also be the same when used with the RPT torch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Brand X; 07-14-2018 at 01:02 PM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

I have one of those in line air driers, and an auto drain kit on the compressor. I have a descant drier I'm figuring out how to install. I haven't used it for more than a few min since I got the torch working. But I must get the new drier and filter installed.