Millermatic 350p aluminum convert to autobody
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Millermatic 350p aluminum convert to autobody

Anyone know if a 350p aluminum can be "upgraded" to a 350p autobody package?
    I'd like steel and better think aluminum capability.

I bought my 350p aluminum and 4 months later the "autobody" model was announced which would have been a better fit.

Re: Millermatic 350p aluminum convert to autobody

As far as I'm aware, the 350PA is strictly aluminum.
    Great machine but you need to be doing a lot of MIG aluminum to make it worth the investment. Are you running 4943? Maybe you can trade machines with Shovelon...
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Auto body tin ? I generally use my 140 Lincoln and, if it's late model thin shiit, I'll drag out my MM200 and set the pulse on it in low range

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. My 350 PA is aluminum only, which was the intent when I purchased it. I work with thin aluminum (as a hobby) 1/8 inch thick and thinner. I find the 350PA seems oriented more towards 1/8 inch thick and thicker aluminum although some of the setting charts go thinner metal also. It's probably my lack of expertise and not the welder that causes some of my dis-satisfaction with the machine on thin aluminum - I have been able to weld but the fillet metal seems far too large unless I move the gun at a very fast uncomfortable speed. Anyway, when Miller announced the "Autobody" model of the 350P they added another pulse program for larger wire as well as the capability to weld steel. I was thinking maybe I can purchase parts to change my 350PA to a 350P "Autobody". I'm thinking the "Autobody" features target thin aluminum as well as thin steel. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I'll look again at the MM200.

You are not going to get any thinner on aluminum MIG than you already have with the current machine. TIG is what u need for thin aluminum.
    No.you can't convert it because the 350P is a 4 roller feed and the PA is a 2 roller only slave motor and must be run with the push pull gun. Probably different on the inside too. Nor just a software thing. If you bought it from a local welding supply, contact them about trading the machine out for the autobody version.
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

To go thin, use pulse, and go way below stated settings. I can do around 100-200 IPM and weld 16ga at a speed similar to steel. This is half or less of the recommended Miller setting, but it works. Give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the 350PA is strictly aluminum.
    Great machine but you need to be doing a lot of MIG aluminum to make it worth the investment. Are you running 4943? Maybe you can trade machines with Shovelon...
    Depending on which gun, not only will I trade, but I will throw in my beloved MM200/with pulse/burnback panel and original spoolmatic 1 spoolgun(needs new rubber).
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.