Best way to set up bandsawing station for measuring cuts?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

I'd like to take my bandsawing station to the next level. Think CNC backgage, but manual.

What I'd like is to make some kind of sliding, lockable stop to attach to my roller table (which will be bolted to the saw) that will read against a permanently installed tape. Basically like a good fence on a table saw, except to govern the length of the cut stock on the horizontal bandsaw. It's basically reproducing the stop that's already a part of the saw on the front side, but for longer pieces and with the addition of a built-in tape measure.

Right now, we measure the stock itself and scribe a mark onto it, then line that mark up on the inside or outside of the blade width. It works, but we cut a lot, and I can't imagine this is how production houses do it.

Has anyone seen this done really well? The roller table already has bolt holes, so I'm envisioning making like a stout solid round on standoffs from that, which has the tape embedded in the face, the the locking stop sliding along gat round.

Re: Best way to set up bandsawing station for measuring cuts?

Name:  IMG_20180706_123204.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  214.7 KB

Here's my sawing station. The arrangement I'm talking about would only be on the first section of roller table, stopping back there at the Ellis. Pardon the mess, it's extremely dusty here (it is Africa with the windows open, after all.)

Lemme go make a video. What is preferable requires a good bit of space. Paint it good and store outside if you dont have a barn or big shacks like I do.
    I'll tell ya though. Supporting your work piece will save you a fortune in blades and touch ups....be it wood, glass, metal. Whatever.
    When I was a union carpenter,100 years ago, I set up 4 sawhorses and was laughed at. Lumber never hit the floor while I worked and a cheap blade lasted me forever in my old worm drive Skil.
    Same today. I assure you I can get many thousands of cuts with a carbide "dry"saw. THOUSANDS . Not hundreds
    Here's my way.Hey. It works for ME..;. Nada mas

Last edited by Bonzoo; 07-06-2018 at 12:44 PM.

I have the same saw so I will be watching this.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

I poked around online and found the commercial version of what I'm talking about - but it's overdone for my application (motorized with memory), called TigerStop. That's the idea I've got in my head, except manual.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPAtkins View Post
    I poked around online and found the commercial version of what I'm talking about - but it's overdone for my application (motorized with memory), called TigerStop. That's the idea I've got in my head, except manual.
    Here...

Like I said...make a saddle and call it a day

I recently bought an Ellis for what I would have paid for in taxes and shipping on a brand new one. It needed a fair amount of loving though...

Here’s a shot of the “cut to length stop” I fabbed up for it with my poor man’s version of micro adjust.

I’m waiting on a few self adhesive measuring tapes I ordered off eBay for my iron worker and will see if I can incorporate one on the outfeed table I just made.

Last edited by Lis2323; 07-07-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Why can't you just measure off the blade with a tape measure?

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I recently bought an Ellis for what I would have paid for in taxes and shipping on a brand new one. It needed a fair amount of loving though...

Here’s a shot of the “cut to length stop” I fabbed up for it with my poor man’s version of micro adjust.

I’m waiting on a few self adhesive measuring tapes I ordered off eBay for my iron worker and will see if I can incorporate one on the outfeed table I just made.

It's always nice to have a quick reference point. Then double check with tape to fine tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Lemme go make a video. What is preferable requires a good bit of space. Paint it good and store outside if you dont have a barn or big shacks like I do.
    I'll tell ya though. Supporting your work piece will save you a fortune in blades and touch ups....be it wood, glass, metal. Whatever.
    When I was a union carpenter,100 years ago, I set up 4 sawhorses and was laughed at. Lumber never hit the floor while I worked and a cheap blade lasted me forever in my old worm drive Skil.
    Same today. I assure you I can get many thousands of cuts with a carbide "dry"saw. THOUSANDS . Not hundreds
    Here's my way.Hey. It works for ME..;. Nada mas

I do have my stock supported (there's a single roller stand off-frame that supports the stock in front of the saw), but that does nothing to answer the question I'm asking, which has to do with easy to set, repeatable measurements for stock length.

Ding ding ding! You sir, win the prize. That's what I'm talking about. I already have the adhesive-backed measuring tape which I'd like to embed in the system, and what you've got is pretty much what I had imagined. I love the idea of the micro adjust too. In my case, I often gang-cut stacks of 20 pieces of square tube at once, so I need a stop with a broader area. I think in order to keep that larger stop from flexing, I'll have two carriages attach to the rod, to give it some more stability and spread the stress.

My Ellis was also in really rough shape when I got it. It's still not pretty, but it works a lot better now. I still need to make a vise for it and get a cylinder set up for its downfeed - right now we do it by hand, which is a waste of time. It's a great saw (I think I gave $50 for it plus time and new bearings all around) but my only complaint about mine, which is a 1200, is that it takes 5/8" blades which are really hard to find in good bimetal, and different than the 3/4" that my other saws all use. Beggers can't be choosers, but I sure wish it had been a 1600! Even so, it's just awesome for what it does!

Quote Originally Posted by 86k10 View Post
    Of course you can, and that's fine if you're making 10 cuts a day. If you're cutting the same dimension over and over though, you have to measure each time. This system, you set up once and leave locked in place, just nudging the stock against it each time, and you're back cutting again. Also, the tape introduces error if you're measuring against the blade back, because it ignores the width of the tooth set. Running the blade down close enough to almost touch the stock to be able to measure also runs the risk, if you're not careful, of the blade and saw head resting on the stock, wrecking the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by 86k10 View Post
    measuring off the blade with a tape is too slow for a production shop. i did this but my shop was never intended to make a profit.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Jason: I'm still using my old bandsaw and still fine tuning the Ellis setup. I think my stop is rigid enough but utilizing a PAIR of support rods is definitely the way to go.

BTW the Ellis 1200 calls for 5/8" blades but work well with easier to find 3/4" blades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Lis2323 , I like your adjustable stop setup. Maybe consider a longer threaded bolt and add a locking nut on the bolt thread after the nut. It maybe fine but I like double nutting.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Lis2323 , I like your adjustable stop setup. Maybe consider a longer threaded bolt and add a locking nut on the bolt thread after the nut. It maybe fine but I like double nutting.
    Bob I like double nutting also. I plan on using a (thin) 5/8” jam nut. I only had 5/8” all thread and no longer full threaded bolts on hand so I just used the pictured one for now.

Also would have preferred to have welded on a single extended nut but I don’t know about you but being a Sunday night I was too impatient to wait til the next day to buy one.
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Bob I like double nutting also. I plan on using a (thin) 5/8” jam nut. I only had 5/8” all thread and no longer full threaded bolts on hand so I just used the pictured one for now.

Also would have preferred to have welded on a single extended nut but I don’t know about you but being a Sunday night I was too impatient to wait til the next day to buy one.
    You could reverse it to with bolt head as stop. I impatient and can't sit still. I post pics sometimes as I can't wait until done to do it.
    Double 5/8 nuts for stop flush with thread. There's always someone with a smart a$$ answer. Besides me!

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    You could reverse it to with bolt head as stop. I impatient and can't sit still. I post pics sometimes as I can't wait until done to do it.
    Double 5/8 nuts for stop flush with thread. There's always someone with a smart a$$ answer. Besides me!
    Gotta love Welding Web! Post a pic of your “version 1.0”, let everyone else give suggestions to make it better, then do version “2”.

Edit. O fer **ck’s sake! Went to reverse the bolt direction like Bob suggested and realized I used 3/4-10 NOT 5/8”.

Last edited by Lis2323; 07-09-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Gotta love Welding Web! Post a pic of your “version 1.0”, let everyone else give suggestions to make it better, then do version “2”.

Edit. O fer **ck’s sake! Went to reverse the bolt direction like Bob suggested and realized I used 3/4-10 NOT 5/8”.

Oh you used the BIG 5/8" Now remove bolt and screw on the 3/4" lock nut.

This post made my day, thank you !! Brings memories from work try to size existing pipe 20' up. Guy says 1 1/2" up there. Get on lift to check it and find its the big 1 1/2". Yes 2"
    Fun times.

LOL...Double nutting...at 65 ? I know...I KNOW
    Hey That's not a handcuff ! Those are in the cabin !
    Name:  mixxxxxx.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  149.0 KB

Re double nutting: Yeah, in yer DREAMS, Bonzoo.
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Re double nutting: Yeah, in yer DREAMS, Bonzoo.

True that. I'm so old I'm diaper shopping.....She puts up with me tho...prolly because of my dumb-eaner....
    Name:  zzzix.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  39.0 KB

Don't try gurls....remember that scarfaced scumbag in "machete"....she killed him !
    Name:  memixb.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  74.4 KB