Thanks to this site members.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thanks to this site members.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this site for the amount of knowledge is in print (and even better in pictures) for helping with this craft that I have come to really enjoy so much.

For years I've been putzing around trying to get my welds to look (and function) correctly, whether watching videos (such as Jodi) on Youboob, or playing on the welder every time I get the opportunity. It's only recently, what I realized that it's always the user's inexperience, and lack of understanding of what , how and when that causes poor results.

I had NO IDEA that the machine needed to be checked for settings regarding roller tension, and guide tensions. I read through several of the Burnback threads, and found that the little ball I was creating on the end of the wire, was not supposed to be, or beneficial to be there. It turns out that I had my wheel tension, and wire tensions all wrong, and when I switched from .030 to .023, the reason for all the messed up, burned up tips was because my feed speed was wrong, the tension was wrong, and the roller pressure was all wrong.

Ugh.

I'm still creating some (less occasional) poor results, but the better results are more prominent now.

Thanks to all that post here, create threads here, and provide insight into such a fun way of spending my time.

T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Re: Thanks to this site members.

It's about the coolest forum on the net....Have fun man

The manual said nothing about adjusting the tensioner?
    1st person on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    Millermatic 211 Inv. MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood 40A Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    The manual said nothing about adjusting the tensioner?
    There's a manual????
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    There's a manual????
    If it's anything like the 'manual' that came with my Chicom pulse mig, about all it's useful for is...... ...…..Nah.....can't think of a thing.

Hang on......fire starter......
    Samson 510 CNC plasma table
    Hypertherm 85

Plus a shed full of cheap arsed crap.

"You don't stop laughing when you get old....You get old when you stop laughing".

Lemme get my Geritol......
    OK.

Do they still make Geritol? I haven't seen any since I was a kid, .........years and years ago.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Do they still make Geritol? I haven't seen any since I was a kid, .........years and years ago.
    It's in the same isle with the brylcreem

Dulcolax came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    It's in the same isle with the brylcreem
    Now your aging yourself LT! LOL I haven't heard of that in years. hahaha
    Pete

ESAB SVI300
    ESAB MIG 4 HD
    MILLER PASSPORT 180
    MILLER DYNASTY 300DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 4
    MILLER 30A
    MILLER SPECTRUM 2050
    C&K WF-3

Oh crap... I may be about to learn the same lesson. I've had my MIG (Lincoln 180) for about 4 yrs and haven't used it much... quite frankly I was never as comfortable with it as I was my O/A or buzz boxes. Yesterday I pulled it out to rebuild a shaft I wanted to do cool, and the wire wouldn't feed consistently. I haven't had time to mess with it, but I think it might be slippage in the rollers. I think my "manual" was a CD that was little more than a sales pitch and the usual warnings not to swallow the machine... learning curves can be tough some times...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    Can't tell you how much I appreciate this site for the amount of knowledge is in print (and even better in pictures) for helping with this craft that I have come to really enjoy so much.

For years I've been putzing around trying to get my welds to look (and function) correctly, whether watching videos (such as Jodi) on Youboob, or playing on the welder every time I get the opportunity. It's only recently, what I realized that it's always the user's inexperience, and lack of understanding of what , how and when that causes poor results.

I had NO IDEA that the machine needed to be checked for settings regarding roller tension, and guide tensions. I read through several of the Burnback threads, and found that the little ball I was creating on the end of the wire, was not supposed to be, or beneficial to be there. It turns out that I had my wheel tension, and wire tensions all wrong, and when I switched from .030 to .023, the reason for all the messed up, burned up tips was because my feed speed was wrong, the tension was wrong, and the roller pressure was all wrong.

Ugh.

I'm still creating some (less occasional) poor results, but the better results are more prominent now.

Thanks to all that post here, create threads here, and provide insight into such a fun way of spending my time.

I won't name names. We got a few testosterone burned know it alls, but with a few exceptions, members here either have something to offer, and give knowledge generously, or seek that gift of knowledge. Many fall in the middle, giving, while receiving.

Then we have Moto.

I too am very grateful of the seasoned veterans who were not stingy with their hard earned skill. I salute them, and thank them for their generosity.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    But if you use that site, don't do what I did and walk away with the printer printing off the same stuff in 14 different languages.... grrrrr. Turned out all I needed was a new tip and to reset the tension.... dahhh.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les