Lincoln squarewave 200 for a newb
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln squarewave 200 for a newb

I have been looking at tig welders for years now. Well I'm in a position where I can get one. I have never tig weld welded a day I'm my life. So I am very green. I am looking at buying a square wave 200 from a friend. The unit is in good shape. Not a ton of time on it. Would this be a good unit to learn on? Is it worth $1000(I know how much they are new)? Would there be a better option around the same price? Is there anything I should look for on the unit? Sorry about all the questions just trying to make sure I make a halfway smart decision. Thanks in advance.

Re: Lincoln squarewave 200 for a newb

I bought a SW 200 from my best friend. I like mine but I’m in the process of upgrading my electrical service to 220 so I can run it at full capabilities for working on aluminum. I’ve been a production mig welder for 20 years and now it’s time to broaden my skills into TIG welding. It has an air cooled torch so your arc time is limited. Mine is in my shop and on my 3rd 125 tank. It is a good machine to learn on. I paid him more than $1000 but it came with a cart (he built)and a lot of consumables. I’ve already bought a lot of extras on the web,furick #8 stubby gas lens kit, rare earth mix tungsten. I’m having fun and honing my skills so I can switch into that field of work. It’s a great little power source that you can weld anything with the correct direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome. I have 220 in the shop so I'm not worried on that end. I think I'm going to do it. Just looking for thoughts just incase I'm over looking something. Mainly just looking at using a machine for fairly thin alum and stainless. Mostly vehicle exhaust and and intercooler piping. Nothing on a industrial scale or anywhere near 1/4" thickness.

How good of a friend is the seller? Will he back you up if the unit breaks down? The reason I ask is that the warranty does not transfer, it only benefits or applies to the original purchaser. If he is a guy you can trust to help you out if it needs warranty repair, then maybe it is a good deal. if not, then I would be looking at the Harbor Freight unit which is a copy of the Squarewave 200 and has been getting pretty good reviews. it is $940 new and with the extended warranty you would be probably just a bit more than $1000. Just be sure to buy it at your local harbor freight and not an online outlet like e-bay, etc., in order to ensure you get warranty support from the local store.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Adam James Vorwald View Post
    It has an air cooled torch so your arc time is limited
    I have been welding with air cooled torch @ 200 amps for a over a year with no problems. I don't believe you need a water cooler for a 200 amps machine, I mean you can certainly have it, but it is not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first started TIG welding I was doing scratch start TIG with a Hobart Stickmate as my power supply. Maybe I had a cheap torch, but on a 17 series torch it would get too hot to hold after about 30-60 minutes of welding. I would never choose an air cooled torch for welding at 200 amps if I didn't have to. With my 9 series water cooled, I can weld at 200 amps for days on end and not be uncomfortable.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by precivilization View Post
    I have been welding with air cooled torch @ 200 amps for a over a year with no problems. I don't believe you need a water cooler for a 200 amps machine, I mean you can certainly have it, but it is not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was meant as a warning. Not a need. Working distance,torch angle,and travel speed all have huge effects on your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am good friends with the seller. He would warranty it for me. How many times have you seen or heard of a lincoln breaking on the first use or arriving doa? Yes I know it can and has happened. But you always hear about a hf unit.

Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    I am good friends with the seller. He would warranty it for me. How many times have you seen or heard of a lincoln breaking on the first use or arriving doa? Yes I know it can and has happened. But you always hear about a hf unit.
    Not the new Vulcan stuff. HF realized what a hit the LincolnSW200 was when it came out. So HF sent feelers over to China to find the manufacturers that build the components for Lincoln. The end results are units almost identical in function, but with tweaks to actually improve performance. I like the vastly superior pulse range.

These Vulcan tig welders which I am very familiar with are just as hardened as the Lincoln units. HF pulls no bones about it, they are built and tested in China under HF scrutiny, as opposed to shipping from China to Mexico for assembly and testing. As told to me HF has a much larger footprint in China than Lincoln and was able to swing bigger discounts for economy of scale. HF does not get the Nafta credits like Lincoln gets either. HF actually builds the machine so that all of the Lincoln tig peripherals fit, and vise versa. I even put a Vulcan aircooled torch one of my Dynasty350dx tigs while I was waiting for "Rocker" torch parts. Of course the "Rocker" torch setup runs much cooler, but the Vulcan never burned up(like a lot of CK torches do).

But I still love my LincolnSW200. I just never use the pulse mode.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.