Can you weld forged metal?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Can you weld forged metal?

I bought a dump trailer and want to set up the towing ball mount with a anti-sway bar. The ball mount I bought is a Reese class III/V “forged” ball mount. Which is basically a solid hunk of metal for heavy trailers.

The sway kit has a weld on tab...basically a 1/2” thick bar stock cold rolled steel tab that needs to be welded to the side of the forged ball mount to put a smaller ball for the sway bar itself.

Can you simply weld the tab on...after proper prep of course....? Or is forged metal/ steel to be left alone...

Thanks for input...

Re: Can you weld forged metal?

There used to be one that attached between the ball and the mount, then welded. I don't remember who made, too much life between then and now. I think it was a reese or husky part.
    Regards
    Dave

I’ll leave the welding advice to the other folks more knowledgeable than I. This is having to do with trailers, some will say you can, other will say you can’t/shouldn’t.

I just did a little looking to see if the manufacture had anything to say about it, I didn’t find metal composition, or anything to predict weldability. BUT, I did see that on some of these hitches they are double coated, with the first layer being Zinc Phosphate. I am not sure if this applies to yours or not, but if it should, remember to follow guidelines for galvanized metals. If zinc makes its way into the weld it will cause porosity, and embrittlement itself. No bueno!
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

Yes, now add characters to meet posting requirements.

Zinc phosphate is a thin film at best. Usually a corrosion inhibitor and paint substrate. Welding should not be a problem. However if there is a weld tab somewhere then the manufacturer should have guidelines to follow.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Welding won't be an issue - but you can get the bolt on style instead if you prefer.

Name:  Screenshot_2018-07-09-10-34-43.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2018-07-09-10-34-59_kindlephoto-236196553.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  21.5 KB
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

"Forged" only tells you how the piece was shaped, not the composition of the steel or any heat treatment that may have been performed.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Welding won't be an issue - but you can get the bolt on style instead if you prefer.

Name:  Screenshot_2018-07-09-10-34-43.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2018-07-09-10-34-59_kindlephoto-236196553.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  21.5 KB
    This is the one I was thinking of, amazing, even after 20 years, many beers later I remembered seeing this piece.
    Regards
    Dave