Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    Greetings all,

    New to the forum. This is a shot in the dark but wondered if anyone is willing to give paid lessons for Aluminum Tig welding. I have both tig and mig at home and need to shorten my learning curve for upcoming project.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    2,211

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    Quote Originally Posted by joev View Post
    Greetings all,

    New to the forum. This is a shot in the dark but wondered if anyone is willing to give paid lessons for Aluminum Tig welding. I have both tig and mig at home and need to shorten my learning curve for upcoming project.

    Thanks
    Miami is where I became a welding student, 35 years ago.I still am.
    Head down to Homestead and look for Don Davis/ Bushwhacker airboats. You can ask at a hardware or liquor store.Look for Don Davis. He's a smartazz like me but can mold aluminum as good as any man that ever lived.Aircraft guy turned airboat builder. Johnny Kaboom (John Fenner) is better with TIG but I have no idea where he is these daze.
    Jimmy Dixon is another dude that can help you. He's down on ??? 264 and about 147-156 ave. Dixon machine shop. He just has a shack in a field like I do.You don't need to pay. Tell them Murdock sent you.Take beer ! These are some of the greatest men I've ever known.
    Coffees country store at Krome and 216. Ask Ed where these guys are and for phone numbers( if he's still alive)
    You can continue south and go into Home Hardware or Mitchells hardware( stainless supplier) and ask the same questions.
    They all know me...
    I got an eye full of tears while typing this.........

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    2,211

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    If Ed is no longer head 1/2 mile south to Robbies feed store(240 and Krome) and ask there.

  4. #4

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    Bonzoo
    Im very grateful for these leads. Im down in homestead often and will look these folks up. Im sure they are great people. Thank you kindly.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    5,941

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    Start by running beads on 1/8 sheet and use 3/32 5356. Then move on to butt joints then t joints. I learned myself

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Land of the Toxic Avenger
    Posts
    321

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Miami is where I became a welding student, 35 years ago.I still am.
    Head down to Homestead and look for Don Davis/ Bushwhacker airboats. You can ask at a hardware or liquor store.Look for Don Davis. He's a smartazz like me but can mold aluminum as good as any man that ever lived.Aircraft guy turned airboat builder. Johnny Kaboom (John Fenner) is better with TIG but I have no idea where he is these daze.
    Jimmy Dixon is another dude that can help you. He's down on ??? 264 and about 147-156 ave. Dixon machine shop. He just has a shack in a field like I do.You don't need to pay. Tell them Murdock sent you.Take beer ! These are some of the greatest men I've ever known.
    Coffees country store at Krome and 216. Ask Ed where these guys are and for phone numbers( if he's still alive)
    You can continue south and go into Home Hardware or Mitchells hardware( stainless supplier) and ask the same questions.
    They all know me...
    I got an eye full of tears while typing this.........
    When you write that book, I want a signed first edition......
    T man.


    15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    west texas
    Posts
    2,281

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    You have a tig at home but can it weld aluminum?
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    5,941

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    Quote Originally Posted by mad welder 4 View Post
    You have a tig at home but can it weld aluminum?
    Any tig welder can weld aluminum. AC use argon.DC use helium

  9. #9

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    yes i do. HTP invertig 201 with water cooler and ck-20 torch. bought it several years ago and hadn't used it in like 5 years. I have to build some aluminum fence gates for my house and would really like to tig it myself. also have a miller 250 with spool gun but decided to take on this challenge. Ive always wanted to learn to tig aluminum well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    5,941

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    Well looks like you better start practicing, that's the only way to learn

  11. #11

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    been running beads everyday and playing with settings. amps/torch angle/pedal/pulse. Im sure if I had some local coaching it would shorten my learning curve significantly.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Southeast,Florida
    Posts
    76

    Re: Aluminum Tig lessons in Miami Fl

    PM sent
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

    I wanted a mission and for my sins, they gave me one. - Captain Benjamin L. Willard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement