I'm gonna build a garage. - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: I'm gonna build a garage.

But like already mentioned make sure if u do infloor heat to insulate ur perimeter of ur concrete. My current shop is a pole building. I laid the 2” high density foam down and then had them come spray the wall foam down to the foam under the concrete. Worked awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Doogie

Miller 350P
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
    Lincoln LN25 suitcase welder
    XMT 304/22a feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX
    Miller Econotig
    Hobart Handler 140
    (2) Uni-Hydro 42-14
    Hypertherm 65 plasma
    WEBB Gap bed lathe

Watch this entertaining series you may pick up a few ideas.

Again, thanks for all the info guys. I would really like the 12' ceiling, but I'll have to see how the quotes come in. I'm afraid that if I go with the radiant heat AND 12' ceilings, I may have to cut the size to 30x40. And I really don't want to do that. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH Steel View Post
    Are you building metal or wood structure?
    Wood. At least that's the plan. Although my neighbor got a smoking deal on his metal garage. So if I can get the size I want, heat I want and include the lift for the same price, I may go metal.

Quote Originally Posted by derekpfeiffer View Post
    If you need any questions answered on in floor heat I built my current 2880sq ft shop in 2011 and did the entire heating system myself. Absolutely LOVE it!! I’m currently getting pricing on 8000sqft all steel building packages with 20ft sidewalls. If you have questions I’d be happy to help. I’ve helped several people with theirs since building mine and they all work fantastic!!

Best of luck. Nothing more exciting than building a new shop!!

Thank you Sir, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_J View Post
    Again, thanks for all the info guys. I would really like the 12' ceiling, but I'll have to see how the quotes come in. I'm afraid that if I go with the radiant heat AND 12' ceilings, I may have to cut the size to 30x40. And I really don't want to do that. But we'll see.
    Height on a building is very reasonable

-Doogie

Miller 350P
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
    Lincoln LN25 suitcase welder
    XMT 304/22a feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX
    Miller Econotig
    Hobart Handler 140
    (2) Uni-Hydro 42-14
    Hypertherm 65 plasma
    WEBB Gap bed lathe

I have a 42x60 welding Fab shop with metal trusses and 12' sides. It works well with an open span, but with trusses that would suck

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I know 10' is on the low side for a lift, but I think I am going to plan for a 2 post lift.
    10 feet is way too low for a lift. I built a shop with 12ft walls and scissor trusses and it was barely high enough.

Go to Greg smith equipment web site they sell lifts nation wide has specs for all different ones. 10 foot clearance may not be enough for any and if you want 10000 lb capacity it ont fit 12 to 14 is the normal
    Mike

One option that I have not seen mentioned is to use a scissor truss design. You will need at least 12’ of clearance for a 2 post lift (I have one in a 12’ tall shop and it barely clears).

If you don’t want to change the wall height you can use a scissor truss and put the lift towards the center of the span. A scissor truss on a 10’ wall will have around 13’ or so of clearance in the middle.

Name:  EFD457C5-2EFE-4BA1-8058-0EAB555E7B9E.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  63.7 KB
    Last edited by scsmith42; 07-14-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

I will bookmark this thread. Great ideas
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

You find low cost building kits almost cheep you buy the steel.
    Today I have small welding carport 10 x 12 just backup the truck and start welding
    In CA I can build a carport with permit up to 120 sqft but no limit to number building/carports at 120 SQFT

Dave

Here is my plan...30x50 10' walls in Central PA. I am planning on the front half (30x25) as auto work space, and split the back half between a metal working/welding set up and wood working shop.

I know 10' is on the low side for a lift, but I think I am going to plan for a 2 post lift.

I doubt I will be in it daily thru the winter, and am struggling with the idea of heating it all the time. I'm thinking about keeping it at 45 or 50 and just bump it up if I am going to be in there working. I'm looking for opinions on radiant vs hot air. Unfortunately I don't have natural gas available, so I would be burning propane (current house heat), or electric if radiant.

Anyone have any recommendations?
    Last edited by smithdoor; 07-14-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    One option that I have not seen mentioned is to use a scissor truss design. You will need at least 12’ of clearance for a 2 post lift (I have one in a 12’ tall shop and it barely clears).

If you don’t want to change the wall height you can use a scissor truss and put the lift towards the center of the span. A scissor truss on a 10’ wall will have around 13’ or so of clearance in the middle.

Name:  EFD457C5-2EFE-4BA1-8058-0EAB555E7B9E.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  63.7 KB
    do those scissor trusses have the same snow load as standard trusses? central pa gets some decent snow the roof will have to support...the standard trusses I can space 4ft apart for heavy snow load, it may be cheaper to go higher side walls than more trusses if they cant hold the load..and need 2ft spacing..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    do those scissor trusses have the same snow load as standard trusses? central pa gets some decent snow the roof will have to support...the standard trusses I can space 4ft apart for heavy snow load, it may be cheaper to go higher side walls than more trusses if they cant hold the load..and need 2ft spacing..
    It all depends upon the truss engineering. With a 30' span, most likely scissor trusses made from 2x6 would be able to carry the load w/o a problem.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Someday you're gonna want to bring an RV in there and you're gonna wish you had gone higher. Ask me how I know.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Twelve foot sidewalls and scissor trusses. Lower outside look, higher ceiling.

I would decide on the lift I wanted and match the sidewall height to that. I recently built a shop with 14' sidewalls. The lift I installed requires 13'9". I researched a lot before buying because there are some cheap China lifts around and I did not want one. The one I installed is the same brand used by our local Chevrolet dealer and they had good things to say about them. I went with a 12,000# capacity, as pickups keep getting heavier and I didn't want to be working near capacity. Having a lift is almost as good as winning the lottery!

I second almost all the ideas here. Having adequate lighting seems to be lacking in most of the shops I've seen, be sure to have plenty.

Have you considered running the PEX loops even if you don't use them right off? This way if you initially go the warm air route and decide for whatever reason it doesn't work for you the radiant option is still there for you. I had a 6" 4000 psi slab with #4 2' OC bars both ways and 5 zones of radiant heat because I thought my arthritis and circulatory condition would like it, it turned out to be so comfortable that every time I laid on the creeper I would fall asleep! I eventually only left the zone on at the benches.

Maybe in the front half at the OH doors go with scissor trusses for the height issue and use attic trusses in the back half, if I remember it works out to be about $3/SF... that is some cheap floor space.

There have been some good threads on this subject, have you reviewed those?
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Mentioned already many times but a valid point, 10 foot is too low for a lift. I would also reconsider the welding/fab in with the wood working, sparks and dry saw dust don't mix very well. I would most certainly lay the pex in the floor even if radiant isn't an option for a while.

Ok I don't own am RV and probably never will, but I'm thinking resale value 14' walls gets most RV's inside.
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

This is my lift in my shop with 14' sidewalls. I also have a John Deere 4440 tractor and it needs 11' to pass through, so one door is 14' wide and 12' high. I lined it with white metal to help with lighting and also to help it to be fire resistant. Don't spare the lights and electrical receptacles! I also have two commercial grade ceiling fans that help keep the warm air down where it needs to be in the winter.
    Name:  IMG_2817.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  112.6 KB
    Last edited by Oliver1555; 07-15-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Why would you even consider wood when welding will be done inside? Metal is cheaper, won't rot, bugs can't eat it and has high wind loads.