round on round - how to weld two pipes touching in one point - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: round on round - how to weld two pipes touching in one point

I wouldn't worry too much about what filler you use, as I doubt a failure is going to be in the brazed joint. A properly done brazed joint is going to approach welded steel for strength. It's also going to have a good bit of ductility, making it "tough."

Personally, I would use silicon bronze simply because that's what I have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by naitsab View Post
    Hey guys!
    this is lot of input, thanks so much! I see the topic also sparked some discussions on the side, which is good -I'm learning a lot!

To me, the brazing option probably seems to be the best. I think with this technique it is possible to generate very nice and delicate connections with envisioned (visual) quality. The option of grinding a grove into both parts seems to be another thing to consider to improve the structural property.

As I saw a couple of questions or comments in regards to the structural needs. The pieces are are for an installation to exhibit architectural models. the rods which run through the tubes will serve as (pseudo) shelfs which means each object (I'd say max 50/60kg) will in the end be carried by 4 of the connectors. which makes a static load of around 10-20 kg (with some security) per per module. Do you think this is an acheivable performance with the brazing technique? I looked into the topic of brazing, its a whole universe any recommendations which brazing material to use for this purpose (I guess a rather strong one). The tubes are mild steel.
    Of course I will carry out some tests, some hints would just help me limiting the variables.

thanks!!
    If you're willing to consider a small cope, you could take a look at the bike frame building universe for hundreds of examples of brazed frames that would hold much heavier loads than you are considering, with beautiful joints...

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    I’m new to this welding thingy! Why not saddle the pipe? If heat can distort the pipe, heat can fix it too!
    Years ago, a guy posted this about saddling pipe with a chop saw, I’ve never done it with a chop saw.
    Hoooleee helll leave it to the FNG to come up with something new fandangled.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"