pressure washer abrasive blaster expectations
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

pressure washer abrasive blaster expectations

I am thinking about getting setup to do some blasting. I know I do not want to do any air blasting . I get some equipment in to work on and it seems my customers always want me to paint them after I am done. I was thinking about getting a heavy duty pressure washer like 3500psl 6-8 gpm.

I have never used a larger one . I guess I want to know what to expect. my hopes are to be able to blast something like a 100 hp chipper on a double axle trailer in 5 or 6 hrs. I was thinking about pouring a 10x20 ft concrete pad to blast on and lay down a tarp setup to make a catch basin about 14x24 with rail road ties to make the walls of the basin with the tarp laid over the top. Then put some drain holes in to let the water drain out. This would make clean up much easier and I might even be able to reclaim some abrasive after it dries out.

The next thing I was wondering is what abrasive will do the most efficient job. I also know there is something that can be sprayed on to the raw steel after to impead rusting for a short time until it can be painted.

Re: pressure washer abrasive blaster expectations

I have one of the syphon type you put on the end of a big pressure washer 5.5 gpm Thought it looked like a great idea. but only used it itwice. If the item is small it will work okay, sort of, or if comparing it to a habor freight blaster running off a homeowner compressor. If comparing to a real sandblaster running off of a 185 cfm or larger compressor you are going to hate it. And with the water one you cannot easly reuse the sand. Fir rust prevention you just need some kind of inhibitor to spray down with imidiatly after blasting.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

A set up for a 185 cfm compressor will blast a whole trailer in an hour. will need a pressurized breathing air of course though.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

It sounds like I better just find someone to do it. I hate to paint anyway and if its going to be slow to blast parts then its not worth doing.

I have a Landa setup and agree with the above comments. Mine is 3000psi @ 5.0gpm and it's slow and will wear you out from the pressure the operator endures holding the wand. It works alright but not for large items, nor lightweight items as they like to slide or take flight.

My 250cfm compressor and 150# pressure pot make short work of blasting and rust removal using a soft "river sand" found in the area easily. A pressure fed and purified air hood is necessary of course. Using my tandem dump truck to haul the sand myself, the cost is reasonable.

When my sublet blaster retired suddenly and his son took over, the rates were "jacked up" seemingly overnight to almost double. I deemed it more cost effective to bring the tasks "in house" due to the new pricing schedule.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Check out DUSTLESS BLASTING.COM, they offer a turn key opportunity in several sizes and configurations, pressure pot blasting, the media is mixed with water, their advertisements on velocity channel make the equipment look very good.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

The minimun CFM for a compressor to do blasting I was told is 35 CFM. MY 5HP 80-gallon compressor is a pathetic excuse of compressor when pressure pot blasting.
    Welding City contact tips, fit Miller guns, $10,99 for a 25 pack .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I looked into some of the water blast setups ...Real expensive

Best media is crushed recycled glass ...you can clean and refilter it also
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    I looked into some of the water blast setups ...Real expensive

Best media is crushed recycled glass ...you can clean and refilter it also
    I figured they would be expensive, if a guy was in an area with a client base it might be a good opportunity.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    The minimun CFM for a compressor to do blasting I was told is 35 CFM. MY 5HP 80-gallon compressor is a pathetic excuse of compressor when pressure pot blasting.
    In reality about 1.5 times that. For years I did small parts with two 5hp Quincy compressors running through 1" line and still had to wait at times for air pressure to build up. With less than 50cfm available consistently at 100psi, the time for blasting is really lengthened.

Crushed glass media does work well for paint removal but not really so good for rust removal. The small and sharp abrasive fractures too easily upon contact with a hard steel surface. Garnet abrasive media is a pretty good all around media for both paint and rust removal. The cost can be expensive to acquire however. Fine "mason's" sand is a good alternative too.

I looked into the "dustless" blasting but deemed it a bit costly up front if not going to be your mainstay for income.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

I have no desire to invest a large sum into this. It is not going to be worth me getting setup to do it because there is no way I would want a steady diet of it. It looks like I will just farm it out.