Wiring for miller 252/45xp
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Wiring for miller 252/45xp

I ran 10/2 for my Lincoln 210mp. From that I have a heavy gauge cord from my lws that’s 30’ to give me more maneuverability in the shop. I have it all on a 30a breaker. Never had issues. I recently got a Hypertherm 45xp and miller 252. No issues with the 45xp but only played around for about 5 mins. Welded on the new 252 also but for a couple mins on 10ga angle. Not working it at all but rather testing.

To get the most of the welder, I think I need to upgrade my wiring. I have a pole barn and can run it just about however I need to. I’ve considered 6/2 and put in another plug like I currently have or run it along the trusses and make a drop so the wire is closer to where I work.

Any input on this? I have plenty of options in the panel. It has its own panel and I think 100a going to it.

Brett

Re: Wiring for miller 252/45xp

One man shop. 6/3 and a 50 amp for the 252. I think the book calls for 60 but unless your gluing big iron you'll never run over 180-220 amps or so anyway
    The PM calls for a 40 amp min, I think

Yup. 6 gauge. Interestingly I was also pricing out some 6gauge THHN wiring since I might be moving soon. I still can't believe it's cheaper to get a whole 500' roll on Ebay, shipped, than it is to drive to HD/Lowes and pick it up there. How things have change from just 5-10 years ago.
    1st person on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    Millermatic 211 Inv. MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood 40A Plasma

The manual says you can get by with 8 gauge FWIW. I run 6/3 with a 100 amp breaker for my syncrowave. It's nice to have the larger conductor if you need it for something else like a compressor, in the future.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

If I get a 75’ roll of 6/3 romex and run it to above where I’m wanting drop it down, is there a flexible cord I can find at HD/Lowes that I could put a nice end on?

Brett

probably not Lowes or HD. I had to go to a local electrical supply house to find what I needed. Amazon has it too. 6/3 SOOW Black and white are your hots, and green goes to ground (NOT Neutral)

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-SOOW-SO...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Oh and you shouldn't need 6/3 romex (or NM-B). The naming convention for Romex is different than for flexible cable. In a romex you only need a 6/2 (two hots and a ground, no neutral). For the flexible cable (SOOW) the same # of conductors is called 6/3
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

LOL . What's a Romex ? I know what Durex are !
    Sorry. I'm a pipe layin' kinda guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    LOL . What's a Romex ? I know what Durex are !
    Sorry. I'm a pipe layin' kinda guy
    Only know romex for electrical and magnum for pipe laying

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    Only know romex for electrical and magnum for pipe laying

Brett
    #6 is the wire and #3

I ended up tripping the 30a breaker with the 252 last night. It was holding fine for the plasma though. I had a moment of clarity and I believe will be able to not have to run any extra wire. I just need to pick up a 50a female plug. When we sold our big 5th wheel toy hauler I kept the shore line cord. I’m going to get a plug end for it and run it to where I hook in my 50a generator during a power outage. Hopefully it’ll be long enough to get where I’m going and I think it will be but would be much easier than messing around with running more wire. If it’s to short, I’ll just run the 6/2 along the trusses and drop this big cord down for flexability.

To get to a stopping point last night I just ran the 252 off the bobcat. Worked great. Building a flatbed for my roll off trailer

Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images