Pulsed MIG on Thin steel
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Pulsed MIG on Thin steel

Am looking at getting a pulser unit for a Miller XMT 304 with 60 series feeder to do thin wall tube / sheet steel (.065, .045" thickness) and .030 wire... Anybody out have any experience??? Does it look like TIG ?

Re: Pulsed MIG on Thin steel

I have a pulser on my MM175, my trigger finger and it has an infinite range of adjustment.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

I use the pulse on my MM200 once in a while. I like the burn back feature more than the actual pulsation but it takes a little practice. I finger pulsed so long with everything else I keep wanting to do the same with an actual pulse setting

Finger Pulse is not an option.... this will be a semi production run and consistency is important...I currently do the finger pulse thing... ok but I know there is better ways...

I have a 352MPA and 70 series dual feeder. The pulse puts the welder in spray transfer mode at much lower energies. The arc sound is completely different than short arc, like a high pitch buzz. The arc comes off in a variable size cone depending on your arc length setting. You can weld thinner metal at higher speed because you get the fluid puddle, but the pulse allows it to freeze and not fall out or burn through. That's a poor explanation of it. The weld is generally contourless, smooth kind of like a dual shield weld. The puddles wets out very well. You have to run 90/10 gas to get the spray action to work.

On the other side of the feeder, I have a push-pull gun for alum. It will pulse wire speed and weld parameters for a contoured weld without manipulation. I don't believe the wire pulse works in steel welding, and I'm not sure why you'd want it. Pulse spray won't make a stack of dimes like short arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    I use the pulse on my MM200 once in a while. I like the burn back feature more than the actual pulsation but it takes a little practice. I finger pulsed so long with everything else I keep wanting to do the same with an actual pulse setting
    Me too.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.