Miller bobcat 225g Plus Help!!!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller bobcat 225g Plus Help!!!

Okay guys i just picked up a Miller bobcat 225G Plus yesterday for 300 bucks with an Onan motor from my local welding supply house. Was told that it ran but that the generator was bad. Got it home and changed out some rotten fuel hoses that were leaking and put fuel in it and got it to fire up and runs like a top. However i have no output power at the 110 receptacles. did some digging on here and i found that The F1 and F2 fuses were completely missing from the machine, so i put two new fuses in. and fired it up with still no power to the 110 outlets and the F1 blown, F2 still intact. i need some help on where to go from here. Thanks Croft

Re: Miller bobcat 225g Plus Help!!!

I would start by checking field bridge rectifier SR2. Review the unit circuit diagram and parts breakdown to identify it if you're not sure what/where it is.

You should look for one or more shorted legs (continuity in both directions of two adjacent terminals).

If the welding supply place knew the generator was bad did they not tell you what was defective?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Edit- never mind ,i was going to say check field rectifiers
    Duane beat me to it
    Last edited by jpump5; 08-05-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

it was a backdoor deal in which my buddy knew where the welder was and that it ran and was told the generator was bad. i jumped on it because the motor ran good. As far as the field bridge rectifiers, what exactly am i looking for? sorry for my ignorance I'm no electrician but i do know my way around a wiring diagram.

There should be a circuit diagram on the inside of one of the side panels. Look for SR2 in the diagram and then check the Parts List in the owners manual for its location behind the control panel.

If you don't have the manual you can download it here . . .
    https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

. . . but SR2 is located near the fuse F1 that you replaced.

Name:  Bobcat 225G Plus Exciter Diode 001.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  153.7 KB
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

okay perfect i have located that. now from there how do i test to see if it is bad or not? do i need to go ahead and pull it out to test it or can i do it in the machine? also how do i go about cleaning the inside of this machine its super dusty and all of the wiring is covered in dust. i would assume water is not the go to cleaner here.

ok so i got a new SR2 bridge rectifier. replaced the blown F1 fuse cranked it up and blew the F1 again.. no clue where to go from here..HELP!!

the slip rings are really dirty, could that cause the F1 fuse to blow?

I don’t know that dirty slip rings would cause
    that,but it would be worth trying.
    I would measure resistance of rotating winding,
    looking for a short in the winding.
    Hopefully someone here knows the proper resistance.
    I’d consider a resistance less than 8-10 ohms
    to be suspect.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Had this happen to a Hobart champion 16 which is pretty much set up like the Bobcat. Checked the bridge rectifier and it tested bad. Ordered two from Allied Electronics for under $5.00 each, replaced fuse and installed bridge rectifier and fuse blew and toasted bridge rectifier. More testing and found bad capacitor. Then replaced fuse,bridge rectifier and cap, then it worked.

The reason the machine broke was using Air arc, guess exceeded the duty cycle but has been running great since repair.
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 08-08-2018 at 07:26 PM.

may need help with that. I'm very green when it comes to electricity and wiring. i can read a wiring diagram but thats about the extent of it. i don't have a volt meter or anything of that nature.

Know how you feel about trouble shooting as my reading comprehension is very low/slow, if there are no pictures have a tough time understanding.

This manual has helped me figure things out since do not do this type of troubleshooting often enough.

https://www.westerbeke.com/troublesh...ing_manual.pdf

For a meter just get one at Harbor freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/11-fun...ity-61593.html

Then find a youtube video on how to use a meter.

Read your post again, my machine was generating power at outlets but was not welding. You will have to follow a trouble shooting guide and test components as needed.
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 08-08-2018 at 11:16 PM.