Just joined and looking to buy soon
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Just joined and looking to buy soon

Hey y’all. New here. I’ve dabled in and off with welding but I’m not good. I’m ready to start learning though. I build cars as a hobby and encounter everything from sheet metal, frame damage, exhaust, rollbar s, etc. I have determined that a 190-210 class welder will probably fit my needs. 190 covers what I need now. 210 would give me a little cushion if I needed to do something larger/thicker later. Aside from China elders it appears the Hobart 210mvp is the cheapest option at under $850, Miller is close to $1300 for the 211 and the Lincoln 210 is damn near $1500. Is there anything else that compares to the Hobart as far as potential and price go?

Anyway, thanks for the community and hope to learn a lot here.

List of potential buys

Lowes/Hd Lincoln 180 $600
    Hobart 190-$689
    Hobart 210 $839
    HF Migmac 215. $600
    HF OmniPro $820
    Eastwood 250 MiG $880
    Eastwood 250 MPI $700 ($1000 with accessories)

I want the best machine I can get for under $1000. This price point and machine power levels are above my current needs, but will allow me to grow in the future should I desire. 220V is not an issue. I have a plug with appropriate breaker. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Mrmonk7663; 08-06-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Re: Just joined and looking to buy soon

Didn’t the price on HF ones go up?

AHP is supposed to have a new mig out soon. Or so I hear
    What about Everlast? Razorweld/Vipermig? I think the Hobart Ironman may fall under your price range too.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Didn’t the price on HF ones go up?

AHP is supposed to have a new mig out soon. Or so I hear
    What about Everlast? Razorweld/Vipermig? I think the Hobart Ironman may fall under your price range too.
    The HF ones have gone up without a coupon. I looked at Everlast and compared them to the Eastwood units. The Eastwood’s looked better on paper for the price. Supposedly per Eastwood they had their welders made for them, not rebadged like their older units were. Both offer nice warranties.

The biggest thing for me is how long the units will last and the price. Transformer based units from my research suggest that 10-20 years of service in a hobby environment is normal for Lincoln Hobart and Miller. The other brands I don’t know. The prices vs power and features on the import welders are nice though.

The Ironman 230 is unfortunately close to $1500 currently. I’ve seen people state they have gotten the 230 for around $1000 but I can’t find that deal. If I could get the 230 for $1000 then that would be my choice. I just don’t see any deals like that though. And the 210 mvp I’ve seen folks get for low $700s but best I’ve found is $839 to my doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmonk7663 View Post
    Supposedly per Eastwood they had their welders made for them, not rebadged like their older units were. Both offer nice warranties.
    lol that's a bunch of bullsh*t. It's made in the same factory as a lot of other companies. The OEM gets to choose some options. Everlast doesn't do much besides rebadged it. Companies like Everlast are always making improvements in software and hardware, much like Razorweld. Everlast is a far cry above Eastwood. IMO
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    lol that's a bunch of bullsh*t. It's made in the same factory as a lot of other companies. The OEM gets to choose some options. Everlast doesn't do much besides rebadged it. Companies like Everlast are always making improvements in software and hardware, much like Razorweld. Everlast is a far cry above Eastwood. IMO
    That’s the hard part for me and the import welders. Sorting fact from fiction. That’s why I’m leaning towards the Hobart unit, but admittedly all I have is internet research behind me, no practical experience to tip me one way or the other, so I defer to you all

That’s the hard part for me and the import welders. Sorting fact from fiction. That’s why I’m leaning towards the Hobart unit, but admittedly all I have is internet research behind me, no practical experience to tip me one way or the other, so I defer to you all

This is the Eastwood info I referred to. It’s from this forum.

“Hi guys,

I wanted to clear up a few of the concerns on our new Eastwood welders that I've seen mentioned her and on a handful of other forums.

1.These are NOT rebadged or rebranded welders made by another large company for us with our name on it.
    -These welders we designed and tested in house here at Eastwood. They were designed to be EQUIVALENT to the Lincoln Mig Pak 10 (our 135) and the Mig Pak 15 (our 175). We oversaw every step of the production process to make sure these were designed to our specs and expectations. Our main concern is to give you a welder that is built to the same specs and quality as a industrial welder, but priced towards a serious hobbyist.
    -We go so far as to back our welders with a 3 year warranty. That is backed by Eastwood Company, not by a 3rd party company, like people seemed to be confused about. We didn't begin offering these for a "quick buck", in fact we are working on designing further products to add to our welding product line (can you say affordable TIG and Plasma cutters?)

2. Consumables- Our welders are made with a Tweco style gun (the same as most major companies including Lincoln use). Therefore all consumable parts (nozzle, tips, etc) are available at any local welding supply store. We are enthusiasts here ourselves, and we know the frustration of needing a part or supplies halfway through the job and not being able to get it! (for me this past weekend it was running out of mig wire at 5:30PM on a Sunday and realizing the only local "Farm" store that would have wire closed at 5 )

3.These welders were not the ones you may have seen on Ebay a year ago for sale. Those were simply another company's welder we were retailing under their name. These welders are brand new welders that we designed from step 1. Any other welders you may have seen previously were before we began manufacturing our welders.

If you guys have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them!

***In fact I can offer anyone that is on the fence about one of our welders the chance to try it for 30 days with a hassle free return policy. Buy it, use it to weld your rusty project car, patch a frame on the same project, your sons go-kart, your fence in your yard, your neighbor's shed doors, whatever... If you don't like it or it doesn't meet your expectations (which I highly doubt!), than give us a call and we will be gladly take it back and refund your money.***

Hope that cleared up a few questions and concerns.

-Matt/EW”

I'll pm ya
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180

Can you speak to the availability and process for service after the existing of the 3 year warranty, do you provide diagnostic assistance and sell parts? Do you peroxide schematics for the machines on customer request?
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

I doubt he will reply here as I copied that post from a different thread on weldingweb where Eastwood came up.

Welcome! Keep an eye on craigslist for used machines.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I can recommend the Hobart 210MVP. I got one of those last winter and it is very nice. I use any of several Lincoln PowerMig 255 welders all day at work and frankly I prefer the crisp solid arc of my own Hobart over them.

Appreciate the feedback. Amazon gave me a $70 gift card for signing up with their credit today. The mvp is as cheap there as anyway else so that’s looking like the game plan.

It’s done. After the gift card and tax, $797 to my door. And an additional $40 back via their card promotion. Hobart 210 MVP. Thanks for the help and the welcome.

It’s done. After the gift card and tax, $797 to my door. And an additional $40 back via their card promotion. Hobart 210 MVP. Thanks for the help and the welcome.
    You'll be happy with the Hobart. MILLER , LINCOLN , and HOBART have been proven machines for over 50 years. My old shop still has Hobart 220 big machine the oldman bought 60 years ago.
    It stays in the shop and is still used.

I own a Everlast 200 DVI and it welds very well. It is primarily used as my TIG machine. But, I also own several older Idealarc Round Tops and I find the transformer arc to be superior. The Idealarc's I purchased for around $200 and they are simple and work great!

Have a great day!
    Kell
    Kell in Florida

Everlast Powertig 200
    Everlast Supercut 51P Plasma

Several vintage Idealarc 250 Round Tops

"I don’t care that they stole my idea … I care that they don’t have any of their own."

That's a good deal. Now you need a cart, that welder is heavy.
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180

If had a chose it would be the Hobart 210
    It works on both 120volts and 240volt
    It is you would buy any more welders

I have own Hobart the will last and works
    Today I have HF 170 it was low cost it works for ever i need and it was low cost.
    But if had the money I would Got Hobart or Miller

Dave

Hey y’all. New here. I’ve dabled in and off with welding but I’m not good. I’m ready to start learning though. I build cars as a hobby and encounter everything from sheet metal, frame damage, exhaust, rollbar s, etc. I have determined that a 190-210 class welder will probably fit my needs. 190 covers what I need now. 210 would give me a little cushion if I needed to do something larger/thicker later. Aside from China elders it appears the Hobart 210mvp is the cheapest option at under $850, Miller is close to $1300 for the 211 and the Lincoln 210 is damn near $1500. Is there anything else that compares to the Hobart as far as potential and price go?

Anyway, thanks for the community and hope to learn a lot here.

List of potential buys

Lowes/Hd Lincoln 180 $600
    Hobart 190-$689
    Hobart 210 $839
    HF Migmac 215. $600
    HF OmniPro $820
    Eastwood 250 MiG $880
    Eastwood 250 MPI $700 ($1000 with accessories)

I want the best machine I can get for under $1000. This price point and machine power levels are above my current needs, but will allow me to grow in the future should I desire. 220V is not an issue. I have a plug with appropriate breaker. Thanks!!!

The company I work for sells used machines but it's very far to ship, but maybe they have an industrial surplus place closer to you?
    Gina M. Tabasso
    HGR Industrial Surplus
    gtabasso@hgrinc.com
    www.hgrinc.com

No need for a used supplier. The Hobart is on its way I did look at used options here locally but nothing came up. People here in Colorado overvalue used items often trying to sell for more than new. Pretty aggravating. Either way purchase is done. And yes I do need a welding cart haha. Not sure if I will buy or DIY the cart. I’ll cross that bridge soon enough. Same for the table. I would like a simple 2’x4’ table with at least 1/2” top.

I have an old HF flux welder. It’s crude for sure but makes metal stick...when it feeds correct (not often haha)