Contactor/relay for converting tip from hot to cold
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Question Contactor/relay for converting tip from hot to cold

A friend just acquired an old Mighty Mig 101 (110v/85a) and was surprised to see the tip is always hot. After advising it's normal operation for that level of welder he asked about options. The best (most cost effective) I could come up with was a 24v/100a relay. $17 could make this a worthwhile upgrade. Might this work?

*EDIT+ -- If correct with my line of thinking, at $8, this could be well worth it. another 24v/100a relay
    Last edited by golem; 08-07-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Re: Contactor/relay for converting tip from hot to cold

Switching the high voltage to the transformer is generally easier and delivers far longer relay life.

Only problem you encounter is cooking the switch in the gun with the spikes created when the gun switch opens. That is solved by adding a diode across the gun switch.

While you're in the process of building a welder spend a few more bucks and add a solonoid to the gas line to save gas leaked thru the halvass gun.

Appreciate the insight.

It's interesting that you mention wasted gas. When I was speaking with him this morning he said it was surprising that after a test run with the Mighty Mig on Saturday he left the cylinder attached (closed cylinder valve) and this morning it was evident the line held pressure. With his Millermatic 200, from which he borrowed the bottle, he said it bleeds down completely in less than 24hrs.

My Millermatic 200, one of the last of the REAL MILLER machines is 1982 vintage.
    Fortunately the valve still holds, but if it dribbled a little at its age I wouldn't bych.

You might also want to check the Mighty Mig for a flow restricting orfice. If one ain't there it's a good investment.

I'd guess his Miller is also from the late 70's early 80's. If he sells it (which he might in the near future) someone will be very well served getting an extremely low hours unit. Probably hasn't seen more than 10lbs of wire run through it.

I'll pass on the orifice suggestion.

Thanks again!