Just an inch off
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Just an inch off

I rebuilt this trailer. Now I’m building a flatbed for it to utilize it’s 16k capabilities and no need for messing with ramps. There’s two things I hate about trailers and it’s ramps and securing the load. Atleast one of these will no longer be an issue.

I went to the steel house and bought the metal for the frame, cross members and plate steel. It’s much heavier than it needs to be but id rather it be more than not enough. I should be able to haul any skid steer or even my 100hp tractor w/o the loader.

I spent a long time making sure everything was true and double triple checking for uniformity. Somehow in all the checks I made a whoops and got it off by an inch. Noticed it when I put the plate up there to test for fit. Got the tape out and saw my mistake. Used the gouging tip from the 45xp and made it very simple to fix the mistake. It carries all the way to close to the front of the Trailer. I just fixed the rear so the plate will look good and it’ll be covered up in the middle.

Sucks how quick a simple oversight and ruin your day

Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Just an inch off

I use a rail system for fitup, and tacking. Rails are made flat by shimming, then whatever I'm building is placed on those rails for fitup.

So...……….I'm putting together some square tubing. Long pieces on the lengthwise portion of the rails, and crossmembers also on those rails. Simple clamp up, right??

I forgot to grind down some welds on one of the crossmembers WHICH HAPPENED TO BE LOCATED EXACTLY WHERE THE CROSSMEMBER IS TO BE CLAMPED TO THE RAILS.

The welds caused the crossmember to sit at an angle on the rails. Didn't catch this till I had started on the finish welding

I can share your pain.

A rollback trailer! Nice! I hated ramps as well and wanted to build a rollback trailer as well. I ended up with a tilt bed and LOVE IT!
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    I use a rail system for fitup, and tacking. Rails are made flat by shimming, then whatever I'm building is placed on those rails for fitup.

So...……….I'm putting together some square tubing. Long pieces on the lengthwise portion of the rails, and crossmembers also on those rails. Simple clamp up, right??

I forgot to grind down some welds on one of the crossmembers WHICH HAPPENED TO BE LOCATED EXACTLY WHERE THE CROSSMEMBER IS TO BE CLAMPED TO THE RAILS.

The welds caused the crossmember to sit at an angle on the rails. Didn't catch this till I had started on the finish welding

I can share your pain.
    Makes it even worse when you lay down some nice welds!

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    A rollback trailer! Nice! I hated ramps as well and wanted to build a rollback trailer as well. I ended up with a tilt bed and LOVE IT!
    I’ve heard great things about a tilt Trailer. This one kind of fell in my lap and I completely rebuilt it. Have 5 containers for it, 2 are useable, 3 need new floors and will be for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Somehow in all the checks I made a whoops and got it off by an inch
    I hate it when that happens...

Sorry to here that. I have been using a self leveling laser level lately. I could see using at least 2 on one job. Set the up and leave them. Worthy investment.

be thankful it was only an inch and not a foot
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

rustyshakelford

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    Sucks how quick a simple oversight and ruin your day
    Nothing exacerbated my metal-illness more, then having
    to fix my own work . . .

Opus

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

rustyshakelford

to fix my own work . . .

Opus
    He's human after all...

Better an inch long, than an inch short.

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

rustyshakelford

to fix my own work . . .

Opus
    That’s a great point! The only people it usually bothers are the only ones that know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    Better an inch long, than an inch short.
    Heard that! I’ve got it down to about 1/4 off and I can live with that. Have most of the channel welded in. Need to do a little more before flipping it over. Worst part will be designing the wheels for the front and back rollers

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    Makes it even worse when you lay down some nice welds!

I’ve heard great things about a tilt Trailer. This one kind of fell in my lap and I completely rebuilt it. Have 5 containers for it, 2 are useable, 3 need new floors and will be for sale.
    I am curious, what is the weight of the roll back unit, trailer, winch tracks and empty container it must be pretty heavy even empty?
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

Better you, than me!
    ~~
    I surprise, even myself, at how fast I can work to cover my own, ... entropy.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by kolot View Post
    I am curious, what is the weight of the roll back unit, trailer, winch tracks and empty container it must be pretty heavy even empty?
    The approx weight is 5k for the Trailer and a 15 yard box. Trailer is about 4400 of that by my guestimations. It has two 8k Dexter torflex axles. I’ve been hauling rock and they loaded it with 7.95 tons the other day. I was grossing 32k leaving the scales. I told the operator 5-6 tons max. He has loaded me several times before. Ill be converting it to a GN when I can get some down time. I don’t know what the winch bed weights but it’s heavy when I pulled it off to rebuild everything

Brett