Exhaust fittings not welding well -- why?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Exhaust fittings not welding well -- why?

I purchased some exhaust tubing and various fittings (right angles, unions, etc.) from summit racing. I"m welding them together with my arc welder using 3/32" 6013 at about 75 amps. When welding, it seems to be going OK, I"m not putting holes in anything and it feels pretty good. But when it cools, sometimes there is a line through the bead right where the two pieces of metal join. It seems as if the two metals aren't mixing well? Could it be that I haven't sufficiently cleaned off some kind of coating from the fitting? Ideas?

Re: Exhaust fittings not welding well -- why?

Sounds hot, try turning down the heat a bit more. Many mandrel bends have oil/fat left in them as well.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Typical 6013 BS, try 3-32" 6011 around 50 amps.

^ I was afraid I'd burn through the pipe if I used the 6011. You think that would be OK on 14 gauge?

Yeah, you made need to make short welds and cool it with a wet rag, but doable. 6013 doesn't like low amperage, as you found out.

Quote Originally Posted by wyattwyattwyatt View Post
    I purchased some exhaust tubing and various fittings (right angles, unions, etc.) from summit racing. I"m welding them together with my arc welder using 3/32" 6013 at about 75 amps. When welding, it seems to be going OK, I"m not putting holes in anything and it feels pretty good. But when it cools, sometimes there is a line through the bead right where the two pieces of metal join. It seems as if the two metals aren't mixing well? Could it be that I haven't sufficiently cleaned off some kind of coating from the fitting? Ideas?
    Depends on the line.

Is it completely unjoined material?

Or is it this type of line just because the center cools last?

Name:  Screenshot_2018-08-09-13-16-08.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  62.2 KB

If it's just unjoined metal then amps too low for 6013 and/or arc too long.

6011 in 3/32" will allow you to run low amps like MJD said. Whip and pause works well.
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 08-09-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Just tried 6011 at 50 amps as was suggested and it works way better -- thanks!!

Good to hear it worked for you. Even tho 6011 is a deep penatration electrode, it works good on thin material because it's capable of staying lit at pretty low amperage.

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Typical 6013 BS, try 3-32" 6011 around 50 amps.
    6013... I have suffered that maaaaaaaaaany many times. Even though is very common here in Spain, I don't like it at all. I preffer to pay more and get basic (7018/7016) or cell rods.

Just tried 6011 at 50 amps as was suggested and it works way better -- thanks!!
    would have been good to see a pic of the issue.

i'm picking it was coating issue. 6011 is an aggressive arc which makes it good for burning through crap.

6013 can work fine and its typically the easiest rod to use. however one big catch is there is a ton of different versions of 6013 around, from sheet metal rods to pipeline rods.
    provided the work is clean there is no reason it can't do the job.

Yeah, the coating was my first thought. The exhaust tubing that I bought was not coated but I"m pretty sure the fittings had some sort of aluminum coating.

Yeah, the coating was my first thought. The exhaust tubing that I bought was not coated but I"m pretty sure the fittings had some sort of aluminum coating.
    According to the Summit racing website all their mild steel exhaust tubing is aluminized. I think that's the cause of that line on top of the weld bead. Contamination from the aluminium. It could cause cracks, especially in an exhaust that vibrates and goes through heat cycles every day.
    Grind the weld area to clean steel outside and inside.
    I don't think the 6013 rod has anything to do with that contamination.

Eric
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Sounds to me like it was a slag line thru the center of the weld. Very common with 6013 with low amps or not ideal travel speed. I really believe the coating doesn't have a lot to do with it. I have mig welded a lot of aluminzed exhaust parts without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    According to the Summit racing website all their mild steel exhaust tubing is aluminized. I think that's the cause of that line on top of the weld bead. Contamination from the aluminium. It could cause cracks, especially in an exhaust that vibrates and goes through heat cycles every day.
    Grind the weld area to clean steel outside and inside.
    I don't think the 6013 rod has anything to do with that contamination.

Eric
    The particular tubing that I bought (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-47986)was not aluminized. But the fittings that I was welding it to were. I was thinking that is why there was the line -- the two metals seemed to resist mixing.

I would have tried cleaning up the fittings, but the 6011 was working well without doing so, so I just stuck to that.