Saw Horse/Weld fixture idea Advice please
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Saw Horse/Weld fixture idea Advice please

I seem to be making lots of frames/tables in my 2 car garage. Room is tight, floor not level and my regular welding table is 3'x4'. Here is my idea please provide feedback. I plan to make two saw horse like fixtures. They will be low to the ground 2 feet I assume. I want to use Leveling feet (See below for a link). Each saw horse will be 4' in length. I will use an I beam welded to each upright. If needed I could lay steel as a runner across the top of the I beam.
    I did a search and could not really find anything.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...vid=4287923249
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Re: Saw Horse/Weld fixture idea Advice please

I have a set I made, similar to that but taller. Personally I would just use a 3/4" nut welded to the lower piece with a bolt and jamnut. I used a semi trailer crossmember, which is basically a 4" high by 2" wide I beam, about 1/8" thick material. They are 102" wide, so cutting in half , the width is perfect. Plenty strong, lighter and cheaper( about 30$) for the crossmember. I used 2"x2"x 1/8" square tube for the upwrights.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Thanks JDM. I may do the nut and bolt thing. I have done it in the past. Have a picture of your set up?
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

question. if you have limited space in your garage, can you make each sawhorse foldable so they can be stored against the wall when something else come up and have to use that space. just asking. i have a 30x50 metal barn and have mine moveable to get completely out-of-the-way so I can pull a car in and I can probably pull into cars with it out-of-the-way. My Barn is a big but they are never big enough.
    lincoln 125sp
    monkey wards 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    of course duramax diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
    Thanks JDM. I may do the nut and bolt thing. I have done it in the past. Have a picture of your set up?
    I don't, pretty much like you drew, with angle for the bottom. I think mine are 28-30" but it's a taller horse. I set the legs in about 5-6" on each end of the beam. The nut is welded to the top of the 2x2x3/16" angle, bolt threaded up from bottom. I cut a slot so I can turn the bolt from top with a flathead screwdriver. The jam nut is also on top. I did that to avoid crawling on the floor to level them.

Make it the easy way.
    Put the adjustment on the top and you have a stronger horse with better footing.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Make it the easy way.
    Put the adjustment on the top and you have a stronger horse with better footing.
    I agree on top adjusting. Check the summer ones out.

http://www.sumner.com/sumner/sub/pro....9.33.0.0.html

Thanks guys. Glad I asked for advice.
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

That would probably work, but it seems rinky dink to me. The main point with having the bottom feet adjustable is that the horse won't rock because of an uneven floor. A 3 legged design would eliminate the rocking.

mines have four legs indepentently hinged with chains and turnbuckles foldable A shape all made from round tubing 20+years old seen 1000lbs+ and still going strong. keep it simple. and when not in use are suspended on the wall.
    Last edited by snowbird; 08-10-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Agree MJD I was just posting the picture for the adjust ability part. Pictures help me. I'm a slow SOB
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

I use welding stands https://bubbatool.com/brand/b-b-pipe...waAoNkEALw_wcB 4 of them and then I throw across whatever size or lenth of pipe or bar I need. that way have quick adjustment on all 4 corners and they store great
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

most of the time I just threw some angle iron on four pipe stands and put the metal I was working on that .and because the pipe stands were screw ajusatable you could always level it.
    Last edited by gxbxc; 08-10-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Hey, Dave

This is a handy thread as I'm contemplating building a couple of sawhorse style folding stands myself for both metal fab work and carpentry and new-to-me ideas are always welcome. I'm thinking tripod legs to make it more stable than four legs on uneven surfaces, hinged legs, tube in tube height adjustment and perhaps Unistrut for the top crosspiece as it's available in both round hole and slotted styles which would make fixturing easy.

Slotted Unistrut link: http://www.unistrut.us/index.php?WP=...=S05&P=P1000SL

I have some 10' sticks of the 12 ga. round hole 1-5/8"x1-5/8" strut and a stick or two of the 14 ga. 1-5/8"x13/16" strut with the 3" slots on 4" centers which would work well for top pieces. The 1-5/8" square strut has 9/16" holes on 1-7/8" centers and fits snugly into 3/16" wall 2" square tubing but still slides freely. All I'd have to do for height adjustment would be to add spring loaded pins to each fixed upright. And I have several lengths of the 3/16" wall 2" square tubing on hand.

Come to think of it, if the open side of the strut were faced up it would make using fixtures a snap as they could be slid anywhere on the length of the top crosspiece and if you had to buy the strut that would let you use the less expensive and stiffer non-perforated strut......

I'll buy or build pipe jacks at some point, likely buy though as I probably can't make them for what B&B sells them for.
    Lance R

2012 Miller Bobcat 225
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC (x2)
    Lincoln LN-25 (temporarily x3....)
    Torch set

Double nuts and washers will help too. Maybe check for used scaffold screw feet with adjustments. Most have that acme thread and can be as large as 2" in diameter. Something like on pipe stands.

Thanks BD1 I like that big thread, never new where to get them from. Acme thread? New to me.
    LanceR I have some tripod stands I made years ago I will post a link below. The work OK. I seem to be making lots of big table frames. The last table was 36x102 30" high with 6 legs.
    Just hard to work with on the small stands.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...and&highlight=
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

I have about 10 of the pipe jacks. They work great!

Other option that I use sometimes when my 42x74" table is too small is to clamp/tack some 4x2 tubes across the top. I have built 10x12 door frames this way and it works well.