Nozzle Gel
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Nozzle Gel

Nozzle Gel

Hi there:
    I know nozzle Gel is suppose to be used with nozzles while mig welding, but what about with a flux core nozzle? Should I be using it while flux core welding? TIA.

Re: Nozzle Gel

I don't use it, ever. No need really. Most of the spatter when welding with hard wire comes right out if you tap the nozzle. Sometimes I have to hit it with the MIG pliers, but its not a big deal to get out. I don't do a lot of self shielded flux core, but you don't need a nozzle with that stuff. You might put some on the diffuser if you don't have a flux core plastic cover for your gun (goes in place of the nozzle and covers the diffuser). Lots of folks use ordinary houshold items instead of fancy gels: vaseline, pam cooking spray, etc.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I use the same nozzle with both hard wire and Flux core because I didn't want to buy the Flux core nozzle. My gun has to have a nozzle. I use the gell to keep from clogging the gas ports. It makes it easier to keep clean.
    Just my 2 cents.

More chemicals going in your lungs.

I remove the nozzle on my gun when using self shielded wire.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Overhead, the other day. I used a lil Vaseline while playing around with that Lincoln MP210 video game machine.I kept getting burn back and a nozzle full of spatter. Then I went home and got my tapped 140 to finish the job..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    HEY, the environmental protectors can't be expected to provide everything to kill you, and the Medical industry needs income too.

I dip mine in vaseline every so often. One of these days I'm gonna try some bacon grease.
    Mike

Esab Rebel 215
    Lincoln Weldanpower G7
    Plenty of grinders, hammers, pry bars and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    That stuff ain't unsafe. I use MB Spatter Spatter. It's non toxic.. it's like mostly animal fat or veggy oil. Mostly just overpriced Pam cooking spray, but it works great.

https://shopweldingsupplies.com/prod...-spatter-spray

Actually, I rarely use it on the gun...…..mostly spray it on my clamps when they're holding something subject to spatter getting on the threads.

I went to CVS and bought their house brand of Vaseline and It is working quite well as nozzle gel. It is keeping the contact tip free of any spatter caused by the flux
    core wire.

Cleaning the nozzle on a regular basis works best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    I remove the nozzle on my gun when using self shielded wire.
    I do this as well.

I have never needed to clean spatter off of my flux core gun. It does not build up like it does inside a nozzle. If I did not have a dedicated flux core gun I would probably wrap some heat tape around the gun area just to make it harder to short it out by accidental contact with the work. The contact tip I would leave exposed just like on my flux core gun.