Wood n Metal - pls give your opinions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Wood n Metal - pls give your opinions

Hi

I'm building an end table of sorts - will post the finished product pic - but value all your opinions on the wood finishing ideas. I have 1" tube steel for the frame and am currently gluing some biscuited boards together to make the 16" X 18" table top - that will sit inside the frame on top. The metal I am going to treat with the Sculpt Nouveau Black Magic. NOW for your opinions please - in this pic I have a section of the tube treated to final color and 4 pieces of wood. The lower two I just rubbed with Danish Oil (they actually have a richer/deeper color in person) - the top two I scorched with a propane torch.....oh yeah - and the table top will be three strips of the Ash and a single strip of the Zebra wood where the Zebra wood ends up off centerline of the table top. I'm excited about the look....please let me know your opinions on the wood finishing - interested in what you'd do!

Name:  woodandmetal.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  143.4 KB

Re: Wood n Metal - pls give your opinions

Personally, I really like the look of the top piece of wood.

I would combine it with the lighter variation in position 3.

I think if you try mixing it with that straight-grain stuff, you'll end up with something that looks entirely odd. Much like mixing pinstripes with plaid or checker pattern.

The dark metal looks fantastic and I think it will only help to compliment the darker wood. The blonde stuff, with all that straight grain, is just a bit too "lumber" like. It reminds me of cheap plywood someone wanted to dress up so it didn't look like cheap plywood.

The spotted wood has depth and character that sets it apart from the herd. It looks classy and is different from what folks might normally run into. With the dark steel framing it.... you've got a win.

I agree with that.
    Top and third from the top are really nice.

Eric
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

This is five different tropical hardwoods

I use satin marine varnishes due to UV resistance in sunny areas.and Scotch spills. I think this was Man-o-war brand

Name:  20170106_141754_resized.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  260.2 KB

Name:  ratedx.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  angledangle2.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  73.3 KB
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 08-11-2018 at 11:59 AM.

What about the tile flooring that looks like wood? No finish needed

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    What about the tile flooring that looks like wood? No finish needed

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    Thats actually a damn good idea as nice as I've seen in some videos lately. Some of that " wood" will take 3-4 looks to make sure it isn't real.
    Walnut, ipe, maple,oaks. I imagine they have them all.