Vulcan MigMax 215
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Vulcan MigMax 215

In my search for a welder, someone mentioned in another section that I should consider the MigMax 215.

I have some questions for those of you in the know.

1. During the 1 year warranty period
    Do you physically return the machine to HF for any necessary service?

2. After the 1 year warranty period
    Do you physically return the machine to HF for any necessary out of warranty service?
    If it's something you can fix/replace yourself, can you purchase parts? Or is everything a return to HF for the fix?

3. Has anyone had to have service on their Vulcan? You long did it take if you did?

4. Are the consumables (contact tips, nozzles, etc) compatible with other manufacturers, or do you have to buy everything from HF?

5. What type of connectors do the mig gun and work clamp cables have on them? Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anything in the documentation/specs.

6. Can you upgrade the mig gun to another brand, or is it Vulcan specific? As an example....replace the 10' mig gun with a 13' - 15'.

If there is anything else that I should consider, please chime in.

Thanks
    Gregg

Re: Vulcan MigMax 215

1. During the 1 year warranty period Do you physically return the machine to HF for any necessary service?
    Technically you are supposed to call their 800 number and let them triage/diagnose on the phone. But I think the smart play is to just take it back for a refund, and start fresh with a new machine

2. After the 1 year warranty periodDo you physically return the machine to HF for any necessary out of warranty service?
    If it's something you can fix/replace yourself, can you purchase parts? Or is everything a return to HF for the fix?
    I believe everything is a return to HF to fix. Only AHP and Everlast (same owner of both companies) will send you parts and have you do the repair, so far as I know.

3. Has anyone had to have service on their Vulcan? You long did it take if you did?
    I think most times they just give you a new one.
    4. Are the consumables (contact tips, nozzles, etc) compatible with other manufacturers, or do you have to buy everything from HF?
    Not sure

5. What type of connectors do the mig gun and work clamp cables have on them? Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anything in the documentation/specs.
    The MIG gun has their own connection pin. The work lead is a DINSE

6. Can you upgrade the mig gun to another brand, or is it Vulcan specific? As an example....replace the 10' mig gun with a 13' - 15'.
    Not sure. At some point HTP is likely to create a gun for this.

Do some searches on this board. Lots of positive reviews. Terry (Shovelon) says its a no brainer. AvE did a video review and declared it skookum!

Try it for a year and if you don't like it you are not out any money. They are very good about the returns. Just buy from a local store (not an ebay reseller) and keep the receipt. They really mean it when they say you can take it back for any reason for 1 year.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Check this out.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerhgm View Post
    In my search for a welder, someone mentioned in another section that I should consider the MigMax 215.

I have some questions for those of you in the know.

1. During the 1 year warranty period
    Do you physically return the machine to HF for any necessary service?

2. After the 1 year warranty period
    Do you physically return the machine to HF for any necessary out of warranty service?

Thanks
    I did a two part review of the machine and have since sold it to my cousin, who has used it on many projects. He uses it around his farm and has had no issues.

During the warranty period you must return it to HF for replacement. They will likely give you a replacement, but one store manager I spoke with said that they would send it out for repair. I have yet to hear of that happening, but maybe at some point.

After the one year period you would likely be on your own trying to source parts if you had an issue with the internals of the machine. It's possible that you could take it to HF and pay to have them ship it out for repair, but unlikely from what I've seen from them. Possible though.

Contact tips are available just anywhere that sells anything welding related. You can get contacts tips for the MIGMAX welder at Home Depot, Lowe's, any local welding supply store, Harbor Freight, my local Napa sells them, etc., etc. The nozzle may not be as commonly available, but if I was worried about it I'd order a couple extra to have on hand and then never think about it.

As mentioned, I believe the MIG gun connection is their own, but I've heard that HTP makes a GUN that works with it now, thought I'm not positive that's true. It could be something where others would work, but that's not something I have a lot of experience with, so I can't say.

As for the work clamp, Louie says it is a Dinse, but the work clamp is hard wired on the MIXMAX 215, unless they changed it since I bought mine. It could still be changed, you just would have to crimp a ring terminal on the new cable and bolt it to the terminal inside the door of the welder.

I think the MIXMAX 215 is a good value, but the price has been creeping up lately, so it's becoming slightly less so in my mind. I have my doubts about getting it repaired after the first year if there are any issues. If you add the price of the three year warranty the value teeters a bit more. Still a good machine, but a bit less of a slam dunk then when it first released. In my opinion.

Also, in practice, the three year warranty may amount to simply walking into Harbor Freight and getting the welder swapped out. But in actually reading the paperwork that they give you with that warranty, it sounds like it could get more complicated than that if they decided to only follow the letter of the contract.