Small welding table build - my first proper welding project
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Small welding table build - my first proper welding project

Hi folks

I recently took up welding in order to expand the capabilities of my small home machine shop. I've had a 180 amp transformer welder on loan for a time and been getting some practical under my belt, as well as reading and watching as much about the subject as I can find.

I then discovered the welding table thread and that was it, I was lost to the world until I'd seen every page, and from it I was able to garner all I needed to come up with my own

I don't need a big table as I only have model engineering machines but the fixtures and tools I'm likely to make need to be heavy duty to retain as much rigidity as possible, so I chose to spend the best part of my budget on as thick a top as I could muster.

I saw a 685x540 mild steel drop going for just £80 on eBay which I snagged and while it is only 10mm thick, its the perfect size for me and I was able to spend the rest of my budget on some 50x30x3mm box section to make the table frame and legs, a length of 30x30x3mm for the leg bracing, set of F clamps and some other welding sundries to boot.

While I waited for things to arrive, I sketched up a basic design for my table with a view to adding things to it once it's put together but omitted them from the drawing for clarity:

Everything is now on hand but got stuck for a few days as the weather suddenly turned bad. Most annoyingly, it's actually been nice out most days this week during early shift work hours but then starts raining once I get home (or shortly after).

Was finally able to cut the lengths for the table frame today but the rain didn't hold off long and I had to rush getting my tools inside and the steel covered after the last cut:

frame legs

Tried cutting the box section for the table top frame sideways to speed things up, didn't like the finish it left, so continued widthways despite the threat of rain

I'm on late shift next week so it's back to early morning tinkering, which suits me better Hopefully I'll be able to weld the frame together, weather permitting but until then, stay safe, stay happy and keep those sparks flyin' ([;] )
    "It's not the destination but the journey you take to get there that matters"

Re: Small welding table build - my first proper welding project

Good Job
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Thanks Reebs

Great project to undertake. I'm already envisioning my 2nd welding table build..

Keep the photo a coming.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Thanks T man

Wish we had the good weather back as I'm dying to start welding it up already. It'll just be a plain top to begin with but after my milling machine is restored, I'm going to get creative with it and the fixturing.

Hi folks

Had lovely weather this morning, which meant I was finally able to weld up my table and just managed to finish and tidy up before the rain started.

I tack welded each piece inside and out all round first so it would pull the box evenly, then went over the seams pwith a full weld once it had cooled down.

I only tack welded the frame tot the top but laid beads all the way round the legs for added rigidity.

Here is what it looks like so far

And with my hand on it for size reference

Still a bit to do yet, hopefully tomorrow morning will be nice again but will have to see how it plays out.

So until next time, stay safe, stay happy and keep those sparks flyin' ([;] )