New Adventure Begins - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: New Adventure Begins

That is what I read too. Seems strange.

The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.
    Confucius
    The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.
    Confucius

westinghouse built and owned the Westinghouse broadcasting network

Well, it does seem that there is still an archive of Westinghouse. It's in PA though. http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-...=US-QQS-mss424

Thanks, I reviewed their list of the archives and didn't see much about the welding division. I have sent an email to the archivist at the university for help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Good deal

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    I checked this morning and it has the 235 CI version of the Chrysler industrial engine. I have the plugs out and soaking with ATF

chry ind didnt have a 235,, they had a 230 and a 236.6,, pls take out the plugs, add atf and make sure u can turn it completely over least 2 times before u fire it,, my navy 56 GE 300 amp ruind a bunch of valves and lifters doing just that, requires a complete teardown and those industrial sodium fill valves are expensive, the lifters are mushroom head and the flanges break off if they are stuck, the dodge weaps carriers,command cars used industrial 230s buck

Your right the 236.6 is what I'm working on

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

I found this is the bottom of the generator today. I think this could be fatal. It was in a mouse nest. What's your thoughts? Other damage like this could have the generator locked up. I'm starting to get ATF mixture coming into the pan now so it's doing some good. Still stuck tight!

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Don't give up if you have zero current. The residual magnetism may have to be reinstated. Need an expert but basically you momentarily short out the field winding. Was common practice for DC generators to lose residual magnetism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not worried about that yet. Just concerned about the shrapnel I found in the generator. I will keep looking

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

After a little search in our deep dark files I came across some info on this rig.
    Its design is around 1933 to 1939, I believe it to be a General Electric Cross Field generator ,also called a Flex Arc Welder.
    Question, were does the small wire off the lug by the amperage adjustment go to on the engines generator, Batt post, Field or Armature post?

A welding machine of the cross field type has a main frame ,a pair of oppositely disposed field poles carried/supported by the main frame. A series field winding on one of the field poles.
    With the armature between the field poles, the armature will have a pair of short circuited brushes in a plane/relation substantially perpendicular to the plane of the flux generated by the set of main brushes.
    The main brushes being connected in series circuit relation with the series field winding and on to load.
    A magnetic shunt can adjust the short circuited brushes and also control the field poles , adjustment provides a means to control the magnetic shunts and amount of armature reaction flux .
    This through your hand crank allows regulating flux cut by the armature to control welding output by the machine.
    A polarity switch is built into the main frame to allow operator to change polarity. As well as some machines such as yours has separate ranges as well.
    These machines are self exciting through the use of internal pole shoes with air gaps make it possible to provide auxiliary excitation of the pole windings of the main generator and therefore control the terminal polarity of the weld generator.
    I have about 24 pages of very detailed information on this generator, however it would require a very good understanding of generation systems to understand.
    Note , beyond the Chrysler engine there are absolutely no parts for this generator as far as I know, Brushes could be matched , however caution would be advised about spending much money on this machine as any internal generator problems will turn this rig into yard art.
    Interestingly I think your 4 wheel carriage may be factory original.
    I have seen these welders in my years,there were a couple 300 amp units that showed up in one of the shops many years ago the engines were pulled for parts and the rest scraped.
    At the time, and that's been many years ago the engines were worth more then the welders resale value, mainly due to the welders parts availability and age, and Unfortunely just old design.
    Mike.............

Thanks Mike
    As far as the auxiliary wire to the engine's generator it goes to the rear connection which I have no idea yet what's it's labeled.
    This machine is labeled a Flexarc and 300 amp. The data plate even lists the particular manual for it
    I plan on splitting the generator/engine and checking it out. I have contacted Helwig and brushes are no problem
    My partner that helps me in our Welder restoration hobby is a retired electrical engineer and would have a better understanding of your information than I.
    This is a fun project for me to show at antique tractor shows as this is a rare bird. I know it's not worth much as I didn't pay much Here's some pics of what we discussed

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

When you get some time take a little sand paper and clean around stud/post on generator .It should be stamped Batt, FLD or ARM. Or maybe something else.
    It is rare bird and I hope you have lots of fun with it, it sure would be neat it would produce current without much fuss...............

That's what I'm hoping. It's got such a neat look to it. Very unique. I'll check the generator

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210