New Adventure Begins
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Adventure Begins

Well guys after saying I wouldn't and resisting the urge to call on it, I bought the 40's Westinghouse Flexarc welder that was listed on Craigslist about 40 miles from me. Yesterday it was like Peter Seller's character Dr Strangelove whose hand had a mind of its own when it dialed the phone and it wasn't long until I had a welder bought. It was a domestic situation and it was his welder in her storage unit for the last year and half. The best I can tell it is a 1945 based on the serial number of 1-45. It has a Chrysler flathead 25 1/8" head. It's rated as 300amp welder. It appears to have 16 main brushes! Here are some pictures of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Re: New Adventure Begins

More pictures

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

It's all there and in great shape for its age. I will pull the plugs and add ATF to cylinders. Then I will blow and vacuum the generator out. The brushes I've checked are free. If anyone knows anything about this machine please share.

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Awesome! It makes me glad you did the right thing! I will be eager to see your progress!

The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.
    Confucius
    The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.
    Confucius

I think she was close to sending it to the scrap yard. That would be terrible!

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

We need some sort of antique machinery abuse prevention society to inform people about the tragedy mistakes like that impact thousands of innocent people around here. I want to see more video when you get her fired up.

Confucius
    Confucius

I hope it's soon. The thing about this welder there is not a wealth of knowledge or manuals to draw from like Lincoln, Miller or Hobart. Check out the engine speed control unit, Westinghouse manufactured. I guess this will be a learning process for sure

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

I bet it is all pretty simple though. Nothing fancy about the welder end I would assume except the brushes. The Chrysler should have some information out there. Only thing I would see being out of the mainstream would be the idler. I think most Westinghouse stuff was fairly straightforward though from the limited number of things I have seen in person. Just a thought, but I wonder if that model would have been sold to the military too. Maybe be able to find a field manual on it??

Confucius
    Confucius

Willie gave a source for Chrysler stuff on my GE thread. He also said he had one in a Westinghouse. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...My-next-welder. Hopefully he will see this shortly.

Confucius
    Confucius

Cool

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

That looks like a fun project, keep us posted. That look's a Ball and Ball carburetor on the engine and it looks similar to the one on the 230 cu in flat head six in my M-37. I THINK I have a manual for it somewhere. One word of warning though, the seals in those old carburetors won't tolerate alcohol so use PURE gasoline or get a seal kit made of modern material that will tolerate swill, er, I mean ethanol. Same for the fuel pump.

Thanks for the information Joe. Many years ago I helped a buddy rebuild his 47 Dodge pickup, I think it was the smaller engine , not a 25" head like this welder.

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

I checked this morning and it has the 235 CI version of the Chrysler industrial engine. I have the plugs out and soaking with ATF

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

How long has it been since it has run, is it stuck hard or are you being cautious? Do you know any of it's history at all?

Confucius
    Confucius

I have a hand crank that fits it. It seems to be stuck. Possibly the generator has a bunch of dirt daubers in it that has that stuck. I blew the generator out as best I could but can't get to all of it

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

I have no idea on history or when it was run last. I am totally flying blind on this one

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Good enough. How long are you going to let it soak?

Confucius
    Confucius

As long as necessary. I pulled on it awhile ago and it moved a smidge

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

That is a good sign! If you are getting progress that quickly, you ought to have it pretty quickly.

Confucius
    Confucius

I hope. I want to get it running enough to see if the generator is good then I can fix the engine, get a new battery, tires etc. I'm really hoping that Westinghouse engine idler is ok. I really have no idea about it.

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

If anybody has any experience with these Westinghouse generators as to how they excite or theory of operation I'm all ears. The main commutator has 16 brushes and no separate exciter section like Lincolns. Just wondering that's all

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Oh wow, CBS (yes, as in the media giant....) bought Westinghouse. That is not a good sign....and probably why there is not much history around to find. Nothing against CBS or anything, but it does ever seem to be a good thing when a company in a totally different industry buys someone out. I guess Westinghouse made some broadcasting components or something CBS wanted??

Confucius
    Confucius

I've even searched the Library of Congress, nothing available.

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

I had no idea. This is very interesting to dig into the history....or what there is to be found. It is a little strange that there is no more history from a giant corporation. I suppose stuff like this happens all the time. It seems that a few of our beloved corporations have lived on due to some employee pride where records and photographs were taken instead of destroyed.

Confucius
    Confucius

After CBS took over the welding division was gone overnight it seems. You would have thought they would had given technical plans,manuals, etc to some company or group

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210