Shop lighting
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop lighting

Shop lighting

I have been procrastinating on changing out my old mh lights I have 9 of them in a 40x50 18' wall shop and they are getting so dim Im wering a head lamp when im doing anthing that involves actually seeing what im doing. l guess middle age is playing a part to I purchased a led light from supiorior lighting and Am totallyimpressed with it so far its 25000 lumens and it noticably brighter than the 2 mh lights in the same row I have actually only turned on 1 row oflights when in there rather than all three when going in there and can still see its amazing! Now im curious these are 240.00 each and Im trying to understand life spans anyone have newer leds and how long they last? Or is it kind of like a tire that will go a 100000 miles. im start replacing them one a month until ther done ..but just trying to get some been ther done that info
    Last edited by idacal; 07-16-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Re: Shop lighting

I am looking for some replacement lights for in my shop, can you post a picture or two showing the lights and the difference between your old and new lights? Also info on the new light? I know anywhere i have replaced small lights over the last couple of years it has been with leds and so far they are lasting. I have a couple of marine customers that have put them on the decks of work boats and ocean going tugs and they are all pleased with how they are holding up.
    Mike

I now its not a straight up comparison because I got that section of wall sheeted but here is a couple of photos but here is what it is these are the 200 watt 2x4 http://www.superiorlighting.com/LED_...FQ5EfgodSUIAgA
    I also looked online for any coupons they were running and saved 10% the first light the second one I just ordered only 5%
    I was going to go with the 320 watt ones but I figured for the price difference I could run an angle bank of 3 15' up wall and be at the same lighting with less shadow
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

you will not go wrong with LEDs. Not only do they put out a LOT more light ... they use a LOT less energy to do it. I am familiar with the old Metal Halide lights and i would venture a guess that 10 of the LED fixtures will pull less than one of two of those Halide lamps. not to mention the LEDs wont radiate heat like the Halides do.

We just changed out all of our fluorescent lights (15) at the shop with 10 LED UFO fixtures and the difference is amazing. We spent a few hours playing with placement (well worth the time invested) to get optimum coverage.

They should outlast the metal halide lamps 3x over with zero maintenance ... same as our fluorescent lamps. I also have some LED lights in my home garage. I wont go back. The low power consumption plus zero heat, zero maintenance, and the life span easily offsets the price difference.

The website you listed states 50,000 hour lifespan which seems conservative against other claims of longer lifespans ...

50,000 at 70 hours a week is 714 weeks .... or 13.5 years.
    Last edited by AFFENDE; 07-16-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Thanks, how tall is your ceiling?
    Mike

Im planning on going back in with at least 9 of these because my sight is not going to get better as I get older but they are 200 watt versus 460 or so save about $7.00 per day when I forget to turn them off at night and if I need to I will put in a angle set Im going so blind its annoying leightrepairs 18'

idacal

Your ceiling may be tall enough to allow this
    product - and they are in your neighborhood.

https://www.simplyleds.com/

Opus

You may want to check with your utility company on any replacement fixtures that will use less energy. Local power supplier had programs offered where they bought the fixtures and you supplied the labor to install or vise versa. Wouldn't hurt to research.

I bought the inexpensive LED 4' shop lights from Costco . Amazing brightness for the $20 to $25 price. Best feature is that work in cold cold temperature and no noise. I removed two four bulb fluorescent fixtures and replaced with two two bulb LED and they were considerably brighter. I did the garage first with 10' walls first and could not believe the difference. The newer models have a pull chain too and can be daisy chained together , fixture to fixture.

I don't know if this would be acceptable for your application but maybe get one and test. Here's the post from GARAGEJOURNAL about the fixtures when they just hit the market. .
    https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=270879

i got these mh lights through one of those programs these were take downs that were being sold on craigslsit for25.00 each and I needed light that I could afford at the time. but now I want to be able to see again. I havent checked to see if there is any rebates available last time I checked locLly they had to be professionlly installed so the cost was way up there each

The white walls will reflect 85% ish of the light - so well worth it
    "free light" once it's done.

with zero maintenance ... same as our fluorescent lamps.
    Fluorescent lamps shouldn't have zero maintenance.

Tubes lose up to half their output in the first year

If you have tubes it's worth replacing them every year-plus fresh tubes seem to hep ballasts last longer

If you compare new LED's to the old Fluroscents you took out then yes the new ones will be brighter.
    It's harder to compare new to new

Most of that data comes from the pot growers - they have put in the research on lighting

I notice that I like light in the 6500K range - that's the blueish tint "daylight" lamps

I'm still waiting on LED's for the costs on the really big ones to come down.

I got these 4 foot LED lights from costco and sam's club. Sometimes on sale for $25 or $30 but worth every penny. I have 5 and want to add another

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/linkab...lp:product:1:4

Best part for me about LED lights in addition to the low cost, light weight is that when I am in the shop at night with the doors open the bugs don't swarm around the lights. The neighbor has a lot of florescent bulbs in his garage and bugs are everywhere
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas & MBC Dealer and more

The wheat fields of Kansas,in a large metal building

I have CFL's in my shop while they are not LED they do use less than a quarter of the watts my MH lights use. I have had them for 5 years and had two bulbs fail out of 68.

Steve
    Steve from SoCal now in Hutch

Miller Dynasty 300DX Coolmate3 Speedway Torch
    Miller XMT 450 MPa plus with D-74 MPa Plus
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    And a whole bunch of machines

I have a mix of T5HO and high bay LED lights in my shop with 22' sidewalls. IIRC, the break even on cost comparing watts per lumen of the cheaper to buy, more costly to run fluorescent vs. the cheaper to run, more costly to buy LED was about 3,000 hours at $.15/kwh.

My high bay LED have prismatic reflectors, which go well with a white ceiling. I did not like the mirrored reflectors for the LED. The LED emitters are so bright if they are within your field of vision they are between distractingly and painfully bright.

I bought my fixtures from e-conolight. Buy 1 and your inbox will be flooded with 10% to 20% off offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    I got these 4 foot LED lights from costco and sam's club. Sometimes on sale for $25 or $30 but worth every penny. I have 5 and want to add another

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/linkab...lp:product:1:4

Best part for me about LED lights in addition to the low cost, light weight is that when I am in the shop at night with the doors open the bugs don't swarm around the lights. The neighbor has a lot of florescent bulbs in his garage and bugs are everywhere
    I have a bunch of those also ... costco/sams they work good but I'm not crazy about the side shields on them... they block the light to the sides and leave a dark spot side/above
    If you hang them on the included chains, anything above is dark... for this reason I screwed them directly to my ceiling.
    bent the shields to the side on a couple others...

all said, they are a good deal.... I like the pull chains. nice option when you don't need the whole place lit up.
    Miller 211/Spoolmate 100
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Lincoln SP125 plus
    HTP 221
    Chicom spot welder

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Good thread! A majority of my friends are blue-collar guys with shops, and it always baffles me why so many of them have such poor lighting and work in such dim conditions. Eventually one or other of them will take the time to set up a gooseneck lamp over a machine, and then point it out to me saying, "Maybe you'll quit bellyaching about the light now!" . . . when the entire rest of the shop is still in the gloom. I don't get it, LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    Thanks, how tall is your ceiling?
    My home garage is about 12 feet, the current shop (removed flourescent lights and added LEDS) is 25ft, previous shop (removed metal halides and added LEDS) had 35' to the bottom of the lights.

The white walls will quite literally double the useable light. We spent a full week at the shop washing and painting walls white (first coat in 20 years) and it made a HUGE difference with the existing lights, and made even more of a difference with the new LEDs. We joked about shaded safety glasses .... but we were only half joking once we got all the lights installed.

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    Fluorescent lamps shouldn't have zero maintenance.
    i meant that the LEDs will have the same benefits over metal halides as LEDs do over flourescent lamps.

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    Most of that data comes from the pot growers - they have put in the research on lighting

I notice that I like light in the 6500K range - that's the blueish tint "daylight" lamps

I'm still waiting on LED's for the costs on the really big ones to come down.
    Yes on the pot growers .... Im in colorado and know more than a few people that were willing to give me their first hand experience on the LEDS

I am the same as far as preference for daylight 6500K lighting. I dont understand why everyone uses warm yellow lights in an energetic setting. I also have daylight throughout my house ... yellow lighting is just gross.
    Last edited by AFFENDE; 07-22-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

i had already changed most of my in house lighting to leds but during a little california grumbler earthquake, 2 flourescent tubes fell out of their fixture on my head covering me in glass bits and that grey powder inside, i was looking to change to all led,, i changed some at expense, but found in a discount grocery in loma linda a crate full of 5 footer flourescent looklike leds for 5$ each,, i bought 3 to try them out,, i wish i had bought 20 or 30,, when i got home my grandaughter dropped one beside my truck,, i backed over it, not one led quit, one i put under the eaves of my house turned on by my motion sensor, one in my carport and one i put emt tubing on it and use as underhood worklight working on my truck after dark, i have found another site selling inexpensive 8D tubes but also heavier higher intenstityl ights, check them out green led lights bucl, the one under my eaves lights up my entire front yard enuff the nightcrawler drug sniffin theives dont bother my yard ,,, much,, cept to shoot at my bulbs,, nightcrawlers are like cockroaches, they dont much like light, they knocked out my floods,, pellets dont do much to the leds cept put holes in the wood an plastic, buck
    Last edited by buck; 07-22-2017 at 07:18 PM. Reason: add

what i wanted to say earlier, of course i forgot the name of the bulb house but earthleds is kinda right, if u search for flourescent replacements you will find 4-5 similiar,, also i noticed not many bugs came to these lights,, im in a town that mines soda chemicals from a dry lake and that stuff turns most of these bugs into carnivores,, everything wants blood and meat, even the ladybugs , they,ll come flyin by scoop out a chunk an sit on a nearby limb with blood drippin off their elbows laffin their esses off an havin a picnic,, buck

Idacal, put a cover on that panel box in the corner there in your picture before you have a big problem!! Bob

Sams club has good deals on LED fixtures for shop lighting. A little brighter than most and good prices

Rhunt I have put it on multiple times then decide to runn another circuit 3 phase 220 200 amp panel is almost full. Thanks for the remider my 2 year old son is starting to come into the shop with me and I had been making it somewhat safer but i had forgot about that panel my next light came in so now to get it hooked up.
    Is there any benifet to running the round style of leds versus the ones im putting in That are an 8 bulb 5 ho replacement?

I swapped to LED a couple of years ago.
    Replaced 4 X 400w metal halide with 4 X 100w LED plus, a 150w LED over the welding table.

I also have pearl skylights so, have a fair amount of diffused light, these just take the shadows out.

Local government had a 50% rebate on when I replaced so, saved a stack of dollars.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Mick120; 07-24-2017 at 12:53 AM.
    Samson 510 CNC plasma table
    Hypertherm 85
    Broken quality welders and equipment.
    Another bunch of cheap arse replacements.

"You don't stop laughing when you get old....You get old when you stop laughing".

For you guys with all the high ceilings

Do you need all that clearance ?

Light intensity goes up the closer you get and it's non linear

Brightness as a Function of Distance.

The intensity or brightness of light as a function of the distance from the light source follows an inverse square relationship.
    So if you can lower your lights to half the distance, you get it four times brighter.

I need to be able to pull a drill rig in the shop and work on top of it without banging my head and be able to use a forklift to lift parts off but high ceilings if not needed are a pain hard to keep warm in winter to

I got my LED at Cheap Highbays.com 407 watts at 56,955 lumens and their 139 watt 19448 lumens Got them in the new building at 25 feet and 22 feet respectively. I think the big one was 399.00 including freight and the other 139 watt was 129.00 including freight. I am very pleased. Was experimenting with these and I am very surprised at how well the 60 wide x 100 ft building is lit up. I installed a 400 watt Metal H. out of my old building at the same height beside them just for experimenting and there is no comparsion. I do not work or sell for this company just thought I would pass it on to you folks. They do have other sizes. Richey