Shop lighting - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop lighting

Re: Shop lighting

This article talks of headaches associated with LED lighting. Anyone noticed a problem?
    Jerry

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...HEADACHES.html
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 24 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Quote Originally Posted by storeman View Post
    This article talks of headaches associated with LED lighting. Anyone noticed a problem?
    Jerry

Yup. LED's and dimmers are not a good choice. LED's need to be run wide open or not at all imo. I'm really struggling lately with a LOT of car lights too. Some of the new headlights and tail lights flicker and the spectrum they broadcast is wayyyyyyy too harsh, it seriously screws up my vision. I'm completely unimpressed with this whole super bright headlight craze anyways, its gone way too far imp and needs to be toned down 50% or so. For whats its worth I have slightly better than 20/20 and apparently the better your vision? The worse the side effects of LED flicker are.

For anyone using LED backlit monitors? You need to run them full bright and use a program called shades to darken the screen. Solved a lot of eye pain for me

Tim

Miller
    MM 250,251,251,252
    DeltaWeld 450 w/ WC-1
    CP-300 w/ 22A

T Red,was thinking of putting 12 of those lights in my shop,28ft.x32ft. with 12ft ceilings,what you think?
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!! "There are three kinds of men.The ones that learn by readin'.The few who learn by observation.The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves"-Will Rogers

I hope to pick a few up tomorrow and try them. We're going to build a few tripods to put them on. That way we can move the lights around. Mainly for painting. Our shop is dimly lit and we rent so we don't want to spend a lot on the building.

bhound, I think you'll be fine with that number. Especially if you have light colored walls and ceiling. Plus you can always add more by linking them.
    Tim

Miller
    MM 250,251,251,252
    DeltaWeld 450 w/ WC-1
    CP-300 w/ 22A

Jerry

I have not noticed this at all. I had fluorescent here in my office and changed to led. Partly because the fluorescent's were flickering.
    Tim

Miller
    MM 250,251,251,252
    DeltaWeld 450 w/ WC-1
    CP-300 w/ 22A

I get headaches from florescents..the hz is visible in a weak fixture and itll mess with your optic nerve.
    We ordered a case of the 4 ft LED tubes..think 25 came in the case. Spaced those out in the shop and it made a huge difference. Im actually about to go back and install some more, we ordered 80 more 4ft tubes and they just showed up today.
    I like them because they snap into the regular t8 fixtures and you clip the ballast out. No more guessing if its the bulb or ballast.
    Ill take a before and after pic, gonna eat real quick and get busy..
    Hopefully i can change out 20 fixtures this evening, each fixture has 3 bulbs.

Thanks. I was unaware they had led bulbs that worked in T8 fixtures. Pics and more info please.
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 24 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

I was unaware they had led bulbs that worked in T8 fixtures.
    I got some from here:

https://greenlightdepot.com/products...nt=14462080068
    Tim

I could be wrong but im pretty sure these are t8s that im replacing..ill double check in the morning. These are about $2.50 per bulb if i heard him right..
    I didnt get anywhere near the 60 bulbs i was shooting for tonight..changed 6 fixtures over to led (18) bulbs total tonight and i did save the working fluorescent bulbs that were still burning and got 3 other fixtures going without swapping them to the led..
    We still dont have enough for all the fixtures to be swapped yet, so im salvaging the others that still work.. this way i may have every fixture working till we can order another bundle of leds..
    The 18 that i got in tonight did make a big difference.. now just have 62 more left..
    Cleaning the shop out this weekend also, pretty easy to see its long overdue Name:  20170807_203445.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  95.7 KBName:  20170807_220145.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  97.6 KBName:  20170807_204345.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  51.3 KB

Just replaced every fluorescent in my shop with 2500 lumen LED (T12 direct fit) and each bulb had an onboard driver. Probably the easiest retrofit I've ever done. I would caution you to pay attention to the frequency values though. Mine are 5500K and I don't mind them, but some people do better with 6500K all the way up to 8500K (too blue for me). Not only is it user preference, but certain bugs are attracted to certain wavelengths as well. I know, I know. No one believes me. LOL Swear to the heavens. I've assisted in massive academic experiments using different wavelengths to attract and repel specific species. Anyway, well worth the cost. You'll be hardpressed to see an LED bank burn out in your lifetime if they're within the correct energy parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by STurnerXM2010 View Post
    Just replaced every fluorescent in my shop with 2500 lumen LED (T12 direct fit) and each bulb had an onboard driver. Probably the easiest retrofit I've ever done.
    where did you buy them?

any info on brand/model # ?
    Miller 211/Spoolmate 100
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Lincoln SP125 plus
    HTP 221
    Chicom spot welder

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.