Planning to build a boat port, looking for advice
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Planning to build a boat port, looking for advice

Hello all,

I know there is many ways to build a boat port, just driving down my road I can see 4 or 5 that are all built out of different materials and all look good and all look like they have been there for years and are plenty sturdy. I live in North Texas and we don't get enough snow to amount to any weight. I live in heavy woods so I don't get much cross wind either. I am just going to lay gravel under the port no concrete. I am not fully decided on size yet but I have rough sizes for now. I am looking for advice on how big/thick of material I need for this. My shop which is a 36' X 30' building on a concrete pad was made from 4" X 4" X 1/8" sq tubing with one set of uprights and gable at the front, middle and back of the 36' walls. It is plenty sturdy. The eaves are 14' and not sure on the peak but I would say close to 20'. I had it built, I did not build it. I do not need this to be near as large or as sturdy. I do want to make it out of sq tube though because I am good at working with tube. I have all the tools to cut it and its easy for me. I am not so good at working with pipe yet.

Roughly I expect it to be about 30' long and 12' wide with probably 10' eaves and I am going to say 13' at the peak in the middle. I am going to do a gable but we don't have enough snow to consider and I am thinking 3' rise over 6' of run is plenty steep. The majority of carports in my area are flat top at a very slight angle and don't seem to have any issues. I am thinking of using 2" X 4" tube so if I use 4" C-Purlin it will marry up to the 4" sides. I am thinking 1/8" thick will be good but again, that is why I am posting here, if that is nuts, let me know. I have seen some people use 2 X 2 tube and use the purlin flat instead of on edge. Seems on edge would be more sturdy for the roof but I see it both ways and really don't know if there is a "right" way or just a "better" way.

Any thoughts, experience, advice you want to give, I am all ears. I have learned most all I know from listening to others and even though there will be many different "right" ways to build this and maybe some discussion back and forth, I will happily take it all in.

Thanks,
    Greg

Re: Planning to build a boat port, looking for advice

No thoughts? I'm new to the forum, am I asking this in the wrong section maybe?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Around here you can have one assembled on your site for 695. +tax 12x20. Pretty sure I cant build it for that.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Quote Originally Posted by propanehotrod View Post
    Around here you can have one assembled on your site for 695. +tax 12x20. Pretty sure I cant build it for that.
    Well that is true and I could have similar done where I am. There are tons of carport companies that are cheap but then I would not get the experience. Being a hobby welder and not welding professionally every day or even week, I get my practical application by building things like this myself. It does cost a little more but it will also be more sturdy when I am done and I will have gotten more experience using my Bobcat for thinner metal in many different positions. I have a fairly solid MIG background but don't weld outdoors much with stick. I will also gain more experience in setting uprights correctly and setting gables straight. I'm sure one day I will not look for these projects and would rather sit in the A/C while someone does it for me but these are the reason I got into welding, it is a hobby that I enjoy and I can only get so much prac app out of running beads on test metal. Where I struggle is for things like this, what size metal to use. I could probably ask a company like Muller and they might could help since I will probably buy the skin from them anyway.

Thanks,
    Greg