Steady Business???
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Steady Business???

I own 50% share in a small business. I started my welding business, full time, about 6 years ago. 3years ago I took on a 5o% partner that brought carpentry skills, we incorporated into an LLC. The business has grown about 5% annually. We offer all things metal, shop fab, site work, steel, SS, Aluminum, etc. We offer carpentry work, repairs, new construction, etc....
    The jobs we do are always one off custom. Our customers like us and have returned repeatedly.
    For a reason I cannot realize, the bulk of our annual income is earned through the Months of March, April, May and June. From July through February work slows to a crawl. I'm sure it has to do with commercial budgets but 30% ish of our work is residential.
    If I could find a revenue stream that would sustain work through the slow months life would be great.
    All said, if anyone in business could lend advice it will be greatly appreciated!
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

Re: Steady Business???

Steady?

The only thing steady that has to do with business in my experience is problems. Solve bigger problems, earn more money. Otherwise its predictably unsteady and always seems to land at once. Trends shift and custom aint easy for many reasons. Many shops build one thing, and sell low buck to hold market and keep staff working during slow times. Stock shelves and sell during busy times etc. You could use Gew gull to find out what people in your area search for most that is related to your scope of work to help you narrow down what it is your market is asking for and maybe that will flag you something to work on?

Customer flow and steady are all but a fantasy of lefty thinkers in my experience theres only one true market and it is very unpredictable which is why the private sector literally needs to gross far more than public sector, just to survive, let alone thrive.

best

The only thing I could add is to make a finished product that you can build and market. The sales of that product will probably be cyclical but you could build them in your slower times to sell latter. I know of guy that sells a small 1" belt sander . He only make a specific number of them per year because he only builds them during the winter. When they are gone , they are gone. If someone wants one after they have sold he will take orders for next winter. He sells them on Ebay. I know he still makes and sells them but I have not seen him sell on ebay recently so he must be getting enough preorders that he just sells them off his web site.

Ever hear the saying " Feast or Famine " .......yeah that's 99% of all business's problems....... Seven year cycles , election year booms/busts.......If you could avoid these pitfalls or tell others how to ( correctly ) you'd make more money than you ,your children and grandchildren could ever spend...... good luck with that.....

OK. thanks for all the input. I've often thought of repeat fabrication of a product, say furniture tables but in research cannot compete with foreign market.
    The good news is that I've secured enough work in the past 2 weeks to keep my business working for the next few months. Maybe Trump....
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

In the busy time of year, try offering a small discount to larger jobs if they would put them off to your slower time, so now you will have more of a steady year then fast and furious for half a year and snooze the other half..

Personally I look forward to the slow times .