quick electrical question? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: quick electrical question?

Quote Originally Posted by dbstoo View Post

If I can put in a 50 amp circuit 2 feet from the breaker box in 60 minutes, an electrician should be able to do the same.

And most people think that's all they should have to pay for. They don't think about the time and money it takes to procure and stock inventory so it's always there on the truck, the time and money it takes to operate a business vehicle and drive it to and from the job. the time it takes to keep current on the ever changing codes, the time and money it takes for the book keeping, the money for the liability insurance and the contracting license, the cost of employees etc etc. That's why we have to have minimum charges or we might as well just go work for someone else.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

I think we lose sight of true "cost". Bigb makes some great points, the cost to run a business is different than a weekend warrior adding a circuit to his box. I encourage people learning and doing there own work. I also encourage businesses to not feel bad about making a living and having a good job. What I don't care for is people, nickle and dimming me. I don't care for management making huge profits of the backs of labourers. I don't care for large corporations lobbying for regulations that create monopolies and hurt small businesses! I digress.

Sent from my SCH-I535PP using Tapatalk
    Multimatic 215 with spoolmate 150 and tig kit.
    Everlast 250ex
    Harris Portable Oxy/acetylene kit
    Hypotherm pm60
    Rigid 300 threader
    Flat head screwdriver
    Linemen pliers

Go out to the garage, look things over, figure out all the parts ya need right down to the star washer, run into town to gather up all the materials, go back home and get all the right tools out and ready, install the receptacle test and clean up. That's not 60 minutes.

I don't know how an electrician (or plumber) could even make a living doing little one offs for the general public.

Just imagine,,,, instead of going to work tomorrow,,, drive around giving free advice to people who want little projects done. Tell 'em what parts they need & how it should be done. Hand shake and move on to the next.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Go out to the garage, look things over, figure out all the parts ya need right down to the star washer, run into town to gather up all the materials, go back home and get all the right tools out and ready, install the receptacle test and clean up. That's not 60 minutes.
    There are many ways to look at it. When I consulted for a living I charged enough to cover the 1 month out of 4 when I was not working. I expect an electrician to do the same. So I'll pay $100 an hour for skilled labor. I will pay the trip fee. What I will not pay is 4 hours labor for something he should be able to do in one.

As I tell my friends when they ask for my help; I only charge 1/4 union rates, but I work 10 times slower.
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

I might be best off just using extension cords from my dryer or hot water heater hookup at this rate. Looks like it's going to be a heck of a lot less expensive and less complicated and all I have to do is wait on delivery of the cord.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 09-03-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

It doesn't matter what a wire is rated 60°, 75° or 90° once you terminate in a 60° breaker/lug the entire system becomes 60° and that is the chart you have to use for the wire ampacity rating. If all components aren't the same temperature the lowest rated will be what prevails.

Since it is only going two feet and the welder has a duty cycle #10 as mentioned would suffice but since it is two feet use #6 and you will have what you need if you should eve need to upgrade. There is $3 cost difference most likely it a 6' piece you would need.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    I might be best off just using extension cords from my dryer or hot water heater hookup at this rate. Looks like it's going to be a heck of a lot less expensive and less complicated and all I have to do is wait on delivery of the cord.
    If your tying into the hot water heater you should be able to run a line and outlet off your panel. Post pictures and I can try and help. You might want a cord as well, but they are not cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I535PP using Tapatalk
    Multimatic 215 with spoolmate 150 and tig kit.
    Everlast 250ex
    Harris Portable Oxy/acetylene kit
    Hypotherm pm60
    Rigid 300 threader
    Flat head screwdriver
    Linemen pliers

There is never short electrical questions because that would be a short circuit!
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225 converted to AC/DC
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers Clamps and Grinders