Miller Challenger 172
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller Challenger 172

I picked up a Miller Challenger 172 MIG machine. I am new to the MIG process altogether but find that I like it.

I think this machine is fairly old but it looks as good as new, except the previous owner kept the gun lead wrapped too tightly and abused the gun. I was under the impression that it was a M-10 gun, however everything on this gun is different except for the tips. After visiting several LWS, I left realizing that I had the M-10A gun, put out by miller before the M-10 came along.

After seeing that I liked the machine, I bought a small fortune in consumables and two liners off of Ebay for an M-10 gun. I have not pulled the liner out of mine to see if the one I purchased would work, but at the LWS in their parts books, they were different p/n, so i am guessing the M-10 liners will not work. Now my question is, if I purchased a new M-10 gun, will it be plug-and-play with my machine? Also, what are the differences between the M-10 and the new M-100 guns?
    Miller Bobcat 225
    Miller Diversion 180 - sold searching for a Dynasty
    Hobart Tigmate
    Millermatic Challenger 172

Re: Miller Challenger 172

Hey gc,
    I have a Challenger 172......absolutely superb MIG unit & has never failed me thru some brutal production runs. I love mine.......best $175 I ever spent(used). Mine has the 10A gun which I believe was the standard gun assem. furnished. I also have a spare GA17C that I believe will also work...haven't tried it yet. I would suggest to get the 10A replacement if you want to replace it. Probably find one on E-Bay quite reasonable as I got the 17C there for $50 & it was new.

Denny
    Complete Welding/Machine/Fab. Shop
    Mobile Unit
    Finally retired

*Moderator*

"A man's word is his honor...without honor there is nothing."
    "Words are like bullets.... Once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
    Hey gc,
    I have a Challenger 172......absolutely superb MIG unit & has never failed me thru some brutal production runs. I love mine.......best $175 I ever spent(used). Mine has the 10A gun which I believe was the standard gun assem. furnished. I also have a spare GA17C that I believe will also work...haven't tried it yet. I would suggest to get the 10A replacement if you want to replace it. Probably find one on E-Bay quite reasonable as I got the 17C there for $50 & it was new.

Denny
    Well i did not get mine that cheaply, but not for off nonetheless. I have searched the internet and Miller's website and cannot find any parts for this 10A. Apart from looking through some old dealer parts books (2006 and older) at the LWS, I would not have even known I had an M-10A gun. They can order one for me, at the cost of a new M-10 gun, but that would render my M-10 parts useless, and leave me with an old gun that I have to special order from a miller dealer, parts for.
    Miller Bobcat 225
    Hobart Tigmate

The Challenger 172 came with a Piecemaker 10-A prior to serial KK118238 after that they came with an M-10.The M-10 has been replaced by the M-100.An M-100 would be a good replacement but it does use different nozzles than the M-10.
    If I was in your shoes I would look at a Bernard Q1510AO8BM.This a 150 amp 10' std handle fixed short neck Centerfire gun with a Miller back end......nice gun!

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    The Challenger 172 came with a Piecemaker 10-A prior to serial KK118238 after that they came with an M-10.The M-10 has been replaced by the M-100.An M-100 would be a good replacement but it does use different nozzles than the M-10.
    If I was in your shoes I would look at a Bernard Q1510AO8BM.This a 150 amp 10' std handle fixed short neck Centerfire gun with a Miller back end......nice gun!
    Thanks for more information than any Miller dealer or LWS has had to offer.

I am a newb to MIG, so I pretty much only know point, mash trigger, and lay beads. It looks good but when I move the lead while progressing my weld or if any spatter hits my tip I am done for, the wire kinks coming off the feed roller and there I am fixing it. It gets old. I can "feel" the wire being fed through the liner and it seems like I am getting a lot of feedback, so logically I am thinking liner, but I just can't find parts for this gun. I thought I was right in it being an M-10 and didn't have my machine handy, so I ordered everything I needed for the M-10, and got two of everything and 20 tips. So I guess I need to pony up and get an M-10.

As for the Bernard, I have heard they are good guns, but putting Bernard Q1510AO8BM in google yields little results, and weldfabulous is the only company that has them on the market for what I have searched anyway. Almost looks as though if I buy that gun, I will have a time finding parts for it in the long run.

Any more thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Greg
    Miller Bobcat 225
    Hobart Tigmate

"So I guess I need to pony up and get an M-10."
    The M-10 has been superceded by the M-100 so unless your lucky to find a new old stock one you'll have to settle for a used one.

I found this on Bernards website,
    http://www.bernardwelds.com/products...ator/step6.php

This comes up with a different part number than the catalog I looked in and it's a new catalog.....I think

The M10 and the M100 use the same consumable parts.
    either gun will replace the 10A gun.

Now I see why they call for different part numbers on the nozzles......one is copper and one is brass

I know on the Miller 130/130XP (Little brother of the 172) they had a smaller Miller bayonet gun back-end then the standard Miller units. The Little OXO guns sure were nice on the XP model.

Looks like the OXO handle is still available from Benard..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Arc 160 ts
    Tweco 211i
    Shopmate 300 / 74 DX feeder
    Lincoln LF-72
    Victor A-120

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

I went with the Bernards, actually Prostar gun, and I really like it. A definite upgrade well worth it. Good feel, thanks for the info all.
    Miller Bobcat 225
    Hobart Tigmate