New "Vulcan" welder line? - Page 13
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Re: New "Vulcan" welder line?

I don't have anything outside of oxy/actlyn. So for me a all in one package is appealing while I would most likely mig more than anything especially since I've never arc welded but want to play with it and practice and the same for tig. Also will be looking at plasma cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwillz28 View Post
    So what's the better deal the vulcan multi welder or the klutch 200dv???
    Did you see my post? The only thing that I did not realize is that the Vulcan can use a pedal with the Tig where the Klutch cannot (at least the older 220si that I own, cannot, perhaps the DV can?). To sum up what I had written, IMHO, it comes down to whether you are OK with sacrificing the spoolgun (that comes with the Klutch) for the auto-set features of the Vulcan. When you factor in the cost of adding the Tig torch to the Klutch vs. adding the spoolgun to the Vulcan, the "value" of the auto-set feature is approx. $100. (Klutch Tig Torch is $100, Vulcan Spoolgun is $200). When I bought my Klutch 220si, it was on sale for much less than the Vulcan's sale price (I believe $100 less), if the Klutch goes on sale around what I paid for mine, then I believe it is the better deal, and unless they have changed, it comes with a 3 year warranty.

Edit: I just checked Northern's website, still no pedal, but still has a 3 year warranty, for what its worth. Just checked, damn memory, the Klutch on sale was actually $250 less than the current price, I paid $530 for mine.
    Last edited by pprobus; 09-12-2017 at 08:33 AM.

I don't have anything outside of oxy/actlyn. So for me a all in one package is appealing while I would most likely mig more than anything especially since I've never arc welded but want to play with it and practice and the same for tig. Also will be looking at plasma cutters.
    whats your budget to spend on the welders and plasma?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    And it's just another reason that an "Omni" or "Multi" unit has no appeal, to me. I mean, like the Lincoln 210MP at around $1250, you still need to buy the optional adapter wiring and the pedal just to get DC TIG added to that MIG welder, and you still won't have high frequency TIG starts.

So, I generally think MIG and TIG units are best kept separate, except may with the inverter Miller Syncrowave 210 (with MIG via spoolgun) or the new Everlast 211STi (with normal MIG and AC/DC TIG).
    Wow, I didn't realize that... No HF start for the TIG side on the OmniPro 220... That's surprising.

1500-1600 total I know it's not much but hard to justify it to my wife

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well,

The only MIG "Multi" units that also have high frequency arc starts for DC TIG for the North American market are still only the Everlast units, which come with all the TIG accessories, including a foot pedal, too.

I mean, that Lincoln 210MP seems to be a nice MIG unit, but no TIG accessories are included and there's no HF starts, either, so it being a "multi" isn't much of a feature.

It's the same with the difference between the Millermatic 211 and the 215, i.e., the 215 is the "multi" you pay more and still get no TIG accessories or HF arc starts on DC TIG.

So, most MIG "multi" units don't impress me much. This Vulcan one is priced well, though.

But the non-"multi" 215 model is cheaper for full synergic MIG ability and would pair well with the digital Vulcan ProTIG 200 AC/DC, which does come with TIG torch, pedal, and HF arc starc for both DC and AC TIG.

So, those two units could probably be had, togather, for about $1500, and would represent a brilliant value to do all three processes very well, while also having a convenient support/return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble18 View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize that... No HF start for the TIG side on the OmniPro 220... That's surprising.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

Welding machines make money, no justification needed

...well, maybe not the Vulcan line, but most welding machines make money

*Disclaimer, I'm a Harbor Freight hater
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I'm just a enthusiast. I don't weld for a living, I run trains. Simply want these just for fun or as a toy to add to my many tools I've already accumulated.

Adjustable post flow is missing for all of the HF units.

No mention of post flow in any of the user manuals. I assume 1 sec/10a is what they're using, but I'd like to be in control of that.

And HF start circuits are basic componentry. No reason not to have HF starts on any recently designed machine.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrivenToMake; 09-12-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: I'm a double negative grammar doofus.

I'm just a enthusiast. I don't weld for a living, I run trains. Simply want these just for fun or as a toy to add to my many tools I've already accumulated.

No problem, buy it with a "shopping trip to be named later" for her
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

I like that idea dave gonna have to try pulling that one on here

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Welding machines make money, no justification needed

...well, maybe not the Vulcan line, but most welding machines make money

*Disclaimer, I'm a Harbor Freight hater
    From a hobby perspective, they save money.

Wife wanted a dog gate, $65 Amazon, cheesy construction.

Custom made to my exact application, $18 materials, less than $10 consumables, indestructible.

You either pay someone else, or buy tools.

Quote Originally Posted by DrivenToMake View Post
    From a hobby perspective, they save money.

Wife wanted a dog gate, $65 Amazon, cheesy construction.

Custom made to my exact application, $18 materials, less than $10 consumables, indestructible.

You either pay someone else, or buy tools.
    Excellent sales pitch

Don't forget to add that It'll keep you out of her way when she needs decompression space.
    Dave J.

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

any actually buy the new Vulcan HF welders ?? how good do they work ?? i do not care about pictures. how do they weld ?

its your money and decision, but do yourself a favor and buy quality so you can enjoy welding and not be frustrated with returning or fixing a new welder with short warranties and lesser welders for just a little less than a quality one...look at the big picture before buying...and if you buy quality and dont like welding..you can sell it and not lose everything...IMHO..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    its your money and decision, but do yourself a favor and buy quality so you can enjoy welding and not be frustrated with returning or fixing a new welder with short warranties and lesser welders for just a little less than a quality one...look at the big picture before buying...and if you buy quality and dont like welding..you can sell it and not lose everything...IMHO..
    is that like buying a Ford Fiesta cause you think its a quality brand ?? ........greatest day with our Fiesta is when we drove it to dealer to trade in for a Nissan with free 10 year warranty. the Ford Fiesta was making so much transmission noise we were not sure it make it to the dealers. then we were hoping dealer wouldnt notice the noises it makes. i still get class action lawsuit notices from lawyers wanting to sue Ford over a year later

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    is that like buying a Ford Fiesta cause you think its a quality brand ?? ........greatest day with our Fiesta is when we drove it to dealer to trade in for a Nissan with free 10 year warranty. the Ford Fiesta was making so much transmission noise we were not sure it make it to the dealers. then we were hoping dealer wouldnt notice the noises it makes. i still get class action lawsuit notices from lawyers wanting to sue Ford over a year later
    Ford Fiesta, was that the one that was considered or called "the world car"?

Quote Originally Posted by smawgmaw View Post
    Ford Fiesta, was that the one that was considered or called "the world car"?
    Lots of cars have been "World Cars". Basically, low cost, no features, sold the world over. The Beetle was probably the first true world car.

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    that all depends what you were driving before..LOL..but no.. so now tell me what welder has a 10 year free warranty and im in....lincoln and miller come close with 5 year warranty...a looong way from the normal 90 days you get at HF....the promotion on the vulcan is just a promotion for 1 year...it doesnt state what the real warranty is once that is over...just for your FYI..I dont like ford or dodge, was a chevy person..now toyota because I got the run around with a 2003 chevy silverado...so far after 5 + years with toyota I am still happy with quality and stand behind their product..but that can change...I also have good results with lincoln and hobart for welders and hypertherm for plasma.....
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 09-13-2017 at 12:59 PM.

so now tell me what welder has a 10 year free warranty and im in....lincoln and miller come close with 5 year warranty...a looong way from the normal 90 days you get at HF....the promotion on the vulcan is just a promotion for 1 year...it doesnt state what the real warranty is once that is over...
    Adding to this, you have to check the warranty terms too...

For example, with the Harbor Freight extended replacement plan, their warranty obligations are considered satisfied when the machine has been replaced or your original purchase price has been refunded. The extended warranty does NOT transfer to the replacement unit. So for example, if you buy a 2-year extended warranty, and your machine dies at four months, that's it, your extended warranty is done, and any failure of the replacement machine is on you. And if you paid extra for the 2-year vs 1-year plan, that extra you paid is effectively lost as well. It's not a "We'll keep you welding and fix any problems in the first year!" warranty, it's a "We'll handle your first problem" warranty.

Not all companies are like that - some have warranties where they'll cover the welder for the whole duration, no matter how many times it fails.

So you have to be careful when comparing multi-year warranties, as a "Year" does not always equal a "Year".

For example, with the Harbor Freight extended replacement plan, their warranty obligations are considered satisfied when the machine has been replaced or your original purchase price has been refunded. The extended warranty does NOT transfer to the replacement unit. So for example, if you buy a 2-year extended warranty, and your machine dies at four months, that's it, your extended warranty is done, and any failure of the replacement machine is on you. And if you paid extra for the 2-year vs 1-year plan, that extra you paid is effectively lost as well. It's not a "We'll keep you welding and fix any problems in the first year!" warranty, it's a "We'll handle your first problem" warranty.

Not all companies are like that - some have warranties where they'll cover the welder for the whole duration, no matter how many times it fails.

So you have to be careful when comparing multi-year warranties, as a "Year" does not always equal a "Year".
    This is so true especially when it comes to HF! Everyone needs to actually read the fine print.

just one more reason to buy name brand................but to be fair, the old HF welders for a few hundred are worth the risk if you arent sure welding will be your thing, its chump change if its a total loss, but now you are talking much bigger investment with the vulcan line and again there is no history on how long they will last or weld, but it seems the more you dig into the details the worse it keeps sounding..IMHO..
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 09-13-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Yes, but the original year is "your money back". The extended warranty is an additional 2 years, 3 total.

I agree on the rest of what you wrote. Though I still need to do my own research on the exact warranty terms.

It's going to take 2-3 years to see how the whole thing plays out.

Caveat emptor, do the research on the warranty. HF also needs a bit of foresight on this. If they have machines failing and replacement machines also failing within 3-4 year timespans, they have a much bigger problem than warranty terms.

At these prices, user expectations I think are reasonable at 10 years hobby use, 4-5 very light production on average.

Quote Originally Posted by DrivenToMake View Post
    Yes, but the original year is "your money back". The extended warranty is an additional 2 years, 3 total.

I agree on the rest of what you wrote. Though I still need to do my own research on the exact warranty terms.

It's going to take 2-3 years to see how the whole thing plays out.

Caveat emptor, do the research on the warranty. HF also needs a bit of foresight on this. If they have machines failing and replacement machines also failing within 3-4 year timespans, they have a much bigger problem than warranty terms.

At these prices, user expectations I think are reasonable at 10 years hobby use, 4-5 very light production on average.

has anyone gotten a true price for the extended warranty on the vulcan series?

Yeah,

And I'm curious, whatever the price, if the two additional years have the same 100% satisfaction guarantee/full-refund policy as the first year does (though without the additional cost).

Presumable it would.

So, a 3-year, 100% satisfaction guarantee/full-refund policy would be a somewhat tempting industy first, I think.

Good job, Harbor Freight!

has anyone gotten a true price for the extended warranty on the vulcan series?
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 09-13-2017 at 02:01 PM.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma