New "Vulcan" welder line? - Page 27
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Re: New "Vulcan" welder line?

Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    Pricing is getting up there though, I just wonder about the value equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I look HF as starter/low end line
    When I look at HF Vulan the price today not a low end starter price
    The hard part to wrap our heads around is that "Harbor Freight" used to simply be synonymous with Chicago Electric. But they have two distinct welder lines now- Chicago Electric as the bargain low-end brand, and Vulcan aspiring to be at least a mid-tier professional brand.

I think the value equation is there. The simple and easy exchange-based warranty is extremely customer-friendly. No shipping, no real paperwork, and if you have a local store, you're in and out in minutes and back to work. It's just like how Craftsman tools used to work when Sears was doing well.

What doesn't make any sense to me though, and I said this a few months ago too, is that some Chicago Electric welder models were dropped, and not back filled by anything new. So for example, three months ago, a starter TIG machine from Harbor Freight was $170. Now, the bottom end is $399. So "Harbor Freight" no longer has a budget TIG. It's strange...

I wonder if the no-name Chinese TIG's on Ebay have edged out HF's market for the low end - ?
    HF Mig 180 with all the mods
    Grizzly H8153 Inverter Tig,Stick
    Wards Powr-Kraft AC 230. Stick,Carbon Arc

Strange indeed.
    HH140 Various and sundry grinders and such.
    Former QA/Lab Tech, Engineering Tech, Fab Tech, or whatever tech needed at any given time.-
    Now full time retard.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    I wonder if the no-name Chinese TIG's on Ebay have edged out HF's market for the low end - ?
    At Fab-Tech there were Chinese 130 amp IGBT DC Tig Stick 115/230v machines with no tig torch and the + & - were studs. No Dinse. Bare bones with 10ga primary. $60.00. Good looking modern cases too.
    Tig/Stick will be in that range with torch soon.

I may end up with the protig. But right now I'm still in the process of trying to find someone to work out all the bugs in my airco. It is a huge machine, but the guy that gave it to my dad was a welder by trade and raved about the Tig function of it. He has multiple inverter tigs but said they never held a candle to the airco, but an 800lb machine is difficult to continue moving around the shop at 73 years young.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Yikes
    Former QA/Lab Tech, Engineering Tech, Fab Tech, or whatever tech needed at any given time.-
    Now full time retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    At Fab-Tech there were Chinese 130 amp IGBT DC Tig Stick 115/230v machines with no tig torch and the + & - were studs. No Dinse. Bare bones with 10ga primary. $60.00. Good looking modern cases too.
    Tig/Stick will be in that range with torch soon.
    How is that even possible?
    Now full time retard.

Honestly, you can easily weld with 2 good batteries, and it comes out pretty decent depending on what you are welding. So there is not much to a cheap basic stick welder. Electricity in, amperage adjustment, voltage out to electrode holder.

I know there is more than that, but that's what it boils down to for barebones welders.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Most of the magic for a TIG welder is integrated circuits on a chip and high-current transistors inside, and these don't cost much when ordered by the millions. That and China doesn't have patent law like here so copying another welder is no big deal - so there will be massive duplication of identical inexpensive parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jerje View Post
    I hate to tell everyone this (most of you know it even if you won't admit it) but china manufacturing is doing the same thing Japanese, then Taiwanese, then South Korean, etc. has done - better and better and better. When I was in grade school (50s) all you ever saw from Japan was the little tin car toys and then fifteen years later Toyota/Datsun/Honda cars were causing big time heart burn in Detroit and they had run the British motorcycle people out of business altogether. It was a hard decision for me to buy the red machines at twice the price even though and especially because I'm not a pro shop/professional welder.
    Since you brought it up I will have to say that I have felt a sense of deja vu, I remember well how the Japanese illegally sold their motorcycles under cost in the states, literally flooding the market with them and then gouged much of the rest of the world so they could do it. They also had a nasty habit of ceasing production of spare parts for models that had been dropped or updated. Junk yards across the country have perfectly servicable machines just rotting away for lack of simple parts. I think this is what the Chinese companies are doing right now, flush with government subsidies and low payroll overhead they will drive other companies out of business.

Most of the magic for a TIG welder is integrated circuits on a chip and high-current transistors inside, and these don't cost much when ordered by the millions. That and China doesn't have patent law like here so copying another welder is no big deal - so there will be massive duplication of identical inexpensive parts.
    Holy crap. Of course, by the time these fail- it's on to the next one, so toss it and don't even think about parts or service.
    Now full time retard.

Holy crap. Of course, by the time these fail- it's on to the next one, so toss it and don't even think about parts or service.
    Yep. How many people send in a flat panel TV for repair after its out of warranty? A DSL router? I doubt very many.

The ProTig has a menu to set as opposed to knobs. I like to see my settings without scrolling through a menu.

Yep. How many people send in a flat panel TV for repair after its out of warranty? A DSL router? I doubt very many.
    Yes I agreed
    Almost Anything with IC has short life

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbendlathe9/
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbendmanual/

Amazon books that may help
    Machinist Handbook
    Machinist Guide
    Single To Three Phase Simplified