New "Vulcan" welder line? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: New "Vulcan" welder line?

Quote Originally Posted by KMA View Post
    Looks like there was a product page but it was removed. Here is a cached copy in case anyone is interested:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...put-63616.html

Here is the user manual and quick start guide:

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...3999/63616.pdf
    Thanks! I was pretty sure Google Search brought up a photo like in your link. Then I never saw it again.

Vulcan 6011 and 7018 works ok and $5 for 2lbs and do not take 20% coupon
    says made in China so possibly they just have it packaged in HF labeled plastic tubes like Sears Craftsman, who actually makes stuff can change year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    Vulcan 6011 and 7018 works ok and $5 for 2lbs and do not take 20% coupon
    says made in China so possibly they just have it packaged in HF labeled plastic tubes like Sears Craftsman, who actually makes stuff can change year to year.
    Most likely, the Vulcan brand flux core wire is made in Italy, the mig wire is made in China. The flux core wire is the same price as the Lincoln FC wire at Lowes
    Millermatic 251
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
    Lincoln SP 125 Plus
    Harris O/A

They are going to have an uphill battle to get these new brands considered equal to traditional brands even if the equipment is finally competitive. But I think HF will, more and more, move in to fill the role Craftsman held for a century but now is losing.

Stuff from China can be built to any quality specification required by the importer. If HF can persuade its customers that these new brands equal/exceed familiar brands, they have a real opportunity to become a major brand.

Us old guys will say 'never!' but the next generation may look at the new competitive stuff and say 'why not?'

===
    Added:
    I remember when Honda motorcycles first came to the US. The 305 cc 'Dream' and the 250 Scrambler looked unfamiliar to traditional motorcycle owners and the uneven-firing engine seemed like it would never work. (BSA, Triumph etc had both pistons on the same crank throw and big counterweights, Honda was a 180 degree crank for better balance and higher rpm). But Honda was marketing to youth who were willing to try something new. Honda rapidly expanded market share from zero to a major player. HF could do the same if they can convince the public they are selling quality finally.
    Last edited by California; 08-06-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    They are going to have an uphill battle to get these new brands considered equal to traditional brands even if the equipment is finally competitive. But I think HF will, more and more, move in to fill the role Craftsman held for a century but now is losing.

Stuff from China can be built to any quality specification required by the importer. If HF can persuade its customers that these new brands equal/exceed familiar brands, they have a real opportunity to become a major brand.

Us old guys will say 'never!' but the next generation may look at the new competitive stuff and say 'why not?'
    HF has always had the cheap brands and the more expensive and higher quality stuff which sometimes called pro version.
    Sear Craftsman lifetime warranty lately been lifetime warranty for non professional use. i knew a carpenter would buy a $40 circular saw and use til it stopped working and bring it back for another. he did many times til they changed warranty.
    obviously like $5 socket set compared to $20 compared to $50 socket set you got different quality. like old Sears lawn mower the Silver, Gold, and Platinum level lawn mowers. the Gold lawn mower was a much better lawn mover than Silver
    customers often alternate between cheap and a little better and more expensive stuff. and some customers are very much the coupon or on sale type of buyer

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    looks decent but still $500 for harbor freight quality and they only come with a 90 day warranty......oh the vipermig180 is 180amps, dual voltage and has a 1 year warranty and shipped to your door for the same price....
    Says 1 year warranty for the Vulcan and it'll be cheaper than $500 when they actually release it with coupons/discounts.

Plus, I don't think anyone here is actually considering buying it, we're just talking about it right now...
    HTP Pro Pulse 200
    Lincoln AC-225

Quote Originally Posted by robin811 View Post
    wow why would anyone buy that at $500 when you can get an Everlast power-i-mig-140e for $399 or an AHP Alpha Mig 140 for $363 at HD? The Vulcan may or may not be as good as either one of these, but it's a tough sell to introduce a new brand to the market at price that is 20-25% higher than the established competition. I see that the introductory date on the archived page is Aug 15, maybe they pulled that page because they figured outy they were too high and it will come back cheaper in a week and a half. I"m not in the market, but if I was, I wouldn't even consider it above $300.
    Better yet, why would anyone drop $499.99 on an unproven welder when the Hobart Handler 140 and the Lincoln PowerMig 140 are also $499.99 each? I don't know about you, but my hard earned cash is staying on a proven welder like the Lincoln.
    Learning to weld, one arc at a time.

Not sure which models you were referring to as unproven... but the "real" price for the Vulcan 140 almost certainly will not be $500. The point others were making is that its competition is the other "internet" brands.
    Last edited by KMA; 08-06-2017 at 07:17 PM.
    Everlast PowerMTS 211Si

Quote Originally Posted by KMA View Post
    Not sure which models you were referring to as unproven... but the "real" price for the Vulcan 140 almost certainly will not be $500. The point others were making is that its competition is the other "internet" brands.
    I was talking about the Vulcan. I really don't have anything against Harbor Freight but It seems like it will have a hard time competing with Everlast and others which sell for less.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreTex View Post
    Better yet, why would anyone drop $499.99 on an unproven welder when the Hobart Handler 140 and the Lincoln PowerMig 140 are also $499.99 each? I don't know about you, but my hard earned cash is staying on a proven welder like the Lincoln.
    many modern welders get a more modern update and are made in batches. HF welders currently sold like Tig Stick welders some are actually pretty good.
    i got the $180 Tig stick welder and it works good. a few years ago it was $200 and 130 amps max and then got a more modern update to 145 amps stick 160 amps tig. when i saw newer model was 145 amps max i immediately bought it. i have had it 20 months and glad i did.
    if they sold a improved welder with more or better features i would buy the newer model. maybe smaller and lighter. or more amp capacity with same size and weight

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    many modern welders get a more modern update and are made in batches. HF welders currently sold like Tig Stick welders some are actually pretty good.
    i got the $180 Tig stick welder and it works good. a few years ago it was $200 and 130 amps max and then got a more modern update to 145 amps stick 160 amps tig. when i saw newer model was 145 amps max i immediately bought it. i have had it 20 months and glad i did.
    if they sold a improved welder with more or better features i would buy the newer model. maybe smaller and lighter. or more amp capacity with same size and weight
    So you like the little stick welder? Wonder how it compares to the Everlast, Longevity, and/or the Northern tools welders. Slightly off topic, but just wondering. Thinking about getting one.

So you like the little stick welder? Wonder how it compares to the Everlast, Longevity, and/or the Northern tools welders. Slightly off topic, but just wondering. Thinking about getting one.
    i sold my Lincoln ideal arc and Miller synchrowave Tig Stick welders. Miller Maxstar was small but i had it fail 2 times and 2nd times it was over 3 year warranty period and minimum $150 to fix same problem that happened less than 2 years earlier
    HF Tig stick welder $200 (bought 20 months ago) works good for me 20 months later. smaller and lighter so for me a better machine. i also got a 130 amp Norweld welder small but heavy. really newer welders are smaller, lighter, better usually
    for me i wanted small light weight easy to carry one handed and use anywhere on a 10 ga 50 foot extension cord welding machine. most times 145 amps stick welding is plenty. not like i am building battle ships. small welding machine i have on a HF $100 tool box cart where bottom of cart is open, plenty of room for small welding machine, welding rod and tools and 50 foot extension cord hanging on the side

Thanks for the reply.

I can see it if you get more capacity and accessories for the money. While not entirely an "unproven" welder (it had been out a couple of years before I bought it and most of the reviews on it that I could find were positive) {Add: I should say, that long term reliability is still unproven, however, initially the welders work out of the box and, based on my use and other folks' reviews, work well in the the first couple of years}, I dropped roughly $560 (after the sale price plus $20 off of $100 purchase coupon) on the Klutch 220i which has more capacity than either welder you mentioned for only a little more money, and that's if you only look at it as a Mig only unit, add to that you get a spool gun and stick capability and for the price its a bargain for the amateur weldor starting out, even if it is not as reliable as the Hobart or Lincoln. If HF does come out with a new line of welders (and based on what they have been doing, I would not be surprised) I would not be surprised to hear people taking a chance on a new, unproven brand if they offer something similar to the 220i for or in the range of $500. The only drawback of the potentially new HF over the existing Klutch would be the 1 year warranty, vs. the 3 yr. for the Klutch, but outside of that, I can easily see people taking a chance on saving even $50 over the Klutch, assuming HF can offer a similarly outfitted and rated capacity welder.
    Last edited by pprobus; 08-10-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pprobus View Post
    I can see it if you get more capacity and accessories for the money. While not entirely an "unproven" welder (it had been out a couple of years before I bought it and most of the reviews on it that I could find were positive) {Add: I should say, that long term reliability is still unproven, however, initially the welders work out of the box and, based on my use and other folks' reviews, work well in the the first couple of years}, I dropped roughly $560 (after the sale price plus $20 off of $100 purchase coupon) on the Klutch 220i which has more capacity than either welder you mentioned for only a little more money, and that's if you only look at it as a Mig only unit, add to that you get a spool gun and stick capability and for the price its a bargain for the amateur weldor starting out, even if it is not as reliable as the Hobart or Lincoln. If HF does come out with a new line of welders (and based on what they have been doing, I would not be surprised) I would not be surprised to hear people taking a chance on a new, unproven brand if they offer something similar to the 220i for or in the range of $500. The only drawback of the potentially new HF over the existing Klutch would be the 1 year warranty, vs. the 3 yr. for the Klutch, but outside of that, I can easily see people taking a chance on saving even $50 over the Klutch, assuming HF can offer a similarly outfitted and rated capacity welder.
    All pretty much right on.. I had a Mint Lincoln HD 140 that I took part trade in a motorcycle deal. I put it through it's paces, and it welded decent.. Way down in Power from the Klutch 140si I have.. Bought the 140si Reman for $250.00 from Northern tool.. The one area the Lincoln is superior, is in Resale Value. Sold it in a hour for $350.00 Cold not see owning a weak/super heavy 120 volt mig, when the Klutch is 10 times the machine for less money..The Lincoln HD has not lived up to the toughness of the older SP machines.. Not even close.....
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Klutch 220si
    Klutch 140si
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40
    Victor 82 (A-60)
    Hypertherm 45XP

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

german welding company talked about 4th generation inverter welders. just saying they are making technology improvements to welding machines. i am not sure what is difference in 3rd, 4th, 5th generation inverter welding machines
    16 lb welding machine that puts out 210 amps aint bad. many companies rent welding equipment and rent cost even at $5/day or $150/month many of these new little inverters would pay for themselves in 90 days. if used hard and often and it lasts 90 days quite often it will last longer just like many computers last a lot longer than the 90 day warranty that many stores only offer unless you buy a extended warranty.
    i got a little HF inverter on bottom part of my welding tool box cart. dont take much space and very easy to grab and carry to back yard. never bother with longer welding cables. 50 foot extension cord puts machine and amp knob always close to work. long gone are the days of over 200 feet of heavy expensive welding cable to reach a roof job. little inverter can be tied to structural steel 50 feet up just about any where. amp knob close by makes them 100x better in my experience

They are going to have an uphill battle to get these new brands considered equal to traditional brands even if the equipment is finally competitive.
    They might not even have to. It's entirely possible HF could be successful with these even if the new brands never do reach an equal status. In the retail world it costs a lot to be #1... intentionally slotting in as a second-tier product makes it much easier to be profitable.

Another way to think about it- does anyone actively seek out the Chicago Electric brand? Or did they just go to their local Harbor Freight for a cheap grinder, and that's what it happened to be? Would anyone have skipped the grinder if the brand was something different?

Online shopping and internet reviews are huge... but to many folks, there is still quite a bit of value in being able to see/touch/hold/examine a product before purchase, and to buy it on the spot and get the projects started if they like it. This new line might technically have Everlast and others as its competition, but for many in the target market, Everlast might have never even been on their radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble18 View Post
    It's entirely possible HF could be successful with these even if the new brands never do reach an equal status. In the retail world it costs a lot to be #1... intentionally slotting in as a second-tier product makes it much easier to be profitable.... This new line might technically have Everlast and others as its competition, but for many in the target market, Everlast might have never even been on their radar.
    True, now that I think about it.

I'm in HF at least once a month. When I decide I finally need a welder for a specific project, it is natural to look for online discussion and reviews (right here) about the welders I've been walking past for years.

I'm not a welder by trade so Everlast is an abstraction to me, something incidental that somebody might have mentioned but I don't know where to see one in use or read reviews. And the Hobarts I see at Tractor Supply, similar at Lowe's etc, are obvious 'box store' versions not comparable to pro gear and likely made in the same Chinese shops as HF's stuff. So for a certain customer, and I represent that demographic, (need a welder for occasional farm repairs) whatever HF is selling deserves at least inclusion in any comparison shopping. (Here's an old post showing my typical farm repair weld project).

I think these new inverter welders are going to look pretty good to the customer who is making comparisons at specific price points. (and price is his most important criterion).

This is a completely different customer than the welding shop owner who buys quality equipment for his employees to use daily. For that application his experience with durability and service availability, and of course his experience with the quality of work attainable with a brand he is familiar with, are considerations much more important than purchase price. He and the retail customer are two different worlds. I think HF will do well in the retail world.

True, now that I think about it.

I'm in HF at least once a month. When I decide I finally need a welder for a specific project, it is natural to look for online discussion and reviews (right here) about the welders I've been walking past for years.

I'm not a welder by trade so Everlast is an abstraction to me, something incidental that somebody might have mentioned but I don't know where to see one in use or read reviews. And the Hobarts I see at Tractor Supply, similar at Lowe's etc, are obvious 'box store' versions not comparable to pro gear and likely made in the same Chinese shops as HF's stuff. So for a certain customer, and I represent that demographic, (need a welder for occasional farm repairs) whatever HF is selling deserves at least inclusion in any comparison shopping. (Here's an old post showing my typical farm repair weld project).

I think these new inverter welders are going to look pretty good to the customer who is making comparisons at specific price points. (and price is his most important criterion).

This is a completely different customer than the welding shop owner who buys quality equipment for his employees to use daily. For that application his experience with durability and service availability, and of course his experience with the quality of work attainable with a brand he is familiar with, are considerations much more important than purchase price. He and the retail customer are two different worlds. I think HF will do well in the retail world.
    plenty of professionals buy Chicago Electric tools and buy the HF welders. i had a boss who always bought HF and if he needed a replacement tool in a year or 2 he still figured it was better as he got a new tool or welder every few years rather than worry about things like calibration and maintenance and repair costs
    actually many professional rent equipment as needed and i have often seen where rental costs were far higher than buying HF. vast majority of HF stuff i had no problems using professionally. if it lasts past 90 day warranty often its still cheaper than renting
    big difference in some salesman posting how all the superior welders use only the most expensive equipment he just happens to sell. in real world i usually used the oldest and worst equipment professionally. boss is always cheap about buying equipment and usually delays buying stuff for as long as possible. about 35 years ago i stopped listening to salesman hype about got to buy their better stuff to do real work. i get buy just fine with HF stuff and WW2 era equipment. works always ok for me.

I'm not sure if there is any new info in it, but I came across a parallel thread on these welders over at the Garage Journal forum.

"New Harbor Freight Welders"
    https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=367395