Bill Gacia, retired
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Bill Gacia, retired

I have a lincoln weldandpower code 9108 that I have been using as a welder and power plant for the last 20 years. It has been trouble free till 2 days ago, I was welding a lift gate and the arc got very weak, I measured the voltage at the 115 plug and it measured 78.6 volts a/cand the voltage at the 220 plug measured 160.3 volts. I removed the brushes and they are free and nearly new, the slip discs are clean and not damaged, one of the positive wires going to the voltage regulator is pretty well burned up, but still delivers voltage to the battery regulator. Can you help me to trouble shoot this great machine?
    Thanking you in advance
    Bill.

Re: Bill Gacia, retired

Welcome to the forum Bill.

You may be dealing with two separate issues - 1) low weld/auxiliary power output and 2) battery charging circuit.

Common to the weld and auxiliary power output is field voltage so I'd be looking in that direction and in particular starting with the field rectifier D2. I'd also check the 200MFD field voltage filter capacitors for a bad one (leaking or obvious damage such as corrosion or bulging case).

As for the burned positive wire in the battery charging circuit, can you identify exactly which one it is?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Bill, welcome to the forum.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

Welcome and good luck

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Bill.

You may be dealing with two separate issues - 1) low weld/auxiliary power output and 2) battery charging circuit.

Common to the weld and auxiliary power output is field voltage so I'd be looking in that direction and in particular starting with the field rectifier D2. I'd also check the 200MFD field voltage filter capacitors for a bad one (leaking or obvious damage such as corrosion or bulging case).

As for the burned positive wire in the battery charging circuit, can you identify exactly which one it is?
    Thank you for your quick reply:
    The wire that had been overheated was from the voltage regulator to the amp gauge, it had toasted the insulation but was still working, I replaced the wire last night and started the welder and it is charging at this time, although I think the regulator is not limiting the amount of charge as the amp gauge was all the way to maximum charge. I don't know where the field rectifier is but I will look for it and the filter capacitor, is there a way to test these guys?
    TNX Bill

I figured that was the wire that fried. Have you tested to see what the charge voltage is? The high charge rate could be due to battery condition.

As for locating the field rectifier, start at the brushes and follow the leads back from there to the rectifier. It's about an 1-1/4" square and 1/4" thick with 4 male quick disconnect terminals.

Here's the procedure for testing it:
    Bridge Rectifier Testing.pdf

As for the capacitors, you'd need a capacitor tester for a proper complete test but you can tell if one is shorted with just a volt/ohm meter and to see if they charge and discharge. You can also just disconnect them from the circuit and see if the OCV (no load Open Circuit Voltage) returns to the proper value. You shouldn't operate the unit under load as voltage will fluctuate without the caps in the circuit.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Hi Duane;
    I tested the rectifier as per instructions, and it checks out perfect. The Battery is being over charged a bit, at rest it measures 12.7 Volts, as the engine is started it goes to 17.3 Volts. The battery tests good, I think I may need a new regulator? What do think?
    I only tested capacitors in high school, 1960 so all I can remember is that we would connect an Ohm meter to the leaks and the meter would jerk up a bi, then we would reverse the leads and the same thing would happen, after all these years it is vague to me. Will I need to disconnect the cap from its wires to test it, and are there 2 of them? I have a pretty good meter but I don't think it is made to check capacitors.
    TNX again Bill

Hi Duane;
    I just went out to look at the welder and noticed that thick electrical cable had burned its insulation and fused itself to on of the output large diodes. What do you advice
    Last edited by Bill Garcia; 07-30-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Name:  IMG_20170730_175125.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  65.3 KB

Since I am new to this forum, I'm wondering if I have done something wrong, as I have not had a reply to my problem with my welder? Did I offend someone? I'm hoping duaneb55 is in good health. If someone could direct me I would appreciate it.
    TNX again
    Bill

duaned55 will be around sooner or later. He is probably busy with life. in regard to your pick it looks like vibration has worn the insulation off the wire and allowed it to short to the diode. I would check the diode to see that it is still good , if it is then just replace the wire and make sure it can not vibrate against the diode again. A diode is basically a one way valve for electricity. To check it just take it out of the circuit and do a resistance check in both directions if you get a low resistance reading in both directions it is bad.

Thank you so much. I have taken the wires off the diodes and tested them with an ohm meter and they test with continuity in one direction and no continuity if I switch the leads on the meter. I really don't know what else to check, thank you for your interest.
    Bill

Have you tried the welder since you found/fixed the shorted wire?

yes I did and the voltages at the receptacles did not change, both low.

thankyou for your interest. I'm wondering I have read in some web sites that sometimes it is necessary to flash the machine ? any ideas.?
    Bill

Bill, you certainly haven't done anything wrong or to offend me - or anyone else IMO. And thank you for your concern regarding my well being but as for me, thegary hit the nail on the head in that I've been rather busy and have just missed your thread.

Which specific lead shorted against that diode?

Yes, the battery charging board needs attention.
    No, the unit doesn't need flashing.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Bill, you certainly haven't done anything wrong or to offend me - or anyone else IMO. And thank you for your concern regarding my well being but as for me, thegary hit the nail on the head in that I've been rather busy and have just missed your thread.

Which specific lead shorted against that diode?

Yes, the battery charging board needs attention.
    No, the unit doesn't need flashing.
    First of all I want to express my appreciation for the help I am getting on this forum.
    Am I wrong or is there a voltage regulator for the charging system with 3 wires?
    where is the charging board and how can I test it?
    I am sending you copies of where the wire shorted, and hope we can nail it down to a probable defect, thanking you again
    BillName:  lincoln diagram 9108.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  160.5 KBName:  Lincoln  9108.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  62.0 KB

Well there is a weld God! The Great machine is well and welding again. First I want to thank all who took an interest in my problem. When I posted the first time Duane answered and suggested that I check the field rectifier, which i did, and it checked good. But dumb me I mixed up the wires, then I discovered the shorted wire at the output diode board, which I repaired, then I tested the welder and it didn't work, after much thought I went back to the field rectifier to double check on the position of the wires, that is when I found them mixed up, reinstalled in he correct position and with the short no longer present the great machine did it's job.
    Thank you all, I have been a diesel mechanic for 50 years and had a full service shop with 23 mechanics, anyway I can help let me Know.
    Bill

Hope you stick around, we can always use a diesel mechanic! Do you know Powerstrokes very well?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Yes you need to change the oil and filter on a schedule

Hi Bill.
    Glad it all worked out.

There is a reason why Duane is the site leader and you got to see why right off the bat.

Welcome to the site.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Im new here, but know a lot about electricity.
    When you say you measured the 220v source at 160? Was the welder hooked up? Was your source power only 160 when it should have beern 208 or 220?