Hypertherm 65 CNC Capability-Jim Colt Question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hypertherm 65 CNC Capability-Jim Colt Question

Question for Jim Colt:
    I have a Thermodynamics Pak Master 75 XL plasma torch. I bought it new. It has only had light use in my home workshop. I’ve never had a problem with it.
    My boss wants to buy a plasma torch so I’m going to sell him mine and I’ll buy a new Hypertherm Powermax 65. I have two questions: first, what is my torch worth? It is probably 15 years old.

Second, I’m confused about the CNC options listed for the Hypertherm 65. I want to use a hand torch at first, but later I hope to get a CNC plasma table. The 65 with a code 083275 has a CPC port. 083303 (machine torch) has a CPC port and a serial port. Do I need both a CPC port and a serial port to use the 65 in a CNC plasma table? The Hypertherm sales brochures don’t show being able to get both with a hand held torch. My local welding supply says I just need the 083275 with CPC port. Is there a machine code number that will give me both with a hand held torch if I need both? Also, do I need a remote pendant for CNC use like a 083300?
    Thanks,
    Lewis Herring
    Ft Worth, TX

Re: Hypertherm 65 CNC Capability-Jim Colt Question

Don't need the remote.. Depending on the plasma table you buy will decide is you run the serial port or CPC. Most run the CPC setup. I would buy it that way, and add the Serial later if needed.

Pakmaster would sell pretty easy for $800.00. Might get a bit more with the right buyer. I sold my friend a Perfect 151 with a hand, and machine torch for $1000.00 plus a bunch of consumables.. Yes it was a deal, but i know $$$$ can be all over the board as to where you live..Took forever to sell my mint Hypertherm 65 that was 5 momths old. CPC, and hand torch went for $1800.. That is why i base the 15 year old pakmaster at where I did.. Not to be smart, just know my market..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Klutch 220si
    Klutch 140si
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40
    Victor 82 (A-60)
    Hypertherm 45XP

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by 1210lewis View Post
    Question for Jim Colt:
    I have a Thermodynamics Pak Master 75 XL plasma torch. I bought it new. It has only had light use in my home workshop. I’ve never had a problem with it.
    My boss wants to buy a plasma torch so I’m going to sell him mine and I’ll buy a new Hypertherm Powermax 65. I have two questions: first, what is my torch worth? It is probably 15 years old.

Second, I’m confused about the CNC options listed for the Hypertherm 65. I want to use a hand torch at first, but later I hope to get a CNC plasma table. The 65 with a code 083275 has a CPC port. 083303 (machine torch) has a CPC port and a serial port. Do I need both a CPC port and a serial port to use the 65 in a CNC plasma table? The Hypertherm sales brochures don’t show being able to get both with a hand held torch. My local welding supply says I just need the 083275 with CPC port. Is there a machine code number that will give me both with a hand held torch if I need both? Also, do I need a remote pendant for CNC use like a 083300?
    Thanks,
    Lewis Herring
    Ft Worth, TX
    All CNC machines that are using a machine torch (no trigger switch on the torch) will require a CPC port. There are a few machines out there (that use some of the newest cnc controls from CandCNC.com or Flashcut) need the serial port (auto sets amperage, air pressure, mode switch and reads diagnostic codes at the cnc control). You can add the serial port at any time as it is an easy field install (part number 228539).

You do not need the start pendant for a CNC machine, it is used for machines like track burners or pipe cutters that do mechanized cutting but not computer controlled (cnc) cutting. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Thanks for the good info.
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 1210lewis View Post
    Thanks for the good info.
    Lewis
    I have a new hand pendant I would sell for 1/2 price. Fits the standard CNC output.

Buy it from weldersupply.com, cheapest place plus free shipping. Get the model that comes with both torches.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Buy it from weldersupply.com, cheapest place plus free shipping. Get the model that comes with both torches.
    Get the kit with both torches and the 85. The additional price for the 85 will make up in increased IPM and production speed on the CNC. Time is money! Unless you have 3 phase and then go 110 or 125.