Smashed thumb
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Smashed thumb

Smashed thumb

I smashed my thumb fairly severly 3 weeks ago. iwent to the doc after about a week when it started to get infected I wanted the nail taken off but he told me the thumb was broken and to leave the nail on to keep everything as strait as pssible. anyway the nail finally came off and it looks like after my thumb broke it got squirted forward and that thumb is about an eigth to a 3/16s longer past the joint than the other one but the thing that is worring me I cant see new nail coming in new nail bed but no nail. How long does it take for new nail to be showing? Its been 10 years sense I Lost one and that was a basic bam nothing there
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by idacal; 08-04-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Re: Smashed thumb

Best guess is 1/8 to 1/4" a month growth

I mashed a big toe right on the nail bed. Nail finally fell off and it's been over 1 1/2 years and the nail is grown out about 1/2 way.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Hobart G-213
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

I had one of those radiator spring style clamps slip out of the pliers and it slapped my thumb nail at the base on one side..
    The dr told me that if the nail bed was damaged, growth will be slower...i kinda thought BS..
    3 weeks later i had a hole at the base of my thumb nail.. didnt think much of it because it had already bled out when the clamp cracked the nail..
    When the injury healed, the nail grew sideways for about a year where one side was growing better than the other side.
    It finally straighten up but still these days, it grows slower than the other thumb nail.

I've smooshed one or more of each of my fingernails, and they all seem to take 6 months to grow completely back out. So much so that I can pretty much go forward in my calendar by 6 mos from the day it happened and mark the date; that will be the date I'll be clipping it normally again.

They don't always grow back in correctly; both of my index fingernails are a little odd in the way they attach to the damaged nail bed, with the left one being considerably worse; it's only actually attached to about half of the nail bed. Pretty sure I broke the tip of that finger when I smashed it, but I never went to the hospital for it.

I've smooshed several with a hammer or prybar, run one between a belt and pulley, shattered / split one with a handsaw, and on that left index finger, smooshed it between a 10 lb and a 4 lb hammer - try that one out if you're looking for fun.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    I've smooshed one or more of each of my fingernails, and they all seem to take 6 months to grow completely back out. So much so that I can pretty much go forward in my calendar by 6 mos from the day it happened and mark the date; that will be the date I'll be clipping it normally again.

They don't always grow back in correctly; both of my index fingernails are a little odd in the way they attach to the damaged nail bed, with the left one being considerably worse; it's only actually attached to about half of the nail bed. Pretty sure I broke the tip of that finger when I smashed it, but I never went to the hospital for it.

I've smooshed several with a hammer or prybar, run one between a belt and pulley, shattered / split one with a handsaw, and on that left index finger, smooshed it between a 10 lb and a 4 lb hammer - try that one out if you're looking for fun.
    I had a 2" diameter 10" long brass drift that i had turned down to drive a gimball bearing out of a midplate .
    I had the biggest dead blow in my arsenal and i twisted funny when i made the first strike..
    Didn't smash a nail, just a piece of finger meat just north of the palm meat..in the first finger link from the palm.
    Anyway, it wasnt a blood blister type thing, it looked like a cheesy movie scene. Blood just squirted on the fiberglass hull immediately....pop-splat then the throb with every heartbeat and more blood with every throb.

My GF is a powerlifter and she, somehow, smashed the ring finger between the bar of a dumbbell and the metal structure of one of the benches at the gym doing some kind of exercise with it. Like 25kg od dumbbell. Finger was blown, bone broken, nail lost.. BUT the docs used it as a splinter to keep everything together (stithches through the nail and all). It took a few months for it to get back to semi-normail.

I have had black toe nails several times due to prolonged use of climbing shoes in long routes. It takes quite a few months for them to heal (grow a new one underneath). Try to keep the busted nail on as long as you can, at the very least, it will guide the new one in place, otherwise you can get some nasty issues (nail incarnation on the sides, infection, etc.)

Sorry about that nail, give it some time.